Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to register as self employed?

Options
  • 17-07-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Query: if you started something part time but it gained steam, when is best practice to register as self employed with Revenue? I understand for amounts less than €5000 you can report it on the Form 12 yearly, presume you can offset any losses against this?

Or would it depend largely on the sector? For example odd IT jobs done for someone you know vs selling stuff to the general public?
    Is there even any best practices for when it’d go from (odd jobs vs selling on eBay) to counting as self employed?
    Presuming also that if it did take off that you can backdate registeration by a few months (as long as it’s the same tax period, I know VAT can’t but that’s not an issue yet)?

Possibly overthinking this? Would best practice to just register nearing the threshold or if/when it seems like it’ll be a long term thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It takes your wages into account as far as i know. researching it for myself at the moment. so in my case im over the threshold before I sell anything

Advertisement