Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You might want to hold off on buying a new i9 Macbook Pro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dave Lee's channel is fascinating, you can see him struggling to maintain his optimism about the Apple brand in the last few months.

Glad to see he's being honest to himself and his viewers.

Less than 60FPS in Fortnite, with medium settings, on a 10K $$$ laptop is a laughably sinister joke.

It will look good in Starbucks though whilst you're writing your novel.

Michael Hitchcock & the lovely Parker Posey.
    Best in Show (2000) IMDB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Love my late 2013 Macbook Air, had a 2008 Macbook pro before that which was class, though took me a while to get used to the OS.

However I switched from iPhone to Samsung, The fact that you can just connect up your Samsung/Android via USB to your laptop and copy files across like it were a USB stick/regualr drive is almost reason enough for me to never ever go back to an iPhone.

Interesting comments here including all the sneering at Apple laptop users.

I'll keep it all in mind whenever I'm replacing this laptop. I could well move back to PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had a gorgeous 17 inch powerbook & I also owned one of the first, click wheel i pods. Now I wouldn't buy Apple. My phone is Chinese, €200 & faultless. I don't care if people think I am inferior for not believing Apple's hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Mac Book pros look good when your 20 sitting in Starbucks writing your college assignments. Essential soya cappuccino by your side because you say your lactose intolerant (even though your not, it just sounds trendy and cool these days to be dairy free and stylish to say you have an allergy to).

On a serious note I wouldn't buy a MacBook pro unless I was doing serious video editing work for a living or similar. Too fckn expensive for regular everyday use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭893bet

It's trendy for other people to say having a mac book in Apple is trendy.

Trendception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

tinpib wrote: »
    Love my late 2013 Macbook Air, had a 2008 Macbook pro before that which was class, though took me a while to get used to the OS.

However I switched from iPhone to Samsung, The fact that you can just connect up your Samsung/Android via USB to your laptop and copy files across like it were a USB stick/regualr drive is almost reason enough for me to never ever go back to an iPhone.

Interesting comments here including all the sneering at Apple laptop users.

I'll keep it all in mind whenever I'm replacing this laptop. I could well move back to PC.
    Errr what? Why would they not give you that option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Apple are doing their very best to lose anything but their Starbucks clientele.

MBPs used to be excellent machines up to about 2015. Overpriced but excellent machines all the same.
    Most of the stuff said here is rubbish spouted by begrudgers.

I have two MBPs and wouldn't ever go back to Windows anyway. Maybe you cant get around it if you're gaming but it used to be cr@p and now thats its stable its just nagware and the amount of viruses and malware for it is staggering. Almost impossible to escape that sh1t for Joe Soap.

Thargor wrote: »
    Errr what? Why would they not give you that option?

Maybe others can weigh in here but in my experience, you can't connect up an iPhone to your laptop, in my case a Macbook and have it appear as a drive.
    So you can't just copy on mp3 files for example.

It would always automatically connect to iTunes which is designed by Satan himself. It's a pain to use and tries to sync up your laptop and iPhone music automatically when you don't want it to. Absolutely awful.

Also wanted to just copy photos off my fathers iphone to go down and get physical copies printed. Couldn't just copy off the iPhone, the fix I came up with was uploading the ones I wanted to the cloud, then downloading them onto a laptop then onto a usb stick.

Maybe there is a more straightforward way but it certainly wasn't obvious to me. Total and utter head ****. What should be intuitive is not.

There used to be some wee Chinese hack app utility called something like iTools? This is back maybe 8 years ago, and it got around all that and you could use your iPhone like a drive and just copy files back and forth, then it stopped working.

Apple don't want you fiddling with their stuff. If you read about Jobs or see the movie he was the polar opposite to Steve Wosniak who wanted everything open so you could muck around with it.

Anyway, as I say maybe there is an obvious way around it I don't know about.

• Advertisement

You can copy photos directly from an iPhone no problem whatsoever, once you connect the phone to a laptop it pops up as an external drive and you can simply copy and paste photos.

You can’t copy and paste music but firstly who cares, its much neater to use iTunes and secondly who actually copies music to a phone any more when you have Spotify?

I wouldn’t dirty my hand with an android and never will, Mac, iPad and iPhone all the way!

You can copy photos directly from an iPhone no problem whatsoever, once you connect the phone to a laptop it pops up as an external drive and you can simply copy and paste photos.

You can’t copy and paste music but firstly who cares, its much neater to use iTunes and secondly who actually copies music to a phone any more when you have Spotify?

I wouldn’t dirty my hand with an android and never will, Mac, iPad and iPhone all the way!

Out of curiosity, I'm just trying it right now with my fathers newer iPhone.

It's not showing up as a drive on my Macbook but it is opening up a 'camera upload' window offering to upload photos to dropbox automatically.

This is what I'm talking about. I expect it to be a drive, not being forced into uploading to the cloud. It's like what I said above, I was forced into using iTunes instead of having my free will to do whatever I like with files.

In finder I intuitively think it should show up as a drive, like say when I connect my old Kindle, but it doesn't.

Maybe there is a way around it but it's not intuitive, it's bullsh!t.

Regarding the part in bold, I would like to have the choice.

tinpib wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I'm just trying it right now with my fathers newer iPhone.

It's not showing up as a drive on my Macbook but it is opening up a 'camera upload' window offering to upload photos to dropbox automatically.

This is what I'm talking about. I expect it to be a drive, not being forced into uploading to the cloud. It's like what I said above, I was forced into using iTunes instead of having my free will to do whatever I like with files.

In finder I intuitively think it should show up as a drive, like say when I connect my old Kindle, but it doesn't.

Maybe there is a way around it but it's not intuitive, it's bullsh!t.

Regarding the part in bold, I would like to have the choice.

Sorry I assumed you were talking about a windows machine, on windows it shows as a drive on a mac open the photos app and you will see the phone (e.g. "nox's iPhone) on the list on the left, you can import the photos into the the photos app there and this saves them on the hard drive. After they are imported to Photos you can save them elsewhere by simply selecting the photos you want and click export and you can save them in any folder you want on the mac.

To be honest i rarely do this either as all my photos from the iPhone are backed up to one drive automatically so I never really save phone photos to the mac, usually only DSLR photos are imported to the mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you want to spend 1000s on a facebook machine because you think it's somehow superior to android or windows best of luck to you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apple are doing their very best to lose anything but their Starbucks clientele.

MBPs used to be excellent machines up to about 2015. Overpriced but excellent machines all the same.
    Would sum it up for me TBH. The last time I saw them take a serious quality and design dive was in the late 90's just before Steve Jobs came back. Difference then being they were going downhill in the money department. Now they're raking it in on the phone/pad side and have dropped the ball. Their iMacs are still pretty good for what they are, their towers are a tiny niche market and they seem to be at a complete loss for ideas on their laptop side.

They were nearly always more expensive, save for a period in the early mid noughties where their laptops were on spec parity for the same price, sometimes less(when internal DVD burners came out on laptops Apple's ones were cheaper). The whole fashion/style thing I get, even the extra price for their OS and its environment(which for non nerdy folks is easier), but when their offerings are so lacklustre and three, four even ten year old MacBooks are demonstrably better than brand new ones that extra cash is of no "value" anymore.

I've a MacBook Pro i7 15 inch Retina from 2015, with a terabyte drive and 16 gigs of ram and no bloody way would I swap it for any of the new lineup. I wouldn't swap a new one for the 2012 models. TBH given a choice between brand new and a MacBook core duo 15" from 2008 I'd still take the ten year old one. I'd just max the ram and slap in an SSD. Job done. That's a conversation you'd walk a very long way to hear from a Windows head, who would think me mad for not buying the latest kit, which IMHO says it all about how far Apple have screwed up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

android and the mac OS are related (both based on *nix). Macs used to (dont know about these days) be of a pretty high quality. The hilarious thing I find is many anti -mac people are so because its the trend to be. they've never used a mac in their lives, but like to sound cool coming out with crap. Windows is - as any right minded person will admit - an abomination. Slow, uses massive amounts of ram, gets malware at the drop of a hat and crashes quite a bit. on my desk right now is a machine running Linux Mint, a machine running windows 10 and a mac (from 2012). two of those machines are great. the third is - for a brand new machine with 16gbs of ram - quite slow in comparison to the other two. I'll leave that to yourselves to work out which of the three it is. To me, thats what defines a machine - real life working situations.

maccored wrote: »
    android and the mac OS are related (both based on *nix). Macs used to (dont know about these days) be of a pretty high quality. The hilarious thing I find is many anti -mac people are so because its the trend to be. they've never used a mac in their lives, but like to sound cool coming out with crap. Windows is - as any right minded person will admit - an abomination. Slow, uses massive amounts of ram, gets malware at the drop of a hat and crashes quite a bit. on my desk right now is a machine running Linux Mint, a machine running windows 10 and a mac (from 2012). two of those machines are great. the third is - for a brand new machine with 16gbs of ram - quite slow in comparison to the other two. I'll leave that to yourselves to work out which of the three it is. To me, thats what defines a machine - real life working situations.

You're talking cobblers. Windows now has AV built in and isn't as fragile as you make it out to be. There are some very very annoying habits/bugs/features on Apple products, stop making it out like you've purchased gold plated angel turds with a keyboard and screen attached..

Software has changed a lot too, this idea that some magical +5 workflow stat happens if you edit video/audio on a Mac is just bunkum. A windows laptop/PC has no issues now with the likes of Cuda and whatever AMD offer. The software suites are there, on both OS's.

Buy the machine that suits your needs and use it, but kindly stop looking down at us Windows users with your big ol' spindly toffee nose..

I'd happily use a Mac, but, I refuse to buy a machine with soldered on parts, I refuse to use a machine with a riveted keyboard.

Anyone following Louis Rossmann's channel on YouTube will quickly realise what an insidious company Apple is at the moment, with their approach to hardware. The push against the right to repair, sending in ICE agents to Apple repair shops and using intellectual property legislation to stop/sue suppliers of, repurposed/recycled, internal parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Think a YouTube channel like Dave 2D is sharp about Apple?

Check this video out from Louis rossman

https://youtu.be/_hYHwkIuEMo

Amalgam wrote: »
    You're talking cobblers. Windows now has AV built in and isn't as fragile as you make it out to be. There are some very very annoying habits/bugs/features on Apple products, stop making it out like you've purchased gold plated angel turds with a keyboard and screen attached..

Software has changed a lot too, this idea that some magical +5 workflow stat happens if you edit video/audio on a Mac is just bunkum. A windows laptop/PC has no issues now with the likes of Cuda and whatever AMD offer. The software suites are there, on both OS's.

Buy the machine that suits your needs and use it, but kindly stop looking down at us Windows users with your big ol' spindly toffee nose..

I'd happily use a Mac, but, I refuse to buy a machine with soldered on parts, I refuse to use a machine with a riveted keyboard.

Anyone following Louis Rossmann's channel on YouTube will quickly realise what an insidious company Apple is at the moment, with their approach to hardware. The push against the right to repair, sending in ICE agents to Apple repair shops and using intellectual property legislation to stop/sue suppliers of, repurposed/recycled, internal parts.

No matter what apple is, theres no point trumping windows as some form of OS thats worth using. hogs ram, runs slow and when you drill into it, its based off the same frame as windows 2000.

I used windows every single day, though to be honest, now that I have the linux machine on the network, logging in using AD and connecting to the Exchange server, Im using less of it every day.

the fact you think macs are for editing video I think says it all really. come back to me when you start using computers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wibbs wrote: »
    To be fair that's a relatively recent development. Pre say 2005 the only time you'd generally see a Mac in the hands of high end geeks, engineers and hackers was in the script of a Hollywood flic. In 2000 you'd be very hard pressed to find any non specifically Mac dev type with one.

I've worked in and around development for coming up to 25 years. In that time I've worked with, both colleagues and clients, 2 people who used a Macbook. One was an unashamed self proclaimed Apple fan and it was his personal machine, still couldn't do half the stuff he needed on it as s/w wasn't easily available. The other was in sales and thought it would look better to clients if he had the most expensive machine in the office, just for word processing.

I suppose we're an old skool software house though, around long before you had your fancy loungers and coffee machines in the corner, it was all about practicality.

I do like their aesthetics and feel, but never was a fan of their usability, I just didn't get the argument put forward that they were easier to use. They are the machine of choice though for those in design.

Someone mentioned a Thinkpad T420 earlier in the thread, had one for years and ran it into the ground. Still have it but it's not a daily use anymore. I think the Thinkpads suffered a little once Lenovo took over the brand as I'm on my second Lenovo one at this stage.

• Advertisement

No matter what apple is, theres no point trumping windows as some form of OS thats worth using. hogs ram, runs slow and when you drill into it, its based off the same frame as windows 2000.

I used windows every single day, though to be honest, now that I have the linux machine on the network, logging in using AD and connecting to the Exchange server, Im using less of it every day.

the fact you think macs are for editing video I think says it all really. come back to me when you start using computers

I never said that, what I was alluding to was the assumption that there's an easier workflow with certain software (Adobe) on the Apple OS, that is no longer the case, and quite possibly, never was..

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

OSI wrote: »
    Walk in to any tech conference, developer meet up or large software company and the place is filled with Macs, but of course it's only the tech illiterate that use Macs :rolleyes:

Erm …. not in our office, macs aren't allowed as they are not up to the task and heavily overpriced. We run XPS13's & 5520's instead and the devs love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Macs are sexy machines, but I personally just could not justify the cost, add in any potential compatibility issues and expensive ancillary products like charging cables and it's just a no-brainer really. Plus there's no doubt macs are just a fashion statement to many users, which is a little annoying.

I was a linux user for a while also but little things really annoyed me. Like the machine not recognizing the fact Netflix was playing and going to sleep, I know I can download tools to stop this but, tbh, I don't want to have to do that. It's annoying.

Back to windows now and it just works, for the most part, as expected. And I can go hi-spec for considerably less.

As a comparison however, Apple aren't the only ones overpricing their ****. Surface Books are also far too expensive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Walk in to any tech conference, developer meet up or large software company and the place is filled with Macs, but of course it's only the tech illiterate that use Macs :rolleyes:
    That's a fashion statement.

I work with a lot of developers. I've yet to find any who can tell me why a Mac is better for development apart from "it just is".

Startup culture from 2010/2011 valued style over substance - set up a company, get graphic designers in to make cool logos, interior designers to make your offices more "cool" than "business", have quirky work practices like a fancy dress day every month, beer friday, and so forth. And anyone who comes in won't actually care what you're building, they'll throw money at your startup.

Out of this came the idea that naturally your developers couldn't have boring old silver or black Dell laptops, they had to have the best, most stylish Mac on the market. Then the CEO can walk around wearing black turtlenecks and pretend he's Steve Jobs.
    Having a Mac then became a badge of honour for developers; if your company wouldn't give you a Mac to develop on, then it's a stuffy boring old company doing boring old things. Why don't you get a fun job at the cutting edge? And a Mac.

What platforms are most current development projects aimed at? iOS, Android and web.

No, you're obviously looking at this from a skewed perspective. Software as a service, cloud development, comms, financial services and even data centres have much more development. It's just not visible as it's not sexy, and it's the underpinnings of most businesses. iOS and Android doesn't even factor in most of this.

Software development is much, much more than some app on a phone.

In the case of web software, this is almost always hosted on Linux hosts (unless your some masochist who thinks Windows Server is up to the job of anything beyond a DC and email server.), so your choices for giving developers a stable environment to develop *nix hosted software is limited to Linux or Mac. After the IT team has spent 6 months trying to get WiFi drivers working on everyones Ubuntu installs only for the next batch of Kernel patches to **** them all up again, they're pretty damn loose with throwing everyone a MacBook instead.
    This entire paragraph is so hilariously outdated.

Have you even worked in technology since 2003?

I'll give you a few.

What platforms are most current development projects aimed at? iOS, Android and web.

In the case of iOS, you need a Mac. If your teams are working on both iOS and Android, why fragment the environments, just get Macs and everyone is working off the same platform.

In the case of web software, this is almost always hosted on Linux hosts (unless your some masochist who thinks Windows Server is up to the job of anything beyond a DC and email server.), so your choices for giving developers a stable environment to develop *nix hosted software is limited to Linux or Mac. After the IT team has spent 6 months trying to get WiFi drivers working on everyones Ubuntu installs only for the next batch of Kernel patches to **** them all up again, they're pretty damn loose with throwing everyone a MacBook instead.

Which is protectionist bullshlt. It should be illegal for Apple to do that, not brave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hurrache wrote: »
    but never was a fan of their usability, I just didn't get the argument put forward that they were easier to use.

I'd reckon H and going by some experience in the area that your background:
    I've worked in and around development for coming up to 25 years.
    makes a difference. Down the years I've met vanishingly few software or hardware engineers or techies that preferred the usability and GUI paradigm of Mac. They almost always prefer the Windows paradigm. Take Linux as an example, where the various open source bods and boddesses faced with a blank slate to come up with their own GUI could have gone the Mac app centric way and general feel, but instead went much more towards the Windows window centric direction. My personal take is that those with an engineering mind tend to feel more comfortable in the Windows type paradigm(plus with as many customisation options as possible). Indeed back in the past when MS and other GUIs were coming along the same folks tended to be a bit dismissive of them, saw them as layers of abstraction getting in the way of what they could do more elegantly and faster with command line.
    Someone mentioned a Thinkpad T420 earlier in the thread, had one for years and ran it into the ground. Still have it but it's not a daily use anymore. I think the Thinkpads suffered a little once Lenovo took over the brand as I'm on my second Lenovo one at this stage.
    +1 Thinkpads used to be real solid performers. They were rarely too cutting edge, unlike say Dell who would rush the latest whatever to market and see if it sank or swam. IBM looked at stuff that was a little behind but tested and solid.
    Amalgam wrote: »
    I never said that, what I was alluding to was the assumption that there's an easier workflow with certain software (Adobe) on the Apple OS, that is no longer the case, and quite possibly, never was..
    Oh it most certainly was. Something like Photoshop on Windows while appearing to give the same functionality was a real chore by comparison with all sorts of extra layers to get the same result a click, or even no user involvement would get on the Mac platform. EG colour calibration has been built into the Mac OS outa the box since 1993. Embedded postscript similarly. Font handling was streets ahead as was printer and scanner handling. That remained the case until at least the mid noughties and even then the Mac stuff was more seamless and doesn't require third party solutions. I've done graphic design on both PCs and Mac as recently as a couple of years ago and Windows was more of a drudge and slower as far as workflow went.

Horses for courses too. I mean you can run games on MacOS but Windows is by far the superior environment for them.
    seamus wrote: »
    I work with a lot of developers. I've yet to find any who can tell me why a Mac is better for development apart from "it just is".
    Well the obvious one I noted earlier is that you can natively run every OS out there on a Mac and without hacking them to do so. It's extremely simple to set up. A non techie minded person could set up a Macbook with MacOS, Windows, Linux with little instruction. Last year I helped a photographer chap set up his Mac to run Windows because he needed it for his accounts package and I did it over the phone. The Windows install itself was the chokepoint.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

10 years of DC Ops, SysAdmin and now DevOps, ranging from a well known internet security company, to small Irish software company, to global analytics company. All done on a Mac. All done surrounded by devs and admins on Macs.

:eek:

I still don't know what point you're trying to make, especially with the smiley, are we doing Top Trumps with the number of years we worked in the industry, because like I said, I'm heading towards my quarter century.

Funnily enough, I usually find the longer people have been in an industry the more skewed their perception becomes.

Makes no sense unless they've been sitting in a darkened room working on machine code, because you can't work in the industry that long without getting a taster and experience for a bit of everything.

Your assertion that most current development projects are aimed at iOS, Android and web is still wrong.

gartner-ww-it-spending.png

• Advertisement

That's a fashion statement.

faster plus doesnt fart and crash

This entire paragraph is so hilariously outdated.

Have you even worked in technology since 2003?

hang on - are you telling me the majority of web servers are not *nix related? That they all run windows? Really?

hang on - are you telling me the majority of web servers are not *nix related? That they all run windows? Really?
    I didn't say anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a late 2016 13" model, the first with the dreaded touchbar. They're obscenely expensive machines, but to be honest I love mine. Portability was a big issue for me so the form factor isn't just for looking cool, it's significantly thinner and lighter than the previous version and that is definitely worth something to me. I find the trackpad light years ahead of any other laptop I've used too. The keyboard I actually kind of like, but I can see why it would bother some people. The touchbar is completely pointless, and the really annoying thing is that they sold a base model without the touchbar but limited this to two USB ports only (as opposed to four on the touchbar versions). They also prevented you from speccing the top i7 chip in this version, this is the kind of anti consumer shít that put me off ever buying an apple product previously. I have never owned an iphone and I never will, I guess I just had more money than sense when I was looking for a laptop.

Comparisons with machines such as the Dell XPS laptops are just way off, they are a long way apart when it comes to overall build quality. And having owned many Dell Windows laptops I would be fairly confident of a mac outlasting them in the long term. There is a serious lack of macbook pro competitors in the Windows laptop market, the only thing really comparable are the Microsoft surface books and they're also seriously expensive.

I have Windows 10 running on it too so can happily still dip into Windows when I need to. If Apple ever start making their own chips (as rumoured) then I probably wouldn't buy another one as I need it to run both operating systems, and I assume Windows would run like shít on them.

Overall though I would say stay away unless you have a lot of disposable income, they're absolutely not worth the money if you need that money for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Which is protectionist bullshlt. It should be illegal for Apple to do that, not brave.

You mean port Xcode? That wouldn’t make any sense nor would it stop devs buying Mac.

You can develop for iOS on windows - MS has a solution.

I didn't say anything like that.

It’s not quite clear what you were saying? That’s what I read you as saying.

It’s not quite clear what you were saying? That’s what I read you as saying.
    Did you? Where? Point out the part of my post that says it.

Did you? Where? Point out the part of my post that says it.

You didn’t say anything. To a guy who said most backend was unix you replied he was living in 2003.

It’s up to you to elaborate on that.

This is going well off-topic. I started this thread to simply warn people to not buy the new Macbook because of the processor issues.

• Advertisement

You didn’t say anything. To a guy who said most backend was unix you replied he was living in 2003.
    Except that's not what he said either. And that wasn't the only thing I was responding to.

The amount of effort to refute bullsh*t is orders of magnitude greater than that required to spout it, so I'm not going to waste my time responding to things that were never said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

NEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDD FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Hurrache wrote: »
    No, you're obviously looking at this from a skewed perspective. Software as a service, cloud development, comms, financial services and even data centres have much more development. It's just not visible as it's not sexy, and it's the underpinnings of most businesses. iOS and Android doesn't even factor in most of this.

Software development is much, much more than some app on a phone.

But in fairness that's what the man said. iOs, Android & web.

The vast majority of modern enterprise development can be summarised under 'web'. Application servers & web clients and web protocols to tie it all together. I know its not exactly just a website anymore but we call it web development all the same.

It’s up to you to elaborate on that.

I second that. Most application servers sit on UNIX platforms. AIX or Linux or Solaris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I used to use my Mac purely to DJ off it, never a fan of the OS as I've always mainly used Windaz but it has grown on me a lot, I'm on my second Mac in about 8 years as I tend to buy them second hand...

I don't DJ off the laptop anymore but kept the Mac I have, it's just so fast compared to my 2 years newer windows laptop, anytime I need something done quickly I do it on the Mac, boots in seconds and is blazingly fast copying over track to USB...

I do like windows 10 though FWIW.... (shock horror!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

This could be bs but I heard that apple take great care in the selection of their hardware and the compatibility between them, that's why a mac with the same specs as another computer will run smoother, as other brands will just try and give you the highest specs for a lower cost rather than making sure that each chip they use is compatible with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Dramatik wrote: »
    This could be bs but I heard that apple take great care in the selection of their hardware and the compatibility between them, that's why a mac with the same specs as another computer will run smoother, as other brands will just try and give you the highest specs for a lower cost rather than making sure that each chip they use is compatible with each other.

The OP would suggest anything but, ha ha

Throttling I9s?

Mental stuff, what's the point in having an I9 then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fieldog wrote: »
    I used to use my Mac purely to DJ off it, never a fan of the OS as I've always mainly used Windaz but it has grown on me a lot, I'm on my second Mac in about 8 years as I tend to buy them second hand...

I don't DJ off the laptop anymore but kept the Mac I have, it's just so fast compared to my 2 years newer windows laptop, anytime I need something done quickly I do it on the Mac, boots in seconds and is blazingly fast copying over track to USB...

I do like windows 10 though FWIW.... (shock horror!)

If your PC is taking forever to start up you're likely on 5900 or even 5400RPM HDD at a guess (seems to be the most common in laptops I've looked at, 7200RPM is the usual for desktops); on SSD mine goes from the computer being off to turned on, logged in, Kodi auto-opening along with 1-2 other programmes, and Chrome open if I've clicked it in around 10 seconds. It could also explain the considerable differences in data transfers (though that could also be down to the USB ports available, e.g. 2, 3.0, 3.1, etc). Just a heads up in case it's why you're buying, because it's an easy fix to get one for €30 off Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dramatik wrote: »

You're actually right....total BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

So........where are the YouTube Apple fanboy and fangirl channels? ....

Bemused tbh that no Apple fan has posted a link from such a channel.

A shame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's two different aspects to Macbooks. Hardware and Software.

Once Apple went Intel the Hardware is no longer special.

Search the interwebs for hackintosh. (naughty) You can get OSX running on a PC / laptop. The only trick is doing a bit of research on on compatibility because there so many PC's/ laptops to choose from. Stick to a decent machine without any fancy hardware and you'll get similar build quality for a lot less.

Note
    I'm still a little upset becuse I couldn't upgrade my CPU for a sensible price because the one just a little faster than the one I got was a daft price on the internet only because it can be stuck in a Macbook. Turbo speed was the same, base speed was 4% faster. Mac users have money to burn :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement