Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats next...9 or 8S?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tony1980 wrote: »
    Swipe down on the home screen makes it much easier to use with one hand to access certain things.

Swiping down on the home screen opens search does it not?

If you mean “reachability” that requires a swipe on the very bottom of the screen (on the iPhone X) and I find it very fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Blazer wrote: »
    On facebook for scanning QR codes.

The camera app supports QR natively. Just point at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The camera app supports QR natively. Just point at it :)

**** I never knew that !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Current rumours suggest three iPhones

5.8” OLED, think of it as an updated to the current iPhone X.
    6.1” LCD, low cost iPhone that’s got a notch and looks similar to iPhone X but without stainless steel edges.
    6.5” OLED, think of it as an iPhone X Plus.

What they’ll actually be called won’t be known until Apple start making the boxes/leak software that has the names embedded in it.

I’d say September announcement, with release 2-3 weeks later.

It wasn’t so much the name but whether it’ll be physically different. If the new phone is physically different then I will most likely upgrade this year. If it’s the same as the 8, I won’t bother.
    3D Touch on the keyboard to move the insertion point is huge that would be a big loss imo.

I have that on my 6S, it’s a hugely important function in my opinion and I’d hate to lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It wasn’t so much the name but whether it’ll be physically different. If the new phone is physically different then I will most likely upgrade this year. If it’s the same as the 8, I won’t bother.

the next flagship phones will all look like the X style most likely. There'll probably keep the 8 around as a cheaper alternative to the rumoured cheaper 6.1" device coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

quarryman wrote: »
    Swiping down on the home screen opens search does it not?

If you mean “reachability” that requires a swipe on the very bottom of the screen (on the iPhone X) and I find it very fiddly.

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, I mean reachability which is turned on in settings. Then double tap on the home button to use it. I am using an IPhone 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Force touch for me provides lots of different functionality and options specific to different apps.

Very similar to right click on a pc.

It's a great feature and should not be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

TinCool wrote: »
    Man, that's the bomb, I didn't know you could do that. I've been struggling with the PITA way of doing it for years haha.

same as...JFC

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

kceire wrote: »
    Cant believe I didn’t know about that. Thank you.
    tony1980 wrote: »
    I only discovered this recently and couldn’t do without it now! I also use it for a number of other things all the time, it’s a great feature!

How does this actually work?

200motels wrote: »
    How does this actually work?

Use force touch on a keyboard and then you can slide left or right to move cursor and easily position it. Works really well.

I wish you could swipe up and down as well to be able to move up and down lines as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

murpho999 wrote: »
    I wish you could swipe up and down as well to be able to move up and down lines as well.

You can. Well it works for me anyway!

BDJW wrote: »
    You can. Well it works for me anyway!

Yes you are right.

I was using Google Gboard and it doesn't work on that but does on other keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

[off topic] but if you force (3d) touch the little 'X' in notification center, you can clear all the notifications including the ones from the previous days. Saw this over on reddit, haven't tried myself. But just another interesting use of 3D Touch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

fifth wrote: »
    [off topic] but if you force (3d) touch the little 'X' in notification center, you can clear all the notifications including the ones from the previous days. Saw this over on reddit, haven't tried myself. But just another interesting use of 3D Touch.

:eek:

You've been clearing your notifications one by one all the time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

People clear their notifications?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Oh Mr.Professor, don't tell me your notification screen is a jumbled mess?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What’s a notification?

Advertisement