Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres advice

• 18-07-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

I need to replace 4 tyres on a 2004 nissan almeara.... 
    Anyone recommend any places online i might get better value than in my local garage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What size tyres?
    Any preferred brand?
    Did you get a local quote already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Savings online won’t be as big as they should be cheap size.
    Oponeo, eiretyres would be worth checking.

Don’t buy ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

Tyreleader.ie is also great value. Be sure to factor in the cost of fitting,balancing and disposal of old tyres when comparing online to buying from a garage.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have to do some shopping around locally to see what to compare against.

Using an example of 4 Continental ContiPremiumContact 5 205/55/16, on camskills the price including delivery was about €389.

Once the tyres arrived, your local tyre crowd will have their own charges. My one, if I remember right, was a fiver to take them off (per wheel), same to put on new ones, and 3 euro disposal. So 52.

Have an idea what you want, ring around. I always like to look at autoexpress' reviews for tyres when I'm shopping around. Gives me an idea what to ask about.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

biko wrote: »
    What size tyres?
    Any preferred brand?
    Did you get a local quote already?
    size is [font=Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]185/65 R15
    I've only started looking so no qoutes yet.... to be honest i know nothing about tyres.... was looking to spend 300-350 max on 4 ... any recommendations?[/font]

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Have to do some shopping around locally to see what to compare against.

Using an example of 4 Continental ContiPremiumContact 5 205/55/16, on camskills the price including delivery was about €389.

Once the tyres arrived, your local tyre crowd will have their own charges. My one, if I remember right, was a fiver to take them off (per wheel), same to put on new ones, and 3 euro disposal. So 52.

Have an idea what you want, ring around.  I always like to look at autoexpress' reviews for tyres when I'm shopping around. Gives me an idea what to ask about.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres
    thanks i'll have a read of that!

so my nct said three of the tyres were over 6 years old and be replaced....  does age of the tyres matter that much if they are still in good nick?
    I reckon my car is only on the road max 4k miles a year the last three years... maybe 8k a year the previous 3 years before...

The tyres may perish over time or become cracked. They would have pointed out any obvious defects. On a car without ABS I’d want good tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

jobless wrote: »
    so my nct said three of the tyres were over 6 years old and be replaced....  does age of the tyres matter that much if they are still in good nick?
    I reckon my car is only on the road max 4k miles a year the last three years... maybe 8k a year the previous 3 years before...

Unlikely. Usually they tell you the tyres are over 6 years but pass them.
    Did the nct actually fail the tyres or are you being over cautious? Read the Nct fail sheet again or post it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought the age of the tyres were a NCT advisory rather than a failure unless the condition of the tyres were deemed dangerous?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A quick search of ebay shows you can have 205/55 R16s starting at €22

Unlikely. Usually they tell you the tyres are over 6 years but pass them.
    Did the nct actually fail the tyres or are you being over cautious? Read the Nct fail sheet again or post it up here.
    yeah he said one was near the legal limit and three were over 6 years old..... i passed the nct....  so im thinking to be sure, replace them all

Yeah but he doesn't want plastic tyres.

if you're only doing 4k miles per year then don't change.
    Wear them down to the limit over the next year.
    NCT can't fail you for old tyres. No issue with an old tyre as long as it's in good nick.

if you're only doing 4k miles per year then don't change.
    Wear them down to the limit over the next year.
    NCT can't fail you for old tyres. No issue with an old tyre as long as it's in good nick.
    why do they warn you about them then?...

Because they are a convenient money spinner for the motor industry. And most of these guys are doing repair work as foxers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Because they are a convenient money spinner for the motor industry. And most of these guys are doing repair work as foxers anyway.

Where is facekicker when you need him

When will the stupidity end?

Also, it’s a nixer. Foxer... FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Just an FYI the older compound does not have the same stopping distance or durability.
    They could also be slightly perished which could cause a blow out.

While this is all hearsay this is why the NCT advises that they be replaced and personally I would (and have) replaced the tyres when the NCT pointed this out to be before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I recently bought four tires. I found that you don't really save that much buying online when you add in the cost of getting them fitted. What you do get though is more choice. When I called around a lot of places didn't stock the brand I was looking for.

• Advertisement

These would be worth a look

https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/uniroyal-rainexpert-3-185-65-r15-88-t#210802734
    €204 for 4. Add approx €60 for fitting, so €66 each all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

On a 14 year old Almera I don't think I'd splash out e400 on 4 tyres. Hang on a few months til winter n stick a couple of decent part worns. That if the gearbox hasn't gone in the meantime!

Edit: that's good value for the Uniroyals above, thought they'd cost more

I'd apply the opposite logic. A 14 year old Almera has no ABS, has fairly thin metal and a poor crash test rating so I wouldn't be skimping on tyres which along with brakes are the only thing that keep you on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

MarkR wrote:

You're saving nothing buying online in respect to this particular size and make. Any tyre place will be around 90-100e per tyre fitted for this exact tyre!!!!! When you factor in the fitting cost you are losing money

jobless wrote:
    size is 185/65 R15 I've only started looking so no qoutes yet.... to be honest i know nothing about tyres.... was looking to spend 300-350 max on 4 ... any recommendations?

You will easily get a decent tyre in a tyre shop for this price without all the messing around.

if you're only doing 4k miles per year then don't change. Wear them down to the limit over the next year. NCT can't fail you for old tyres. No issue with an old tyre as long as it's in good nick.

This makes no sense.......wear them to the limit.......no issue, once its in good nick. A tyre below 3 mm is not ideal. A tyre below 2 mm is really not in good nick.

colm_mcm wrote:

They are not a good tyre in my experience, unless its raining, heavy, all the time.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    They are not a good tyre in my experience, unless its raining, heavy, all the time.

Welcome to Ireland. The last few weeks are a fluke.

Brand new Sailun or Linglongs available for €37 on Amazon.
    I know they can be had even cheaper on another website that often has minimum order quantities and may have a long enough delivery time.

Koowai brand €10 and Superior brand from €16 each.

• Advertisement

Power Pants is that you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Ease off the lidl wine Bazz

Oh I see he brought his girlfriends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Mod edit

Sure hun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I know they can be had even cheaper on another website that often has minimum order quantities and may have a long enough delivery time.

If you want to be cheap on your vehicles thats (somewhat) okay (as long as I don't meet you on the roads) but please keep yours foolish and dangerous advice to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jennehy banned
    Back to business

I recently bought four tires. I found that you don't really save that much buying online when you add in the cost of getting them fitted. What you do get though is more choice. When I called around a lot of places didn't stock the brand I was looking for.

what you buy out of interest?

enricoh wrote: »
    On a 14 year old Almera I don't think I'd splash out e400 on 4 tyres. Hang on a few months til winter n stick a couple of decent part worns. That if the gearbox hasn't gone in the meantime!

Edit: that's good value for the Uniroyals above, thought they'd cost more

haha gear box went many moons ago!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    These would be worth a look

https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/uniroyal-rainexpert-3-185-65-r15-88-t#210802734

thanks.... im probably going to go for something thats suitable all year round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭tphase

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I have to disagree. I find they have excellent dry grip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

what you buy out of interest?

Uniroyal RainExpert 3 XL, 4 tyres fitted, including disposal fee, plus free wheel alignment for 300 euro's

online price( https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/uniroyal-rainexpert-3-175-70-r14-88-t-xl#207863215 ) would of been 232 + 40(getting them fitted) +12( disposal fee) =284. Plus 25 for wheel alignment would take it to 309 euro's.

When I first called the place, where I bought the tyres, they said they only had Firestone Multihawk 2 or cheap Chinese ****e. The day I went down he didn't have the Firestone's but had the Uniroyal's. I was happy with that, as they were what I wanted all along.
    The Uniroyals are made in Europe by Continental. Excellent tyre for Irish roads.

I think Online works out cheaper when you buy tyres that are over a 100 euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Wow!! Sounds like an amazing deal. Might buy these 10e a tyre

Too good a deal to pass up imo

2945_E815-_EFA6-4_ABF-948_D-874_FF668_B636.jpg

Uniroyal RainExpert 3 XL, 4 tyres fitted, including disposal fee, plus free wheel alignment for 300 euro's

online price( https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/uniroyal-rainexpert-3-175-70-r14-88-t-xl#207863215 ) would of been 232 + 40(getting them fitted) +12( disposal fee) =284. Plus 25 for wheel alignment would take it to 309 euro's.

When I first called the place, where I bought the tyres, they said they only had Firestone Multihawk 2 or cheap Chinese ****e. The day I went down he didn't have the Firestone's but had the Uniroyal's. I was happy with that, as they were what I wanted all along.
    The Uniroyals are made in Europe by Continental. Excellent tyre for Irish roads.

I think Online works out cheaper when you buy tyres that are over a 100 euro's.
    Got the same tyres recently, different size (225/50 17), fitted, balanced and tracked €500. Doubt I'd have saved much online but I think there are savings to be made for the more common sizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My Mazda 6 has an oddball size, 225 45 r19. I usually buy online as nowhere stocks decent branded tyres in this size

tphase wrote: »
    Got the same tyres recently, different size (225/50 17), fitted, balanced and tracked €500. Doubt I'd have saved much online but I think there are savings to be made for the more common sizes

Sounds like insane money. Not a hope would I shell out €500 for a set of tyres.

Most i've ever spent on tyres was € 220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Please forward your address...

1908363_774163445961226_6235984476581372471_n-2.jpg

what's insane is people shelling out a large amount of money for a big, powerful car and being skinflints when it comes to putting rubber on the wheels

yes, €500 is a lot but even online (assuming I could find the type I want and size I need) they would still be over €100 each. Add in fitting and balancing, disposal charge and tracking and you're easily over €500 for a full set.
    The confidence of knowing my car will stick to a bendy road and stop when I need it to is worth a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

tphase wrote: »

How do you find them, need to get a set that size for my smax, and they are the cheaspest non chinse I've seen so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

What’s this classic argument
    “ I hope I never meet you on the road “

Utter utter poppycock! The chances are that you do meet people all the time driving cheap but excellent tyres

Just because people deem spending a lot on tyres correlates directly to the quality over cheaper tyres , does not mean it’s true

• Advertisement
Advertisement