Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build won't POST

Options
  • 18-07-2018 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I just bought these components:

Ryzen 3 2200g
    Asus - TUF B350M-Plus Gaming
    XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB DDR4 (1x16GB)

However when i put em all in, connected the two power cables to the motherboard (the large one for the mobo and the small one for the CPU) and flip the power it doesn't POST. There's no output on the DBI/HDMI ports, nor are there any beep codes. I even tried popping in a GPU from an older machine to see if i'd get any output on that - but nothing showed up there either :(

The motherboard apparently (according to the sticker on the box *and* the sticker on the motherboard itself) has already had the appropriate bios update applied so it should be compatible with this chip. It should have bios revision 3203.

I connected my earphones to the front audio jack and rear audio jack in case the beep codes were being emitted there, but they weren't. If the only way of getting mobo beep codes is from a case speaker then i'm kinda screwed because I don't have a speaker to connect :p

Any thoughts on what I need to do to diagnose this futher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A mobo without LED post codes nowadays...the mind boggles...

From your description it sounds like you've zero evidence of power to the board. Paperclip test? Is the PSU known good? Have you shorted the PWR pins on the mobo directly (a case switch is a common failure, cheapo component).

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

ED E wrote: »
    A mobo without LED post codes nowadays...the mind boggles...

From your description it sounds like you've zero evidence of power to the board. Paperclip test? Is the PSU known good? Have you shorted the PWR pins on the mobo directly (a case switch is a common failure, cheapo component).

Sorry - the cpu fan spins up and there are lights on the motherboard which show it is powering up. If I pop in a separate GPU it powers up too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sounds like the motherboard is DOA, though do do the trick ED E mentioned
    Have you shorted the PWR pins on the mobo directly

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Sounds like the motherboard is DOA, though do do the trick ED E mentioned

The power button is functional. If I press it all the lights turn on, the gpu fans spin up and the cpu fan spins up.

While it could be a DOA motherboard, it is the second motherboard which fails to POST. There is a very high chance the first motherboard did not have a new enough BIOS to handle the ryzen processor (which is why i returned it and got one which *does* have a new enough bios).

It sounds like there's nothing further i can do other than replace more components, including the motherboard, until things work. I've applied to AMD for their boot kit (they ship you an old processor so you can POST and update the bios yourself) and also an RMA on my processor in case the issue is that the processor itself is broken. I'll also go buy another stick of RAM in the meantime and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You could have gotten unlucky with the new motherboard again... Have you swapped display cables and ensured that it works?

• Advertisement

I used the onboard DVI and HDMI ports and also the DVI and HDMI ports on my GPU when I popped that in for testing purposes. I connected to both a monitor and my TV :) Nothing gave any output, which is why i assume the thing isn't POSTing.

Is there a computer shop I can go to around the Dublin city centre area which would let me bring the case/motherboard/ram/CPU and be able to test it and swap components until we figure out what's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you've skipped the simple bit, buy a speaker - get the bleep code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Where you based moon?

Someone on adverts selling motherboard speakers based blanchardstown dublin if your near there.

http://www.adverts.ie/12039282

Ah nice! I'd been ringing around to try and get a motherboard speaker but most people I spoke to had no idea what i was even asking for! I had nearly given up on getting one from anywhere except ebay/china, with the usual multi-week slow delivery ;p

I bought one so hopefully that'll shed some light on the matter once i get it connected!

Thanks!

So... I bought the motherboard speaker, plugged it in, and nothing happened.

I tested it out in my old computer by popping out the RAM and, luckily, it beeped. So right now I think all signs point to a dead/defective motherboard. The current state of things is as follows:

1 - with nothing at all in the motherboard other than the motherboard speaker no lights turn on and nothing activates.

2 - If I pop in the CPU then lights turn on, fans turn on, but no beeps from the speaker and it doesn’t post.

3 - If I also pop in the ram nothing changes.

The lack of beeps when the RAM is missing is a bad sign. I’ll RMA it today and see what the replacement does for me. Urgh!

• Advertisement

Oh, i also tried replacing the CMOS battery but that didn't help either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

Could be a problem with the BIOS perhaps? Some AM4 motherboards ship with old BIOS versions that don't support the new generation Ryzen 3 APUs. This is definitely the case with some Gigabyte motherboards. You might need to ship the motherboard back to the manufacturer to flash the BIOS to support the APU. Or you could try getting a "boot kit" from AMD. They will ship you an older version CPU which is supported by an early BIOS on AM4. This will allow you to boot, then flash the BIOS. Then you can replace the CPU from the boot kit with your Ryzen 3 APU. The "boot kit" then gets shipped back to AMD who reimburse you for it. If you can get your hands on a loan AM4 CPU which is supported by the older BIOS, that would be the best solution, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Did you do a test build outside the case? If not take the mobo out of the case and rest it on the mobo box. Try it there, could be shorting in the case.

Advertisement