Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring queries (70s house)

Options
  • 18-07-2018 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭

I've an early 70s, large 3 bed terrace that is coming close to needing a full rewiring.

Background is that the lighting circuit has phtalate issues (green goo, the switches are going green) and is unearthed; the socket rings seem OK but the fuse amperages appear to be picked at random - they're bottle fuses so they probably are; the wiring in the walls seems to be in ducts at some points but not at others. Meter is one half of an old nightrate setup with an ancient AMF timeswitch that clangs twice a day attempting to switch to nothing - and nowhere near the proper times anyway. ESB Networks couldn't find a valid meter number on it as it was on the removed half...

It is probably still safe (I've an engineering degree but I'm not an electrician, so not qualified to make that judgement) but I want to add sockets etc and also there's a lot of tiling planned that I don't want to have to smash and repair in five years or so. I also want the meter moved.

Are there any prep works I can do to reduce costs and actually make it easier for the electrician? Not looking to cut corners and/or piss them off but I suspect there's things like wall chanelling, replacing ducting, removing attic insulation or lifting floors that would be seen as incidental to the real job. Did some prep work with flooring mainly when getting gas in that the RGI appreciated as it let him get on with actually doing what he's trained in.

Would I have to get the rewiring done before getting the meter moved? Its in a ground level cabinet in the hall and I want it moved up to the wall like it is in most houses; but I'm concerned that getting the meter moved (replaced) couldn't be done at the same time as a rewire.

I've been told that the condition of the lighting circuit and skirting mounted sockets in a few rooms would prevent me being able to get a new meter as it stands - is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I would suggest before doing any work which you believe would be beneficial to the Electrician that you actually consult the chosen Registered Electrical Contractor first. If they are not happy with you doing whatever aspect then ultimately that is their decision. Obviously anything which counts as Restricted Works is legally outside your remit to carry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I would suggest before doing any work which you believe would be beneficial to the Electrician that you actually consult the chosen Registered Electrical Contractor first. If they are not happy with you doing whatever aspect then ultimately that is their decision. Obviously anything which counts as Restricted Works is legally outside your remit to carry out.

Obviously I'd check with whoever is doing it - but am I wasting my time suggesting (or doing) some of what I had thought of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

I would get some overtime off your boss and let the electrician do his job. Work out less hassle for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jennehy wrote: »
    I would get some overtime off your boss and let the electrician do his job. Work out less hassle for everyone.

No such concept for me, I'm the engineering manager and on a salary.

Separate to the pre-works one, the meter replacement query is something I have concerns over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Once you engage with an electrical contractor perhaps you could do all of the chasing, install the flush mounted meter cabinet, lift some floorboards and drill some joists. You may also be able to install some cabling for intruder alarm, network points and coaxial cables for TV points. Obviously this would have to be coordinated and agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d agree with 2011 if you get a contractor tell him you will be responsible for chasing and lifting floors plus reinstating and patching, but get him to mark out the chases and which boards to lift, your idea of where cables should come from and his might be wildly different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Any time we got the home owner to do chasing or other work we had to redo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Also my experience. You would be waiting around for days for them to do it and then when they finally get around to doing it it's wrong anyway. And then they wonder why the bill is higher...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Buy the materials from Screwfix, ship to parcel motel, pay for the labour only.

UK wire is different to Irish wire these days so you have to source the new twin & earth here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cgarrad wrote: »
    Buy the materials from Screwfix, ship to parcel motel, pay for the labour only.

UK wire is different to Irish wire these days so you have to source the new twin & earth here.

1) That will cost more
    2) In the event that a device fails the electrician would have to be paid to return.
    3) Due to a lack of experience electrically inexperienced people tend to buy incorrect and low quality materials. It is better to take advantage of the electrician’s experience.

• Advertisement

That is a fair point, I can understand your concerns. There has to be a level of trust there which is not always possible. Perhaps under the right circumstances the homeowner could do a few sample chases first. Also the REC could have an agreement not to start until all chasing has been completed to an acceptable standard within an agreed timeframe. Obviously this solution wouldn't always work.

Advertisement