Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Fibre - F2000 replacement

• 18-07-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I need to do some port forwarding and the F2000 just isn't playing ball. Could anyone recommend a replacement router for the F2000, I have fibre so I also have the Huewei Fibre box.

Looking for something that will allow me to ditch the F2000 with good settings and strong Wifi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Nobody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭swoofer

look at asus

ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 atlyginimas

Just yesterday replaced eir F2000 modem with NETGEAR DM200 modem. Flawless. All my network (smart home and ect) in attic including modem. That’s cause poor WiFi in ground floor.
    So, WiFi access point on stairs ceiling, NETGEAR modem and switch in attic. Reason replace eir modem not coverage issues, but lack of routing and static IP LAN address (only 10) settings.
    No matter what modem in attic in kitchen poor WiFi or need high powered WiFi transmission.
    Anyway trick is that I’m copying eir modem isp settings and type in to NETGEAR and NETGEAR not working, trying 10 times various things.
    Trick is you need ( your ANY make modem with VDSL support ) change MAC address with eir modem MAC address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you confirmed vectoring is active and working?

Will check tonight, Tx speed was about 92 Mb/s.
    My provider eir with fibre up to 100 Mb that’s in contract speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I bought this and used it with Eir for 2 years, solid router packed with features and excellent range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DAZPDXK

Lack information about settings on modem menu.
    Probably NETGEAR think that customer no need know about settings. Connection establishment in automated mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I have a TP link vr900 v1. Solid modem though not flashy. Vectoring works perfectly with it.

I tried a netgear nighthawk yoke before that and while it worked the interface was shockingly bad. Needed a reboot for almost every setting change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 GeneralDisorder

Morning Guys,
    Hopefully you can help, i want to dump my F2000 modem/router and go with an all in one replacement for it - i don't have FTTH at the moment, just FTTC and standard copper to the house at 100MBps

Is there a good option to look for off amazon etc... for replace or is there specific options I need to have when looking to buy.

Should also note, i don't need VOIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Morning Guys,
    Hopefully you can help, i want to dump my F2000 modem/router and go with an all in one replacement for it - i don't have FTTH at the moment, just FTTC and standard copper to the house at 100MBps

Is there a good option to look for off amazon etc... for replace or is there specific options I need to have when looking to buy.

Should also note, i don't need VOIP.

If you are just trying to improve WiFi coverage in a large home, there is no need to replace the modem. Just turn off the WiFi in the F2000, and add a mesh WiFi system with sufficient access points to give you good coverage. If you change your modem, you need to be sure that you have sufficient technical skills to keep it maintained afterwards. Security upgrades are extremely important, given the new security threats that keep emerging. If you stick with F2000, Eir will do the security upgrades for you. Your Mesh system will be safe - it is inside the firewall. If you choose your own modem, it may also cause issues if you choose VOIP or TV in the future.

You should be aiming to provide WiFi access points as close to each client device, as possible - so they can use the 5GHz band - which is shorter range. This is particularly the case for high bandwidth devices such as TVs. Don't try to serve the whole house from one device - unless you are in a small house or apartment. Most Irish houses probably need two access points - but larger houses will need more.

If you have wiring (Cat5/Cat6) to connect the access points back to your router - that is the ideal. I can recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi system - which also has the advantage of POE(Power over Ethernet) - so you don't need to have trailing power cables at the access points. If you don't have wiring - other users have recommended TP-Link DECO mesh system - which uses wireless connectivity between the access points.

Mesh systems have a major advantage - they allow devices to roam between access points seamlessly, and they steer each client to the best access point at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 GeneralDisorder

Thanks Babelfish1990
    I'd love to go for a Mesh system, but I think my issue is first to fix the modem as the F2000 will randomly drop DSL sync every so often and then.
    I've had eir look at the line, and there's no fault and i've replaced the modem a twice but the issue keeps reappearing.

Can the TP-link function as a modem as well, or would i need another modem in bridge mode to make that work? Or is the best best to get a cheap modem and a mesh system together to fix the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Thanks Babelfish1990
    I'd love to go for a Mesh system, but I think my issue is first to fix the modem as the F2000 will randomly drop DSL sync every so often and then.
    I've had eir look at the line, and there's no fault and i've replaced the modem a twice but the issue keeps reappearing.

Can the TP-link function as a modem as well, or would i need another modem in bridge mode to make that work? Or is the best best to get a cheap modem and a mesh system together to fix the problem?

ok - Mesh system won't fix your sync issues. However, changing modem is unlikely fix your problem either. The TP Link Deco access points do not replace the modem or the router functionality - they just replace the WiFi part of the router. It is best to avoid adding additional routers or placing devices in Bridge mode.

If you are having problems with Sync - these are generally caused by wiring issues in the home. Check if you have any cables connected on the unfiltered side of your main phone socket? Particularly in old houses, burglar alarm or extension cables are often connected to the main socket without a filter. These will cause loss of sync. Sources of electrical noise can also be a problem - faulty flourescent lights, electric fences used on farms, etc.

Advertisement