Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to negotiate mortgage interest rate?

• 18-07-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I have a mortgage with AIB and they are competitive for variable rates but way more expensive than Ulster Bank for fixed rates.

I’d be inclined to go for a fixed rate but because of that difference it wouldn’t make fianancial sense to do so with AIB.

My question is: is it a thing to go to a bank and tell them their rate is not competitive - and ask if they are willing to match another bank’s rate or at least move closer to it? And should I expect a positive answer from them? (I think my mortgage is a good deal for them as it is probably an average sized loan but with a pretty low LTV and 2 people on it with secure jobs, so very low risk).

I know at least of one other European country where it is common to do that and in this situation banks will basically offer a rate 0.1% higher than their competitor as they want to keep the business and know that for 0.1% difference 99% of people won’t bother with the hassle and possible cost of changing mortgage provider. But haven’t heard of this being done here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I did it back in 2014, got the variable rate reduced by 0.2%

Don't think it will happen now, but worth asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

colm_c wrote: »
    I did it back in 2014, got the variable rate reduced by 0.2%

Don't think it will happen now, but worth asking.

Cheers. They are 0.45% higher and if they could reduce it by 0.3% that would work for me as I wouldn’t bother changing provider for 0.15%. I might give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Bob24 wrote: »
    Cheers. They are 0.45% and if they could reduce it by 0.3% that would work with me as I wouldn’t bother changing provider for 0.15%. I might give it a try.

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Let us know how you get on

Tried it last year, happier to see me go to the other bank than to move me onto a better rate.

The lad in the branch was sound but said it was up the way that they wouldn't entertain it.

If I had been switching to the rate I wanted there would have given me 3 or 4k. But if we learned anything over the past few years it is that the banks know exactly what they are doing 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Bob24 wrote: »
    Cheers. They are 0.45% higher and if they could reduce it by 0.3% that would work for me as I wouldn’t bother changing provider for 0.15%. I might give it a try.

Hi did you try this approach to see if AIB would reduce their fixed rate for you ?
    I’m in a very similar position to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hi did you try this approach to see if AIB would reduce their fixed rate for you ?
    I’m in a very similar position to you

Haven't tried yet as I've been busy recently and not in a rush.

But what I was thinking was calling the mortgage customer service number, explain the rate difference to them, and tell them that given the large difference in monthly repayments I can't stay with AIB with the rate listed on the website. And ask if they would match that rate to make me stay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I doubt they'll discount, but the only way to know for sure is to ask them.

Advertisement