Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque from US

• 18-07-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

Has anyone any idea how long it takes for a cashiers cheque from the US to clear.

BOI have told me 6-8 weeks surely this cannot be the case?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

That's about right; there is no direct interconnectivity between US and European banking systems, so BOI have to literally ship the cheque off to the issuing bank and wait for them to come back to say "Yep it's valid..." before they can release the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Ah, the wonders of our new interconnected globalised world of instant trades…

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Rechuchote wrote: »

In fairness, cheques are practically antiques at this stage. You'd be mad to use them, unless for some reason there's no feasible alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

JBhoy84 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone any idea how long it takes for a cashiers cheque from the US to clear.

BOI have told me 6-8 weeks surely this cannot be the case?????

BoI now do extra fraud controls on international cheques which delays clearing further. BoI rightly, perform the extra checks due to the high level of fraud with international cheques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Quackster wrote: »
    In fairness, cheques are practically antiques at this stage. You'd be mad to use them, unless for some reason there's no feasible alternative.

If you do Amazon.com affiliates, its still the only way to get paid. Dunno why .... both kindle publishing and amazon.co.uk have figured out getting money to the the European banking system, but .com hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Rechuchote wrote: »

Yes, instant fund transfer is very possible and has been for many, many years.

So if I was working in an Irish bank, and some guy arrives in with an American cheque, the first thing I'm going to think is, "why is this guy presenting an American cheque in 2018, no way am I taking any risks with this, he's not getting a penny until this clears".

Advertisement