Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOAT - July 2018 - "Extreme Weather"

• 18-07-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

What is VOAT?

VOAT stands for Variations On A Theme. A short story competition (with no prize except the respect of your peers) that runs here from time to time. A theme, story outline, or opening line, is given for everyone to write about in their own style or with their own spin on the story. There is typically a word limit (1500 or 2000 words, maximum). There is a time limit (usually 5-7 days from the theme announcement). The stories are sent to one designated person. The stories are posted anonymously by that person in a new thread and everyone can vote for their favourites.

Let's set the writing window from today, Wednesday 18th to 23:59 on Friday 27th.

If you're interested, express your interest below (don't post your stories here - send them to me by Private Message when ready and everyone will vote blind).
    Theme: Extreme Weather

Deadline: Friday 27th July at 23:59

Word Count: Up to 2,000 (a limit, not a target)

Send completed stories to me via PM before the deadline.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It’s a long time since we had a VOAT and I’ve got lazy but I’ll try to come up with something. Count me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If there aren't more replies to this, I'll shut it down (it's not fair on those want to write).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sorry folks, I'm up the walls. Editing and trying to get a submission package together.

But I'd say there's no harm in leaving this open. Worst case you're the only one who writes, and getting something written is a big win in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Oh, I just saw this new thread. I'll be submitting a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SlicedBread19

I will, but having only just joined I probably won't have anything ready in time for this one. Count me in for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If there's another, I'd like to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Last day for this. Already received a few stories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Sorry for not writing a story as promised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

you sprung this on me while I was in Liverpool *stamps feet and holds his breath until he goes blue in the face*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I keep telling myself I'll get around to posting something here, to take part in one of these VOATs, even if it's a WIP or - as is most often the case - an idea never finished. Ain't no two ways about it, I have a big mental block about sharing my scribbles with strangers :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement