Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone any experience of Weibang mowers?

Options
  • 18-07-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭

They seem to have become very common in local lawnmower dealers.

They speak highly of them, saying they are great value for money compared to the big known brands like Honda etc

But would like opinion or thoughts of someone who isn't trying to sell one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bought one last year wasnt cheap could have got a plastic decked honda for same money but relatively simple and shaft drive so pulls like a train. had no problems with it so far and cuts well.
    i bought this (didnt pay that for it think it was €899)
    http://weibang.ie/professional-range/wb537scalv-bbc.html#description-tab

apparently our local council use them.

only issue i ve got is the paint has come on the inside of the deck must ask the dealer about that

Edit : replaced an old alloy decked mountfield that was 22 years old and i gave away - so thats what im comparing it with !
    my lawn well most of it
    456129.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bought one last year wasnt cheap could have got a plastic decked honda for same money but relatively simple and shaft drive so pulls like a train. had no problems with it so far and cuts well.
    i bought this (didnt pay that for it think it was €899)
    http://weibang.ie/professional-range/wb537scalv-bbc.html#description-tab

apparently our local council use them.

only issue i ve got is the paint has come on the inside of the deck must ask the dealer about that

Edit : replaced an old alloy decked mountfield that was 22 years old and i gave away - so thats what im comparing it with !
    my lawn well most of it
    456129.png

Thanks for that, I was starting to think I'd never get a reply.

You sound like another satisfied customer. There appears to be many of them on the net. My local dealer says they are now into their 6th summer selling them and they have had no issues so far.

At present the Honda I'm considering is the guts of €1250, whereas an equivalent Weibang might be €900. Can't decide if the extra is worth it to have a Honda?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I was starting to think I'd never get a reply.

You sound like another satisfied customer. There appears to be many of them on the net. My local dealer says they are now into their 6th summer selling them and they have had no issues so far.

At present the Honda I'm considering is the guts of €1250, whereas an equivalent Weibang might be €900. Can't decide if the extra is worth it to have a Honda?

The only thing the honda would have is a clutch to disengage the Blade whilst the engine is running. but if your in sw donegal you can see mine (oo err)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

I just bought a weibang WB537SCV 3 in 1. the one without the BBC feature, which i do not need, but i hear that once you have one, they are hard to do without. The first thing i noticed about this mower is the premium build quality, their is hardly any plastic parts to this machine, and as it is a shaft drive rather than belt driven, i suppose it is mainly for professional users, it weighs nearly 50 kg but you would not think so, as it is so well balanced and easy to turn around the garden.

As my old mower finally bit the dust this year, i visited a good few hardware stores to see what the latest mowers had to offer, first thing i noticed was how more expensive mowers seemed to be, i was looking at spending nearly 500 euro, first off i saw makes of lawnmower i had not heard of before, even trying to find reviews of them on youtube was hard to find, some of them just look like big childrens toys, so plasticy looking, and the prices for any type of honda is just too high, alot higher in ireland than elsewhere, so i realised i would have to spend more than i thought for a decent mower, woodies had a mc cullough 22 inch deck for 600 euro that i was seriously looking at, as the one i actually bought from a co op, a mc cullough again but a 53 cm deck was a bit underpowered at 150cc, when i got it home and set it up, i kind of regretted buying it, i could not see it lasting more than a few years, so i took it back.

So i started seriously looking at reviews for the size of deck i needed on youtube and elsewhere, I would really have liked to be able to afford a honda HRX but for me that is just silly money, their HRR was a bit cheaper, but i thought i will have a good look a round and see what is on offer. When i saw some professional landscapers reviewing these grey coloured weibangs, i was interested in all these extra features they seemed to offer at a fairly decent price, so i decided this one needed a look at, as a lawnmower dealer was located not too far from me near ballyhooly in north cork, and he actually had some in stock, i went to have a look, and it exceeded my expectations, i got a good deal from him, so went ahead a bought it, more than i thought i would be spending on a mower, but from the sheer quality of it, it should last for at least 10-15 years, well here is hoping, i have used it only once for cutting, well mulching, and a job that use to take me two and a half hours is now down to an hour and a half, given mulching would be a it faster, the three speed gearbox comes in handy as well, the large 196 cc engine, which is classed as a commercial engine, makes it a doddle to fly through the lawn.

All in all and excepting that nothing is perfect in this world, and maybe it will not last as long as i am hoping it will, pound for pound, this mower can compete with a top of the range honda. Their is so many different models from the weibang range i was spoiled for choice, but i had made my mind up on this particular make and model, although i was nearly swayed by a toro personal pace model the dealer had as well, in fact for a small dealer, he had a good few different makes up their from Hayter, toros, oleo mac, weibang, i do not know weather i can mention this dealer, but i will anyway, Noel twomey sales and repairs near ballyhooly in north cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Our local chainsaw dealer is a died-in-the-wool Stihl man. As a result he was selling the Viking brand mowers that are an offshoot of Stihl.
    I bought one 10 years ago, and its been very good.

While he is still a Stihl dealer, he only stocks Weibang mowers now. Says the Viking are too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Our local chainsaw dealer is a died-in-the-wool Stihl man. As a result he was selling the Viking brand mowers that are an offshoot of Stihl.
    I bought one 10 years ago, and its been very good.

While he is still a Stihl dealer, he only stocks Weibang mowers now. Says the Viking are too expensive.

Apparently the Viking branded ones, are going to be rebadged soon as Stihl, complete with the colour change.

Very few people knew that Viking were made by Stihl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

NIMAN wrote: »
    Apparently the Viking branded ones, are going to be rebadged soon as Stihl, complete with the colour change.

Very few people knew that Viking were made by Stihl.

Ah, they were well advertised in-store as Stihl's garden care range, even if they came with Briggs & Stratton engines.

Having had experience of an old Mountfield push mower with a B & S in the early 80's, I was very sceptical.
    But it is easy started and very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DRUMMER56

hi i purchased lawmower 2 years ago very happy with it let it run dry at the end of year makes it very easy to start for the following year very happy with it good make

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

Bought WB455SC-3IN1

Must say its a fantastic machine - for the money - Cant fault it one bit - Must put a striper (homemade) on it and I'm all sorted 😁

It starts on the first pull every single time.

There was an error displaying this embed.

The clutch isn't working 100% on mine possibly just the spring. I don't find my local dealer particularly good so not looking forward to taking it in.

Also there's a steel trim round the inside which jammed the blade due the deck corrosion pushing out the steel band. On mine so had to take that off, 6years later the quality isn't great. Suppose it's still going. Starts first time as well.

But the small stuff isn't great quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

So far mine has been good, I think they better than the ones you buy from screwfix or the co op.

I change the oil myself say twice per year and take the blade to the local repair shop to be sharpened.

Advertisement