Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding burglary: Where to leave your car when traveling?

Options
  • 18-07-2018 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Say you'll be abroad for a few weeks.. What's safer for your house:

- Leaving your car on your driveway
    - Leaving your car at the airport

I have a hard time deciding this.

The car would be more secure at the airport, but isn't it very easy for thieves to see no one is home if there is no car in the driveway.. ever?

Also, if I leave the car at home - so that it appears I'm there - ..and someone breaks into the car... Then it suddenly becomes more dangerous for the house itself as it'll be obvious to anyone passing by that the car (and the house) is unattended as it'd park there with broken glass / open door for weeks potentially.

What do you guys do when you travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If there's no one there checking for post etc won't it be obvious the place is unattended even if car is there?
    And then both house could be broken into and then car taken with keys stolen from house...

If you have no relative or neighbour keeping an eye on the place then I'd bring the car to the airport. Otherwise, leave it at house.

But that's just my take on it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I live in a development with a car park but unallocated spaces. I give a neighbour a set of keys and they move it every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Caranica wrote: »
    I live in a development with a car park but unallocated spaces. I give a neighbour a set of keys and they move it every few days.

Well, we all just moved in. Nobody knows anybody yet. So it complicates the situation greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Park car elsewhere before holidays. Gives impression you got rid of it?

Borrow another car for a few days so it looks like you've two cars?

Ask a friend to move it around every few days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

xboxdad wrote: »
    Well, we all just moved in. Nobody knows anybody yet. So it complicates the situation greatly.

An opportunity to get to know the neighbours.

Is there anything particular about the car makes you think it would be broken into?

I would put the car in quickpark, buy a few timers for lights/radios and get a neighbour to drop in collect post/generally keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement