Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats next...9 or 8S?

Options
  • 18-07-2018 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Any word on what Apple are releasing next, is it going to be an 8S with minor changes or will they release a new phone and call it a 9? I'm out of contract and waiting to see what happens, I have disregarded the 8 as there has been too little development or new features between it and my 6S and so hoping the newest release in September offers something a little more appealing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Current rumours suggest three iPhones

5.8” OLED, think of it as an updated to the current iPhone X.
    6.1” LCD, low cost iPhone that’s got a notch and looks similar to iPhone X but without stainless steel edges.
    6.5” OLED, think of it as an iPhone X Plus.

What they’ll actually be called won’t be known until Apple start making the boxes/leak software that has the names embedded in it.

I’d say September announcement, with release 2-3 weeks later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It looks like the 6.1-inch LCD model will probably be the iPhone 8 successor, at least in terms of price point. It's obviously a compromise for the Asian market who love their huge phones, but I can see it going down like a lead balloon in many other quarters, especially if its losing features like 3D Touch.

Mr.S wrote: »
    And iPhone X Plus would be a dream, but jesus the price on that is going to be crazy.
    current rumours are suggesting that the 5.8" gets a price cut by $100-150 and the plus takes the top tier at $999.

with all things apple though pricing and names are the last thing to leak if they do leak at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,214 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They've lost the plot pushing ahead with a brutal design if this is true. 2018iphone-glass-leak-001.jpg

I think it's the worst thing to happen to phones in a long time. Brutal doesn't even cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yeah I just don’t get the obsession with increasing screen size. I have an iPhone SE and find its almost perfect. 4.7” models are ok and anything larger than that just seems pointless.

quarryman wrote: »
    Yeah I just don’t get the obsession with increasing screen size. I have an iPhone SE and find its almost perfect. 4.7” models are ok and anything larger than that just seems pointless.

I think it's the best phone they've made in a long time and you don't need braces to keep your pants up when it's in your pocket.
    It's about to get the notch though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Disagree with this totally.

I'm now using the 8 plus and I adapted to it very quickly and could never go back to a iPhone SE size.

Bigger is better for video, photos, webpages and general day to day use.

I went with the Plus for the 7 and I’ll be going back down to the iPhone X size. The plus causes me awful RSI issues in my little finger when I naturally rest the phone on it. Have a X in work for testing and I don’t grip it the same way so there’ll be no RSI.

Not against bigger phones, more choice is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I agree, I have a 5s for work and a 8+ for personal, and using the 5s just seems TINY to me now. I mess up with typing all the time, I hate it. I don't think I could go back to the smaller size for personal use, and the camer quality on the plus models also massively sells it to me.

I'd love to upgrade to the X, when I actually saw one in person I weirdly liked the notch, dunno why!

• Advertisement

Totally disagree, if you use your phone for any kind of media consumption then the larger screens are way better.

Totally disagree with having any iPhone if you do a lot of web browsing on it, the refresh rate of the screen is out of the stone age. Tried going back to my 7+ when my razer broke and it's horrible to use, don't think anyone has any idea what browsing on a phone should be like until they get used to a 120hz screen .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can I jump into this thread and ask a quick question regarding airpods rather than start a new thread for it?

Im finally coming around to thinking I will buy a pair after being skeptical of them.

however I have waited that long that I wondering are they due an update in September as well? Would I be better off waiting?

adox wrote: »
    Can I jump into this thread and ask a quick question regarding airpods rather than start a new thread for it?

Im finally coming around to thinking I will buy a pair after being skeptical of them.

however I have waited that long that I wondering are they due an update in September as well? Would I be better off waiting?

Most definitely due a refresh. Even if it’s just a wireless charging case. It’s hard to believe the AirPods are almost two years old now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd wait, too. Though having used a pair every day now for nearly a year I'm curious to see what they can do to make them even better (not bothered about wireless charging).

Also due an upgrade in September. Thinking the "cheap" iPhone X is for me. Was just looking at a colleagues X there and not seeing any difference with the OLED screen.

Did someone mention force touch would not be on it? I find that hard to believe.

Dades wrote: »
    Did someone mention force touch would not be on it? I find that hard to believe.

I've seen that being rumoured, personally I don't think Apple would bifurcate their lineup like that, sure the SE didn't have 3D touch but that's cause it's basically a 5S body and screen with a 6S logic board. But I just can't see Apple removing 3D touch for a '2018' phone. Unless they remove it altogether as it's been a bit of a dud feature as there's no visual clue it's even there unless someone shows you (which I hope doesn't happen as I find 3d touch super useful).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the 6.1-inch model is going to be positioned as the "low cost", multi-coloured, consumer iPhone, then it makes sense for them to save money where they can.

And the idea after all is to push people toward the X. In which case, I expect the lack of 3D Touch to be one of the several things people will be unhappy about with that model.

I'd be annoyed if they left out force touch, too.

Frankly it helps overcome some of IOS's UX shortcomings and shouldn't be an optional extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What do people use force touch for usually? I know it's there, but I have no use for it and wouldn't mind if it was removed

BDJW wrote: »
    What do people use force touch for usually? I know it's there, but I have no use for it and wouldn't mind if it was removed

Personally I use it mainly for the control centre platters. Personal hotspot/vpn is hidden behind a 3D Touch, similarly 3D Touch on the settings icon to get shortcuts to WiFi/battery etc. Previewing mails in mail.app without having the unread flag trigger so I know I need to come back to that mail later. 3D Touch on the keyboard to move the insertion point is huge that would be a big loss imo.

I mainly use it as a shortcut to call, txt, or whatsapp a particular person/list.

Handy for jumping between podcasts too, because the actual podcast app is so god-awful.
    3D Touch on the keyboard to move the insertion point is huge that would be a big loss imo.
    Oh. My. God.

I did not know this was a thing. Just tried it.
    #gamechanger

• Advertisement

As I recall, the rumour was that while there would be no 3D Touch sensor, much of the force touch functionality would be retained via software simulation, i.e. some variation of long presses that detect if your figure is pressing harder. Something like this was almost certainly in the works anyway in order to bring force touch (if not 3D Touch) to the iPad. How well it works and whether its ready for September is another matter.

This was only for the 6.1-inch model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Dades wrote: »
    Oh. My. God.

I did not know this was a thing. Just tried it.
    #gamechanger

I never heard of it either. It's brilliant and will be so useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

3D Touch on the keyboard to move the insertion point is huge that would be a big loss imo.

Man, that's the bomb, I didn't know you could do that. I've been struggling with the PITA way of doing it for years haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I'm hoping the new model will be called the "iPhone XS", because that will really describe apples products at the moment.

TBi wrote: »
    I'm hoping the new model will be called the "iPhone XS", because that will really describe apples products at the moment.
    Xtra Small? You must have huge hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Use force touch for ringing my favourites from the phone icon.

On tom tom or Google mapsI use it for driving home/drive to work etc (at nighttime so I know the exact stretch of road I'm on and whether I've enough distance to overtake etc..its not as if I don't know my way home :D )

On facebook for scanning QR codes.

Camera app for video or taking selfie with the kids.

Audible for quick playing my current audio book..

the list just goes on and on...for me its one of the best things Apple have introduced to the iphone in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I only discovered this recently and couldn’t do without it now! I also use it for a number of other things all the time, it’s a great feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Totally disagree, if you use your phone for any kind of media consumption then the larger screens are way better.

Yes. But what if you don’t?

What if you want a device to use with one hand to browse the internet, check Facebook, Whatsapp, make calls.

A 6 inch phone requires me to use both hands to reach the top of the screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cant believe I didn’t know about that. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Yes. But what if you don’t?

What if you want a device to use with one hand to browse the internet, check Facebook, Whatsapp, make calls.

A 6 inch phone requires me to use both hands to reach the top of the screen.

Swipe down on the home screen makes it much easier to use with one hand to access certain things.

Advertisement