Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EIR SPORTS

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Soarer wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but....

I bought the Eir Sport package last November at €270 for the year (or whatever it was). One off payment for 12 months subscription.
    Got a call from an Eir Sport representative on Friday, asking me if I was renewing my contract.
    I said I wasn’t as they lost a load of channels.
    She then informed me that I had to pay one month’s subscription as a penalty for not informing them that I wasn’t renewing my contract! Apparently it’s somewhere in the terms and conditions that if you’re not renewing, you have to inform them before the end of the original contract period!
    I’ve never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!
    Surely the point of a 12 month contract is that it last 12 months, and it’s not up to either party to inform the other side of anything?

Proper pi$$ed me off, but typical of Eir.
    That's a standard thing with all company's. U need to give 30 days notice to cancel or your 12 month contract turns into a rolling 30 day contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

But isn’t that with a 12 month contract where you’re paying a monthly fee?

I paid up front the full payment for my 12 months, so surely that’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

But isn’t that with a 12 month contract where you’re paying a monthly fee?

I paid up front the full payment for my 12 months, so surely that’s that?

Ye it does sound like it should inly be 12 months. Ask to see the T&C. I personally wouldn't pay a penny more

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Ye it does sound like it should inly be 12 months. Ask to see the T&C. I personally wouldn't pay a penny more

That’s my stance on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

That’s my stance on it too.

Check the T&C's but it typically reverts to a 1 month rolling contract when the initial period expires. It's pretty standard practice across nearly all industries e.g. phones on bill pay, electricity, gas etc.

If they're unwilling to give you your money back, I'd just write it off as lesson learnt.

All those examples you give are examples of where you pay a monthly fee. And yeah, you usually switch to a rolling contract when a normal 12 month “pay monthly” contract ends.
    But I paid upfront for a 12 month service.
    I’ve no direct debit, no monthly payments.
    How can they put me on a completely different contract?
    And how can they take another payment from me if I don’t/haven’t authorised it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

All those examples you give are examples of where you pay a monthly fee. And yeah, you usually switch to a rolling contract when a normal 12 month “pay monthly” contract ends.
    Very similar situation on my end but the cheecky feckers took for another 12 months without any contact!!!
    I immediatly cancelled and had my money returned to me minus 16 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

You did authorize it. When you signed up on the original contract it is stated in the T&C's. It's your fault for not reading them. (That's all assuming it is in the original T&C's of course. If it's not in there, of course your entitled to your money back)

A phone is no different. Why put you on a new plan? The exact same thing happens with sky and virgin. The fact you pay monthly is irrelevant really, that's just a different way of structuring payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭brophs

I’ll be honest with you, you don’t have a legal leg to stand on no matter how much it frustrates you or people on the internet empathise with you. The contract requires notice regardless of any payment scheduling/type. If you want to see whether they’ll waive it as a gesture of goodwill then lash away and hope for the best but they’ve done nothing ‘wrong’ any more than Virgin Media or whoever when they require notice to end the contract, whether that means the original contractual term extends or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The best thing to do with these annual payment offers is to immediately cancel when you sign up, so you get the 12 months and then it should stop. As someone else said, they're well within their rights to charge, however annoying it might be...

• Advertisement
Advertisement