Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You might want to hold off on buying a new i9 Macbook Pro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

It will look good in Starbucks though whilst you're writing your novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

On the one hand this is bad.... On the other hand I have little pity for someone who buys a macbook pro.

I'm very conflicted over this....

On the one hand this is bad.... On the other hand I have little pity for someone who buys a macbook pro.

I'm very conflicted over this....

Meh, if you have the cash, Macbooks are good. Never had a Pro but had a regular 13" one nearly a decade ago and enjoyed it. Then Linux for two years, and now back to Windows where I'll stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nice bit of an aul macbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have a 2013 Macbook Pro. The resale value for it is more than I paid in 2013! It was my first MacBook so I'm not huge into the history and ins and outs of the different models but it reads like my MBP was the last really good one made. They must have changed their tact when Jobs died.
    I like my MacBook but don't think I'd pay the money for another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

jacksie66 wrote: »
    It's gas that you have to buy a separate adaptor to plug your apple iPhone into your apple macbook..

Sure I've been in meetings where we handed around a Macbook Air because we couldn't connect it to the projector without the right dongle. Those rare HDMI interfaces...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At €3,000 €4,000 (!) a pop, you can be pretty sure I'll be steering clear of Apple's 100% markup laptops for a long time to come OP.

Overpriced rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Just get a mac mini

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Meh, if you have the cash, Macbooks are good. Never had a Pro but had a regular 13" one nearly a decade ago and enjoyed it. Then Linux for two years, and now back to Windows where I'll stay.

A macbook from 10 years ago is a different beast, much better than the style over substance rubbish these days. I just pushed the button on a new pc laptop and I'm retiring my mac, I got an incredible spec for less than mac money and I can upgrade my own ram/ssd when I want to.

• Advertisement

Some family members have macs but i never got into them at all. Windows for gaming anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Fierce expensive paperweight....
    Although the kind of person who buys one wouldn't know what paper is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A macbook from 10 years ago is a different beast, much better than the style over substance rubbish these days.
    This. They had their pros and cons, but over the last few years I really don't know what they're smoking. Perfect example: dropping their clever and very practical magnetic connection for power on their laptops in favour of USB 3 "thunderbolt" sockets(indeed the only connections on them). I suspect because "it looks good". Their aesthetic design was always part of their appeal, but it was backed up with good engineering design too. Put it this way; the laptop we use today regardless of the OS owes a huge debt to Apple's design and innovations down the years(obvious things like keyboard near the screen, palm rest below. Trackpads. to name but two). Now the aesthetic types seem to have taken over. QV Jonathon Ives.

EG: Powerbook G3 from twenty years ago.

pismobatt-500x500.jpg

Two decades old with USB, Firewire, DVD writer(remember those), RAM expandable to one Gb, Hard drive up to 120 Gb, wireless, ethernet, 8-10 hour battery life with two batteries on board, upgradable CPU. There wasn't another manufacturers laptop that could rival it.

When even many dyed in the wool Mac fans consider a four or five year old Macbook better than their latest models it speaks volumes. It's convenient to pin down the fall off with Steve Jobs' death, but it fits well with when the rot set in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I'd say you did, you dirty minx!

Yeah, a 13" black one was all I wanted back then, though I reckon I'd prefer a 15"-17" by now. A lot more room for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Is the MacBook even a core product any more though?
    Is Apple even a 'computer' company anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

i have a mid 2010 macbook pro , it's still great, one of the last bunch that you could change the battery, ram and harddrive , now it's needlessly soldered or glued on . apple are damaging themselves but they don't care as they know the iphone is the cash cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

valoren wrote: »
    Is the MacBook even a core product any more though?
    Is Apple even a 'computer' company anymore?

Yes, they still are.

I doubt the validity of this claim based on one guy on reddit. Overclocked CPU’s can clamp their power but the question would be why it was overclocked in general use. I doubt that that is common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

i'm hoping my next macbook pro will have an arm cpu, 22 hr battery life, and have a micro led display (so i can use it outdoors in the sunlight) . not realistic, arm cpu's are prob 2020 at the earliest, micro led displays, a few years after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's not just Macbooks to be fair.. a lot of the recent ultrabook models from other manufacturers perform worse than some of their older versions because of compromises made to keep the heat down and the chassis thinner.
    I manage an IT department and it's something we've seen with each new generation of laptop we've ordered.

As padjocollins said above as well, they've also become less user-serviceable with everything now soldered to the motherboard (rather than replaceable RAM, CPU etc) and hard to work on from a servicing perspective.
    Even "normal" non-Ultrabook models have been affected. The Lenovo T470 and new T480 for example are a pain to open up and the plastics are extremely thin (we've already had to replace one bottom cover because it wouldn't properly latch to the dock). It used to be that you could just swap a bad CPU or whatever but now its a whole new motherboard each time. This will also hurt the value once they go out of warranty.

It's a combination of the rush towards lower costs/more profit and a consumer drive to want everything as thin and light as possible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Pick up a pencil and avoid the distraction of the internet every time you do a bit of research even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was given the a macbook pro in work last year. I'd only used windows and linux till then. It's rock solid hardware wise but the OS still feels lacking. I'd never buy it for myself. It costs a fecking fortune and it won't run most games. For that price I could get a windows machine with better spec that would do everything the macbook does and more.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This. They had their pros and cons, but over the last few years I really don't know what they're smoking. Perfect example: dropping their clever and very practical magnetic connection for power on their laptops in favour of USB 3 "thunderbolt" sockets(indeed the only connections on them). I suspect because "it looks good". Their aesthetic design was always part of their appeal, but it was backed up with good engineering design too. Put it this way; the laptop we use today regardless of the OS owes a huge debt to Apple's design and innovations down the years(obvious things like keyboard near the screen, palm rest below. Trackpads. to name but two). Now the aesthetic types seem to have taken over. QV Jonathon Ives.

EG: Powerbook G3 from twenty years ago.

pismobatt-500x500.jpg

Two decades old with USB, Firewire, DVD writer(remember those), RAM expandable to one Gb, Hard drive up to 120 Gb, wireless, ethernet, 8-10 hour battery life with two batteries on board, upgradable CPU. There wasn't another manufacturers laptop that could rival it.

When even many dyed in the wool Mac fans consider a four or five year old Macbook better than their latest models it speaks volumes. It's convenient to pin down the fall off with Steve Jobs' death, but it fits well with when the rot set in.

I mentioned in a previous post that I have a macbook pro. The one with that touch bar thingy. I get all the latest accessories in work. So I have a mac keyboard and the magic mouse. Both keyboard and mouse come with a regular usb connection for connecting to the macbook. And you need to connect them by cable to sync them the first time. However as you mentioned, the macbook has usb-c. So apple actually provide accessories that you can't fecking connect to the computer.

Macs are far far superior to windows machines despite what the Apple haters like to think. They are expensive but so are comparible windows machines problem is people compare an Aldi bargin laptop to a MacBook Pro and cry about it being way more expensive.

I have a top of the range windows laptop provided by work and it’s left in the drawer of my desk gathering dust as I much prefer to use my own mackbook pro instead which on paper has lower spec but in practic is far superior.

As the saying goes, once you go Mac you’ll never go back.

Macs are far far superior to windows machines despite what the Apple haters like to think. They are expensive but so are comparible windows machines problem is people compare an Aldi bargin laptop to a MacBook Pro and cry about it being way more expensive.

I have a top of the range windows laptop provided by work and it’s left in the drawer of my desk gathering dust as I much prefer to use my own mackbook pro instead which on paper has lower spec but in practic is far superior.

Did you just make up that "saying", nox

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Did you just make up that "saying", nox

Nope, that saying has been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Just as an example:

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/laptops/sc/laptops/xps-laptops

Better reviews than current macbooks, upgradable unlike macbooks, comparable design and build quality and cheaper.

Go look at dell or any site. You'll find the same spec for less.

This is a macbook prop with an i5 and 8gb of ram.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MR9R2B/A&step=config#

The same speced Surface book from microsoft costs hundreds less.

It's not that there are apple haters. It's that there are realists and apple fanboys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    And you need to connect them by cable to sync them the first time. However as you mentioned, the macbook has usb-c. So apple actually provide accessories that you can't fecking connect to the computer.
    The Magic Mouse and wireless Keyboard are Bluetooth and don't require a cable to sync.

The touch bar yoke is in my humble a solution to a non existent problem, with added complication for no good reason. IE a gimmick.
    Macs are far far superior to windows machines despite what the Apple haters like to think.
    I've been pretty much exclusively Mac since 1989(SE, followed soon after by an SE30. My first portable was a PowerBook 180 in around 93), so yeah been in the game for nearly 30 years and through their "Apple's going bust next week" doldrums of the late 90's, so I'm certainly no "hater". However in the last few years their products have taken an obvious dive in engineering design. Reliability dropped too. The MacBooks are well known for video cards crapping out and not just one model either. Innovation took a hit with it. So while I would still massively prefer the OS environment over Windows(I was never a gamer which makes a difference) and keep using them, their draw is less than it was. Like I said given a choice between a free brand new Macbook of any model and one from 3 or 5, hell even 8 years ago I'd take the latter. No way would I have said that in 2010. Plenty in the trade would tell you similar.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I also dislike the new reddit design... and Apple.

E

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

It's not that there are apple haters. It's that there are realists and apple fanboys.
    Oh there are "apple haters" alright. Have encountered a few down the years. It was more in play in the past though. The period when Macs were significantly easier to use for actual work(and farting about) than Windows PC's. In said past I found the more geeky a computer "nerd" was - got the horn for command line types because that's real computing - the more they disliked Apple. They weren't "real computers", mainly because "ordinary people" could use them and didn't need a geeky type to help them to nearly the same extent they would with Windows. That's far less in play nowadays as OS's are pretty much on parity there. Another "apple hater" type was those who considered them PC's for "Arty types" or the more flush with money. There was a fair bit of snobbery going both ways.

I personally preferred Macs simply because they were easier and more intuitive to use and work on and fix and yep didn't look like a lump of industrial office equipment. Again that's far less in play now. And much of that is down to Apple's existence and innovation of the past. Their innovation was rarely enough of the pure engineering kind, it was of the integration and design kind though. Others often brought engineering innovation to market ahead of Apple, but Apple made it more seamless, less clunky and easier to use.

Most people aren't geeks or engineers - who tend to love complexity and customisation - and don't want a million different options and buttons, they just want it simple and easy to use instinctively. That was Jobs' true talent for knowing and exploiting that in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I like the way the Apple logo glows on the Macs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I 100% guarantee the all too real stereotype Apple consumer superfan will buy that and insist it is infinitely better than the '8' version they had was, just as they insist it's worth paying an extra €800+ every 18 months to have a new letter at the end of their iPhone.

Not saying all people with Apple products at all at all, but there is a large cohort of Apple consumers that are almost unlike any others in how eager they are to part with huge amounts of money for no actual real gain, time and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Billy86 wrote: »
    I 100% guarantee the all too real stereotype Apple consumer superfan will buy that and insist it is infinitely better than the '8' version they had was, just as they insist it's worth paying an extra €800+ every 18 months to have a new letter at the end of their iPhone.

Not saying all people with Apple products at all at all, but there is a large cohort of Apple consumers that are almost unlike any others in how eager they are to part with huge amounts of money for no actual real gain, time and again.

Macbook pros are famously kept for many years.... maybe this one won't be but don't muddy the waters bringing up iphones. People do the same with all flagship phones that cost many hundreds of euros

I'm not at all pro apple, I have an android phone, non apple desktop pc, etc. But have to use macbook pros all the time in work because everyone has a 6 year old one they won't let out of their grip till they die. Certainly not being replaced every time a new one comes out

8GB of DDR4 or an i5 processor is not faster on one or the other, the OS might be preferential but it won't make a noticeable difference unless your hardware is just poor (or deceptive, e.g. looks great apart from one spot they skimped on that winds up hamstringing the whole machine). I think Windows 8 was one of the best things to happen to Apple in a long while as it was an utter clusterf*** and simply terrible OS, but Windows 10 I far prefer to anything I have used before and really feel that Microsoft nailed it there.

I went back from Mac a few years ago after switching to it in the early 2000s. I get some might prefer the interface and for a good while it was light years ahead in terms of design as Wibbs mentioned, but after a while I noticed I was paying a significant markup for the exact same machine. Added to that, the whole move they have made of needing Apple products for basically everything attached would have been an automatic deal breaker for me... I remember how easily the one in my MacBook 10-odd years back broke, or more to the point, that is cost something like €80 to replace a fecking charging wire.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Walk in to any tech conference, developer meet up or large software company and the place is filled with Macs, but of course it's only the tech illiterate that use Macs :rolleyes:
    I think I've read that that is to do with availability of programming software and the ability to programme for many other platforms/OS's than on Linux or Windows, which doesn't exactly apply to most Apple users. On top of Mac's typically 'looking' better of course, which in my opinion is something companies put far too much emphasis on quite frequently.

There is also the 'comfort' factor, personally I never noticed it on Mac but so many people cite it that it definitely is a thing - and as developers would be staring at the thing for 8, 10, 12 hours a day or more the likes of better mouse and keyboard hardware can definitely make a difference in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

8GB of DDR4 or an i5 processor is not faster on one or the other, the OS might be preferential but it won't make a noticeable difference unless your hardware is just poor (or deceptive, e.g. looks great apart from one spot they skimped on that winds up hamstringing the whole machine). I think Windows 8 was one of the best things to happen to Apple in a long while as it was an utter clusterf*** and simply terrible OS, but Windows 10 I far prefer to anything I have used before and really feel that Microsoft nailed it there.

Have to disagree there.

Windows 8 was a mistake from a UI perspective (mostly the start screen), but that's easy fixed with something like Classic Shell or Start8. Once done, you never have to see any of the "Modern UI" if you don't want to.. it becomes Windows 7 (still their best OS IMO) with a significant speed boost and useful Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer) tweaks.

Windows 10 on the other hand... leaving aside the privacy issues which are significant, is an OS that will never be finished - with significant feature changes (and removals) every 6 months, unavoidable patches that may or may not break things, a Start Menu primarily intended to advertise "apps" and unwanted games (which are reinstalled every time you do a major update too), and ultimately even more inconsistent between its various elements than Windows 8 is/was.

This is annoying from a consumer/home user perspective, but in a business where stability and reliability is key it's a much, much larger issue.

Macbook pros are famously kept for many years....
    That's true. They hold much better resale value too. Years back Disney went over to Mac and the reasons given were that while initial purchase price was higher(though no doubt they got a sweet deal) they lasted longer and depreciated less, required noticeably less software and hardware support, were less vulnerable to viruses and other malware and all of this impacted the bottom line.
    OSI wrote: »
    Walk in to any tech conference, developer meet up or large software company and the place is filled with Macs, but of course it's only the tech illiterate that use Macs :rolleyes:
    To be fair that's a relatively recent development. Pre say 2005 the only time you'd generally see a Mac in the hands of high end geeks, engineers and hackers was in the script of a Hollywood flic. In 2000 you'd be very hard pressed to find any non specifically Mac dev type with one. This is a thing pretty much since their OS went fully over to a Unix based one with tools that allowed them to run other OS's like Windows and various shades of Unix natively. In that regard they're still the most versatile. A while back I had MacOS, Windows and Linux running natively and seamlessly on three partitions and it was piss easy to do. Sure you can get a Dell to run MacOS(AKA a Hackintosh), but it would be a hack and not a stable one. At least not for the average user.

Actually one area where Mac laptops are still ahead in my experience is in the use and feel of trackpads. I have found every PC trackpad I've used very much lacking by comparison. Some worse than others. It seems to be some software thing as running Windows on my MacBook the trackpad was the usual meh until I installed the apple supplied Windows trackpad driver. Major difference after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I was once at the house of a person who owns Mac and asked them what the WiFi password was. They said they didn't know, they have a Mac and it just connects by itself...Ok then.

There’s plenty of criticism of Apple’s Mac strategy on Apple dedicated fora. In particular people feel the Mac is disregarded compared to the iPhone.

On the other hand plenty of geeks who once hated Apple have macs because of the unix base. And the hardware is reliable.

I think they have messed up since 2015. In fact I upgraded my 2011 model to 2015 this year and touchbar be damned.

doylefe wrote: »
    I was once at the house of a person who owns Mac and asked them what the WiFi password was. They said they didn't know, they have a Mac and it just connects by itself...Ok then.

Someone may have set that up for them, or they forgot, and then of course they are right. It does automatically connect.

Actually there’s also a technique to allow someone else access to your WiFi without a password if they own a Mac or iPhone and if they are in your contacts.

doylefe wrote: »
    In a way an example of their "it just does stuff", switch it on and away you go. Obviously whoever set up their Mac in the first place just typed in the wifi password and it has kept the connection. That's a positive attribute, though has its negativities too. Everyday Mac users tend to be a bit too relaxed when it comes to security for example. Assuming Apple has taken care of all that. Windows users tend to be more aware, even paranoid and more up to speed with such things. Kinda like the difference between your average go to work and the shops hatchback driver and your petrolhead into get his or her hands greasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

It will look good in Starbucks though whilst you're writing your novel.

Same act can be performed in COSTA outlets like Tge Square Tallaght, and Aungier street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement