Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't afford to rent!!!

Options
  • 18-07-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Can someone please give me some advise about putting a mobile on private land. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm looking at every house for rent in the area and they are practically all above €1000 or too small for my family of 4.

Theres your problem - if you cannot afford to live in an area, move somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

retalivity wrote: »
    Theres your problem - if you cannot afford to live in an area, move somewhere else

I've looked into moving to neighbouring county's but as I said myeldest has Autism and is in a special school
    He has therapies and supports put into place here that would takes ages to set up elsewhere. Trying to get places im other schools is hard enough without having to jump into other people therapy waiting lists! I'm not sure I could do that. He would be left needing stuff for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

retalivity wrote: »

Wholeheartedly disagree with this. Its not just a Dublin issue, rent across the country is skyrocketing up.

Im paying 1/2 my salary on rent at the moment 3 years ago I was paying 1/4. Rent in my complex has gone up 40% in the last 12 months(From other properties listed on daft that are the same spec as mine)

Anywhere where there is any demand rent is extortionate. Anywhere where rent is lower there is no demand ie. no jobs etc.

trixychic wrote: »
    I've looked into moving to neighbouring county's but as I said myeldest has Autism and is in a special school
    He has therapies and supports put into place here that would takes ages to set up elsewhere. Trying to get places im other schools is hard enough without having to jump into other people therapy waiting lists! I'm not sure I could do that. He would be left needing stuff for too long.

Would you be entitled to any housing assistance?

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Would you be entitled to any housing assistance?

The state doesn't believe we at entitled to anything!!! To quote the letters I have received
    "We acknowledge your son has a disability however it does not require in excess care requirements to that of other children of his age..." which is total and utter bulls#it. We are in the process of ralking to a legal team by this again takes money and time.
    The state won't help us with our son or with our housing!!!

Basically without severe physical deformities which require 24-hr care you won't get housing help.

• Advertisement

Wholeheartedly disagree with this. Its not just a Dublin issue, rent across the country is skyrocketing up.

Im paying 1/2 my salary on rent at the moment 3 years ago I was paying 1/4. Rent in my complex has gone up 40% in the last 12 months(From other properties listed on daft that are the same spec as mine)

Anywhere where there is any demand rent is extortionate. Anywhere where rent is lower there is no demand ie. no jobs etc.

Yes I'm not in dublin. I'm in Carlow. And even the wexford prices are insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Have you talked to the local authority about your housing needs, not in terms of your son's medical needs, but in terms of your problems in affording rent. Housing Assistance Payment perhaps? Are you on the local authority list?

The state doesn't believe we at entitled to anything!!! To quote the letters I have received
    "We acknowledge your son has a disability however it does not require in excess care requirements to that of other children of his age..." which is total and utter bulls#it. We are in the process of ralking to a legal team by this again takes money and time.

Basically without severe physical deformities which require 24-hr care you won't get housing help.

Consider speaking to your local councilor on that - might save you some money.

Also with securing some new accommodation try offer less on then asking on the first few properties and see what happens. Also start looking and enquiring ASAP. Post your situation on local housing facebook groups, contrary to popular belief some landlords are actually understanding.

How long do you have before you have to move out? Will the landlord return your deposit before hand to help you with the deposit on a new place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Contact your local authority and ask about the income limits for the family of your size.

If you qualify for social housing then you would be eligible to apply for HAP, which would be a significant amount towards the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Don't take this the wrong way but simply the role of government in today's society is not to house its citizens and only doing so in limited circumstances. That role falls upon you which you have been doing for the last 7 years.

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but simply the role of government in today's society is not to house its citizens and only doing so in limited circumstances. That role falls upon you which you have been doing for the last 7 years.

Oh I know its not the government's fault for the housing however the lack of help I receive for my son and their neglect of him IS supposed to be part of they're role. They give no help out to families of children with disabilities without us first going through seriously long and stressful fights. Id be alot more willing to move if I knew my son could be set up proper elsewhere with correct supports in place and correct school places. This however is not the case. That is what I'm angry at them for!!!

How long do you have before you have to move out? Will the landlord return your deposit before hand to help you with the deposit on a new place?

They need the place back by September. I don't see why we won't get the deposit back. The place is the same bare the expected wear and tear of 7yrs.

I haven't phyisically went to local housing authority yet but i was checking citizens info and it stated that because OH is working full-time we do not qualify for HAP. We are not on the housing list either. How long is that waiting list?? Should I try get on it now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I haven't phyisically went to local housing authority yet but i was checking citizens info and it stated that because OH is working full-time we do not qualify for HAP. We are not on the housing list either. How long is that waiting list?? Should I try get on it now??

One or both people can work on Hap, your eligibility is based off of take home wage. I'll see if I can find the link to the limits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Its the role of the government to ensure that there is a functioning property market..... something they have failed miserably to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Sorry but I am with the poster above - you can't afford where you are, moving and commuting is the only solution.

I'm 80km from my work, have done the commute for 11 years. Is it fun ? Hells to the no.

But I pay 750 a month for a 3 bed bungalow in a lovely quiet area whereas colleagues who can leave home at 8am (as opposed to my 6am) are paying twice that for a rabbit hutch.

I'm afraid the poet Jagged was spot on in his seminal work "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

p.s. I agree with you on the care for children with autism and other special needs - woefully inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I think this is the link. You guys will qualify for hap if the take home pay of the house is under 27500

Sorry but I am with the poster above - you can't afford where you are, moving and commuting is the only solution.

I'm 80km from my work, have done the commute for 11 years. Is it fun ? Hells to the no.

But I pay 750 a month for a 3 bed bungalow in a lovely quiet area whereas colleagues who can leave home at 8am (as opposed to my 6am) are paying twice that for a rabbit hutch.

I'm afraid the poet Jagged was spot on in his seminal work "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

p.s. I agree with you on the care for children with autism and other special needs - woefully inadequate.

This is why I asked for advice on Putting a mobile onto father in laws garden. At this stage I would be quite happy to drive that time to get them to where they need to be.

Still very open to this idea and still would love advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

jobless wrote: »
    Its the role of the government to ensure that there is a functioning property market..... something they have failed miserably to do

Role of government is to facilitate the free market..the end.

It is the participants in said market that drives the behavior of that market, feck all to do with the government really and more to do with the participants in the market.

They need the place back by September. I don't see why we won't get the deposit back. The place is the same bare the expected wear and tear of 7yrs.

Well you have a tonne of time now to put things in place.

What I mean to say re the deposit: will the landlord give it to you before you move out to help you put down a deposit on the new place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Or it is functioning just as intended. But people think the government has some sort of public service mandate, while the evidence suggests that they have consistently worked for sectional interests and the status quo.

Noonan stated that he needed to see high house prices, given the mess inherited from the previous decade.
    Best of luck OP. not pleasant but it will work out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yes I'm not in dublin. I'm in Carlow. And even the wexford prices are insane!

Assuming you maybe Carlow town, have you looked at more rural villages and areas in Carlow?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Assuming you maybe Carlow town, have you looked at more rural villages and areas in Carlow?

No I'm not in the town either. I have looked all over Carlow and north wexford and south Wicklow and even Kilkenny. I am not trying to stick with where I am. I just want somewhere that is within reach I my sons school. I have a car and i am not than willing to commute up to 1 hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

There are 3bed - 2bath apartments for rent in Co. Carlow for around 800pcm which would suit perfectly a family of four (I have a family of four and live in such apartment since in big cities and central locations there are no houses available in continental Europe!). I believe the OP problem is more a requirements issue rather than an affordability issue (wants a big house, with big garden and crisis level rents: 7 years ago rents were really low). There are also houses in Tullow at less than 1k (which is definitely not 50minutes drive, but more like 20-25 minutes). If the OP is expecting to rent a 3bed house with garden at 600 eur per month (anywhere in Ireland), those times are long gone and caused a massive reduction of properties available for rent, such rent does not even cover the landlord maintenance costs of a 3 bed house with the sh..ty Irish tax rules on wear&tear and USC. Only fully repainting the inside house would cost almost 5-6 months of rent at 600 eur!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

It is the participants in said market that drives the behavior of that market, feck all to do with the government really and more to do with the participants in the market.
    yes they are really facilitating a free market.... 

yeah they are doing a great job of facilitating a free market alright.... for the elite vulture funds driving up rental prices.. plus forcing landlords exit en mass due to rising taxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Keep an eye on Athy. Athy is cheaper than surrounding areas and it's not a bad town. I would call into the estate agents as well and ask. I wouldn't only rely on listings on the internet. They might have properties that arn't online.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Have you checked that you have been given enough notice for the 7 years there and that the request to vacate was provided correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you are pushing past 40% of your monthly family income, you have an issue. Other than that, try soak it up. These things will peak and troff. 1,000e per month to house a family of 4 was a bargain, and good while it lasted.

Consider going to MABs to help with budget and money management, and cut your cloth according to your measure. You have a person working, this is positive, you'll get there. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone for your input.

In no way am I looking for "a big house". I am looking for something suitable. (An apartment would be better than a mobile home). I have applied to every ad on Daft, myhome, and property websites and most have replied that the house is gone or else they set up a viewing and when we get there, there are 15 other families also looking. People are turning up to properties with envelopes of cash in hand and it has even started a bidding war in one place. I am just trying to sort things out for my family.

Can anyone advise please on Putting a mobile onto the land? Does anyone have any experience?

Advertisement