Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

256k for PTSD

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Except that pesky freedom of opinion we currently enjoy.
    That's nothing to do with the basis. He's entitled to his baseless opinion all he wants. That doesn't mean anyone has to accept it or respect it. And that won't stop me pointing out that an expressed opinion without a base is just an ignorant rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

seamus wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with the basis. He's entitled to his baseless opinion all he wants. That doesn't mean anyone has to accept it or respect it.

And similarly her cheerleaders on here who also have no appropriate medical training and or access are also similarly free to ignore - at least from the side with healthy scepticism, common sense and a hatred of spongers.

There's a judgement right there which you can read.

You can't make claims about "common sense" and "spongers" while simultaneously ignoring the facts in front of you. That's not skepticism, that's cynicism.

There's a judgement right there which you can read.

You can't make claims about "common sense" and "spongers" while simultaneously ignoring the facts in front of you. That's not skepticism, that's cynicism.

Ignoring the facts - like the myriad of mentions of "following
    tests, nothing was found" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

Unless you are a professional who has reviewed the notes in full and sat in on the arguments, then you have no basis on which to disagree with the award.

The professional opinions have no basis other than the patient's own reporting of her symptoms. They should be given no value as evidence.

She may be 'faking it', she may not, the point is there is no way to tell.

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    The professional opinions have no basis other than the patient's own reporting of her symptoms. They should be given no value as evidence.

Exactly. I think a good point was made earlier - how was the 45% fault determined ? She walked out in front of a car - end of story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Expert/professional opinions from doctors and Consultants should be given no value as evidence????

What an incredibly dumb thing to say

McCrack wrote: »
    Expert/professional opinions from doctors and Consultants should be given no value as evidence????

Sigh.

When they're based on nothing more than self-reported symptoms, yes.

Obviously, an expert opinion on interpreting actual evidence - say, a scan that shows a torn ligament - is valuable.

It's really not though.

There are many conditions that rely solely on the word and affect of the patient - whiplash for example being just one.

You read up enough on the subject and can certainly get the diagnosis you want.

And that has come from a doctor who now refuses to get involved with any kind of legal cases, too easy even for a great doctor to be fooled.

I myself had a bad fall on holiday, the fault of the hotel. I sued and got back the value of the holiday as the injury ruined all bar one day of the trip.

The number of people giving advice on what else to claim for - and how to achieve it/what to say etc was sickening. People I thought were decent, no better than common thieves.

Sigh.

Obviously, an expert opinion on interpreting actual evidence - say, a scan that shows a torn ligament - is valuable.

Reading that court doc - apart from the tear in the ACL - every "symptom" was checked and nothing concrete found.

• Advertisement

Sigh.

So because PTSD is not tangible as in you cannot undergo diagnostic examination (eg MRI) you're suggesting a Consultant Psychiatrist should not be allowed assist the Court with expert evidence?

If that is so how do you propose the evidence be given and cross-examined upon?

So because PTSD is not tangible as in you cannot undergo diagnostic examination (eg MRI) you're suggesting a Consultant Psychiatrist should not be allowed assist the Court with expert evidence?

If that is so how do you propose the evidence be given and cross-examined upon?

Who am I to place restrictions on courtroom blather? Testify and cross-examine to your heart's content. But when the quantum is being decided, only real injuries should count.

Who am I to place restrictions on courtroom blather? Testify and cross-examine to your heart's content. But when the quantum is being decided, only real injuries should count.

Well yes "only real injuries should count" - I dont think anyone is disagreeing there

However you appear to be contradicting yourself

Earlier you said "professional opinions have no basis other than the patient's own reporting of her symptoms. They should be given no value as evidence"

How then can a Court come to a proper decision on quantum (value the injury) in the absence of any professional opinion from doctors/Consultants?

Well yes "only real injuries should count" - I dont think anyone is disagreeing there

However your appear to be contradicting yourself

Earlier you said "professional opinions have no basis other than the patient's own reporting of her symptoms. They should be given no value as evidence"

How then can a Court come to a proper decision on quantum (value the injury) in the absence of any professional opinion from doctors/Consultants?

If the ONLY note is an opinion of the doctor then yes, definitely take it with a handful of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

What people fail to see in this case is that the Asian lady sued for a whole host of ailments besides PTSD, it seems that the media just latched onto the PTSD element. She had fibromyalgia and other physical damage also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Traffic lights mean "proceed if it is safe to do so", not "you can go no matter what". A pedestrian actively crossing the road still has right of way over a turning vehicle regardless of the light sequence.

Her awarded was reduced by 45% because she crossed at the red light.

You can thank the stupid inattentive driver who crashed into a slow-moving visible hazard on a city centre street for any rise in insurance premiums.

If you are driving along at 20-30kmph and less than 1m from the kerb/footpath (as would be normal on most streets) and someone on the footpath decides to step into your path as you approach then you are not going to be able to get stopped in adequate time. If everyone were to drive about anticipating idiots stepping out in front of them then traffic would grind to a halt and no one would ever get anywhere.

If the light was green, then she was fully in the wrong and deserved nothing!

I hope the insurance company appeal the ruling and win, costs should be awarded against her. She has some neck on her taking a claim for something that was 100% her fault.

I see. There you have it. Mental health issues should be disregarded because there's just no way to tell. We should probably start shutting down psychology departments and the rest, sure isn't all just a load of blather and opinion talking about people's self-reported symptoms. It has no value.

:rolleyes:

FWIW, your commentary is defamatory, I'd be careful about how enthusiastic you get in online discussions. You never know who's watching.

If everyone were to drive about anticipating idiots stepping out in front of them then traffic would grind to a halt and no one would ever get anywhere.
    https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/604296838762614784
    I hope the insurance company appeal the ruling and win, costs should be awarded against her.
    They won't. The insurance company voluntarily agreed that the blame was to be split 45:55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

PTSD is even more difficult to prove than whiplash.

It is also a common enough symptom tacked onto whiplash claims.

I'm a nervous passenger now your honour.

I wake up with night terrors now your honour.

As its virtually impossible to disprove the law will invariably side with the injured party and payment will be made.

Based on the limited details available here it does seem like the claimant suffered psychological damage following the accident but rather than paying her a big fat cheque, I'd be much more in favour of having insurers fully covering the cost of all medical needs, getting the best psychologists money can buy and getting her intensive therapy.

Instead, due to her own recklessness she walks away with a quarter of a million and a precedent has now been set.

Joke shop judiciary strikes again.

That is fine, assuming all that is expected in law is that she is righted in terms of restoring her to normal condition.
    What is the inconvenience and emotional stress of it, is the claimant entitled to financial compensation in lieu of said inconvenience and stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

KevinCavan wrote: »
    What people fail to see in this case is that the Asian lady sued for a whole host of ailments besides PTSD, it seems that the media just latched onto the PTSD element. She had fibromyalgia and other physical damage also.

Yeah, cause she ignored a red light and walked out in front of a car. What exactly did she think was going to happen ?

It’s a quite remarkable that a lady with so many pschycological injuries up to and including PTSD was able to defend herself in a case of this nature.

Had she previous training or is it the case that any gob****e can do it ?

Seems like walking out in front of a moving car and subsequently dispensing with any legal professionals to help you is an extremely profitable business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I see. There you have it. Mental health issues should be disregarded because there's just no way to tell. We should probably start shutting down psychology departments and the rest, sure isn't all just a load of blather and opinion talking about people's self-reported symptoms. It has no value.

:rolleyes:

FWIW, your commentary is defamatory, I'd be careful about how enthusiastic you get in online discussions. You never know who's watching.

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/604296838762614784
    They won't. The insurance company voluntarily agreed that the blame was to be split 45:55.

Nerds is who is watching, they are the only ones with the time and inclination to be arguing the toss online during the working day

• Advertisement

It seems that apportionment of liability was agreed between the sides without the necessity for a Judge to decide

No judge required. No lawyer required.

Doesn’t say much for the legal profession does it ?

I always get a laugh at these threads because I know for certain every bitter cnut on them would be straight down to a solicitor if they were injured and it was someone elses fault

I turned down a decent pay day once with a medical professional.

The damage was done and money wasn’t going to fix it.

It’s also how I was raised..

Don’t judge everyone else by your own standards..

Rennaws wrote: »
    No judge required. No lawyer required.

Doesn’t say much for the legal profession does it ?

No you don't understand-

The sides are represented - solicitor, Junior and Senior Counsel - her side and the insurance company's side.

Liability apportionment was agreed between the sides themselves- the matter went to hearing to assess the amount of damages only.

I turned down a decent pay day once with a medical professional.

The damage was done and money wasn’t going to fix it.

It’s also how I was raised..

Don’t judge everyone else by your own standards..

Well your high standards wont compensate you for your pain, medical expenses, loss of earnings etc

I see. There you have it. Mental health issues should be disregarded because there's just no way to tell. We should probably start shutting down psychology departments and the rest, sure isn't all just a load of blather and opinion talking about people's self-reported symptoms.

None of which I said...
    It has no value.

It's not evidence of sufficient quality that it should entitle one to compensation.
    FWIW, your commentary is defamatory.

How, exactly?

Well your high standards wont compensate you for your pain, medical expenses, loss of earnings etc

Irish people need uniquely high levels of compensation, do they?

As I said, money won’t fix it..

I’m lucky in so many ways..

You can keep your gravy train and the promise of riches.

I have all I need..

Irish people need uniquely high levels of compensation, do they?

And are paying accordingly..

As I said, money won’t fix it..

I’m lucky in so many ways..

You can keep your gravy train and the promise of riches.

I have all I need..

Good on you

Most people however aren't in your lucky position and have to seek compensation for their pain and medical expenses and loss of earnings when they are injured arising from anothers negligence.

• Advertisement

Good on you

Most people however aren't in your lucky position and have to seek compensation for their pain and medical expenses and loss of earnings when they are injured arising from anothers negligence.

Well I also play my part and do my best not to walk past red pedestrian lights and out in front of moving cars. Even if I did I still wouldn’t claim because tt would be my own fault but different strokes and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Out of interest, does anyone know how these payouts are calculated? Is there some mathematical formula to figure out how much I would get paid if I crossed the m50 at 8am on Monday morning and unfortunately got hit by oncoming traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

No prizes for guessing who on this thread is possibly involved in the lucrative compo industry.

Regarding a magical mathematical formula to determine the unreasonable awards in Irish courts; apparently our God-like judges have inane abilities to judge the validity of a claim based on "observation" i.e. observing the claimant. I'm not saying that a claimant would put on an act in front of a judge ............. well yes, I am.

And who is a major beneficiary in these ludicrous claims?
    Solicitors, of course.
    One could imagine a frenzy of cozy back-scratching between all those involved in the process.

An independent review of international experts need to take a look at our legal and judicial system.

Good on you

Most people however aren't in your lucky position and have to seek compensation for their pain and medical expenses and loss of earnings when they are injured arising from anothers her own negligence.

Fixed that there.

thunderdog wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anyone know how these payouts are calculated? Is there some mathematical formula to figure out how much I would get paid if I crossed the m50 at 8am on Monday morning and unfortunately got hit by oncoming traffic?

Yeah, normal people would think you an eejit for doing that (which you never would I must add, you seem grand!!!) - and some posters who clearly work for a no win-no fee "lawyer" would offer to get you 50 grand and berate everyone else for calling you said eejit.

We'd wish you a speedy recovery obviously but - yeah, eejit would be front and centre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Aaaaaand the red light girl appealed
    And won
    Awarded 372k now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement