Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Paths dirty as f...

Options
  • 18-07-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello guys,
    Could you tell me who is responsible for keeping the cycling paths clean? I cycle from Raheny to Tallaght, and the worst part is Naas Road...going to Tallaght before the Red Cow there are lots of businesses there, and the cycling path is a mess. Lots of sharp stones, broken glass, and rubbish... the other side of Red Cow roundabout is even worse, looks like it has never been cleaned. I had two punctures last week. Going from Tallaght to the City Centre is the same. Who can I call or email to solve this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Try fixmystreet.ie. I’ve used this in fingal with success previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Have you thought about going up the N81 from the city centre , Rathmines, Terenure and up to Tallaght village? Much handier.

Lots of industry around the Naas road, if it gets cleaned up now it wont be long before its f**ked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, Naas Road is not great, from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Out of curiosity what part of Tallaght are you trying to get to. I cycle eastpoint -> tallaght -> blessington so chances are you could be doing a fair bit of my route. I'd avoid the N7 though at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Four short blasts on a dog whistle and you'll summon citizen wolf to clear your lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Try fixmystreet.ie. I’ve used this in fingal with success previously.
    Ha I tried that for the N4 cycle path. 2 days later the bus lane was spotless and more s***e thrown up onto the cycle path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was cycling through sutton once, and there was a concerned citizen sweeping broken glass on the footpath. fair play to him.
    he even swept it clean out of the way, straight into the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Even Citizen Wolf in that video seemed to be sweeping it aside into the grass. I'd be worried about the dog going off the path and getting cut by glass in the margins. The only really safe way is to gather it up and remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CrazyR

gmacww wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what part of Tallaght are you trying to get to. I cycle eastpoint -> tallaght -> blessington so chances are you could be doing a fair bit of my route. I'd avoid the N7 though at all costs.

I go to Tallaght Training Centre in Cookstown. It's close to the Square. The route itself is not that bad if the paths were clean.

I will try the route that OleRodrigo suggested, but it looks like I will be doing a few more km. I'll try anyway.

I wrote a message on FixMyStreet.ie will see what happens.

Looks like they don't give a rat's arse about cyclists... cycling paths are still messy... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Holy ****! That's a nasty one... yeah it's a shame all the potholes, and sewer covers an inch or two below the surface level. Looks like the cycling paths are there so nobody says Dublin doesn't have them... but the only one that is really made with cyclists in mind is the new one on Clontarf Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ED E wrote: »
    Four short blasts on a dog whistle and you'll summon citizen wolf to clear your lane

Too bad you're not up along the Raheny/Sutton end of the s2s cycleway. The shards of glass at the seats along the path before you reach Kilbarrack turnoff were always pissing me off since they were planted there a year ago and I always wished I had a broom with me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's the mushy leaves along the canal the nark me. It seems to surprise the council that leaves fall each autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's the mushy leaves along the canal the nark me. It seems to surprise the council that leaves fall each autumn.

That's classic irish beurocracy for you here. The council will say that's Waterways Irelands responsibility. Waterways Ireland will say they dont have the budget to do anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not really 'bureaucracy' for the council to tell you who is actually responsible for their upkeep?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

it's not really 'bureaucracy' for the council to tell you who is actually responsible for their upkeep?

No but it is beurocracy for the council not to have them under their remit.

The canal is used as a commuter route by people living and working in the city. WI are a body largely responsible for recreational use of the canals in rural areas. It makes little sense for them to have responsibility for the paths inside the M50.

Another example is the path to Broombridge since the Luas opened. Hundreds are walking down the path in darkness. WI say they don't have the budget to put lights in place there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

P_1 wrote: »
    That's classic irish beurocracy for you here. The council will say that's Waterways Irelands responsibility. Waterways Ireland will say they dont have the budget to do anything

I eventually managed to get WI to cut down the overhanging branches at Portobello after chasing the CEO personally by email during the summer. Once again, the inevitable movement of the seasons - growth in this case - seemed to come as a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Southern Cross road in Bray is one of the few places I get up into the 45kph range under my own steam but haven't been able to do that for weeks. the verges are so full of sand and mud that it's like a country lane now, it extends out into the lane in a lot of places aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mrcheez wrote: »
    Too bad you're not up along the Raheny/Sutton end of the s2s cycleway. The shards of glass at the seats along the path before you reach Kilbarrack turnoff were always pissing me off since they were planted there a year ago and I always wished I had a broom with me :/

he's up that general direction alright, posted a video previously of him sweeping the lane at Clontarf village and often posts videos of poor overtaking etc in Raheny village. he could be your white knight yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement