Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The role model superthread!

• 18-07-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I find a lot of the discussion in AH about gender specific issues can be quite toxic, mainly due to a small number of trolls and **** stirrers who are dead set on derailing discussion. Resulting in quite a negative vibe that seems to put the sexes against each other.

Please treat this as a celebration of women who you admire and respect for their achievements.

I work in a fairly male dominated industry but have had the privilege of working with a number of really inspiring female colleagues over the years. I’ve also encountered countless dedicated, hard working professionals in the health service, teaching and other such professions.

In the public eye, I would put Mary Robinson, right up there along with Adi Roche.

So AH. Who are you favorite female role models?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

This thread is sexist. Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

verycool wrote: »
    This thread is sexist. Reported.

That’s the spirit😛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

President of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mother Teresa, Imelda Marcos and Winny Mandela

Omackeral wrote: »

I’m with you on Mother T and probably Winny...but Imelda Marcos?

Did you mean Imelda May and auto correct screwed it up on you?? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Katie Hopkins. A strong independent woman who isn't afraid to speak her mind and doesn't care what people think of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont think mother teresa should be anywhere near a list like this. there is nothing for anyone to look up to about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mother Teresa

MT was a sick bitch: "suffering brings you closer to god".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

i dont think mother teresa should be anywhere near a list like this. there is nothing for anyone to look up to about her.

You don't understand AH do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Whoosh...

• Advertisement

There have been so many incredible women down through history. Mostly though my role models are regular women who do their best under difficult circumstances. They are all around us. Women who ask for help, women who help others, sacrifices that are made, selfless acts, fighting on no matter. I'm lucky to have a few in my life. Basically women who are brave. I'm mostly not so I have a lot of respect for those who are.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Katie Hopkins. A strong independent woman who isn't afraid to speak her mind and doesn't care what people think of her.

Hahaha! Good old Hatey Hopkins, the oul racist biatch! She even got sacked by the Daily Fail for her "final solution" tweet.

Her two part documentary "My Fat Story" is worth a watch though, just to see what a cnut she really is.

Imelda Motherfcuking Marcos

Pherekydes wrote: »
    MT was a sick bitch: "suffering brings you closer to god".

Well that's the joke. The hint is that the other two were awful yokes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Fox Substantial Talc

Caitlyn Jenner is a beautiful brave woman 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Ma

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Imelda macros never left her husband, just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

The Satanists Ma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Well that's the joke. The hint is that the other two were awful yokes too.

sorry my level of knollegage of female nut cases is a bit limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I find it ironic how in a world where women enjoy more equal rights and nowhere near the same levels of discrimination in the workplace, that the role models held up for them today seem to be vanity projects like Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and social media "influencers".

No Marie Curie, Florence Nightingale, Rosamund Franklin-esque figures who had to "make it" in a male-centric world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Kylie Kardashian, the self-made billionaire.

*rimshot*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

1. My mother in law - initially I couldn't handle her ways. Now I admire her for the sheer fighting spirit and determination that she always had but I failed to recognise, and the same fighting spirit and determination she continues with today. You would have to see it to believe it and I wished I appreciated the woman she is before now.

2. Rosemary Smith. I only found out about her recently. She was a rally car driver..still alive but in her 80s now. Saw her on Tommy Tiernan. Ever since I have been awe struck by her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Sister Consillio who runs Cuan Mhuire. She has dedicated her life to helping destitute people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Mary Robinson
    Marie Curie
    Audrey Hepburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Kelly Brooke. I want to motorboat her.

1. My mother in law - initially I couldn't handle her ways. Now I admire her for the sheer fighting spirit and determination that she always had but I failed to recognise, and the same fighting spirit and determination she continues with today. You would have to see it to believe it and I wished I appreciated the woman she is before now.

2. Rosemary Smith. I only found out about her recently. She was a rally car driver..still alive but in her 80s now. Saw her on Tommy Tiernan. Ever since I have been awe struck by her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Smith

never heard of her either until recently - very interesting story. would make a good movie

Kelly Brooke. I want to motorboat her.

She's a dirtbag, laughed about domestically abusing her partner on national TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I honestly couldn't think of any "famous" role models (male or female) that have any particular relevance or influence on me.. But then I'm not into celeb culture or hero worship in general.

My biggest influence growing up would have been my late mother (my dad was out of the picture early on) and how hard she worked to look after her 2 young kids in 80s Ireland (which was a very different place for single mothers - although the nonsense on this forum at times would suggest things haven't changed that much really) and even moved abroad with us for a few years in search of work until she got sick.

Even then she struggled and sacrificed (would have been only early 30s herself when she got sick) to educate us both and give us both a chance at college, despite a debilitating illness and low income (invalidity pension from her time abroad).

She wasn't perfect. While she provided for us as best she could, she was far from maternal (probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place - although information we discovered after her death explained some of it and her own parents are no prize), but as I've gotten older and as a parent now myself, I realise a bit more just how hard it must have been. At least she got to meet her grandson before she died too.

So, flawed as she may have been and as much as we fought sometimes, she'll still get my vote.

• Advertisement

I find it ironic how in a world where women enjoy more equal rights and nowhere near the same levels of discrimination in the workplace, that the role models held up for them today seem to be vanity projects like Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and social media "influencers".

No Marie Curie, Florence Nightingale, Rosamund Franklin-esque figures who had to "make it" in a male-centric world.

i know what you mean, although I would have thought Beyonce and Taylor Swift are undoubtedly talented and have achieved a lot on merit? not in the same league as Marie curie, I grant you that!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't think of any "famous" role models (male or female) that have any particular relevance or influence on me.. But then I'm not into celeb culture or hero worship in general.

My biggest influence growing up would have been my late mother (my dad was out of the picture early on) and how hard she worked to look after her 2 young kids in 80s Ireland (which was a very different place for single mothers - although the nonsense on this forum at times would suggest things haven't changed that much really) and even moved abroad with us for a few years in search of work until she got sick.

Even then she struggled and sacrificed (would have been only early 30s herself) to educate us both and give us both a chance at college, despite a debilitating illness and low income (invalidity pension from her time abroad).

She wasn't perfect. While she provided for us as best she could, she was far from maternal (probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place - although information we discovered after her death explained some of it and her own parents are no prize), but as I've gotten older and as a parent now myself, I realise a bit more just how hard it must have been. At least she got to meet her grandson before she died too.

So, flawed as she may have been and as much as we fought sometimes, she'll still get my vote.

I vote for Kaiser's ma too.

And Xena, Warrior Princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Stormy Daniels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Xena warrior Princess. She could headbutt Chuck Norris into paste....just by thinking about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bernadette Devlin/McAliskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think Rosemary turns up with John Crredon in his new series. Used to marshall are rallies, Rosemary was noted for driving very fast between stages too.

Mother Jones, the 'most dangerous woman in America'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Harris_Jones

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Even then she struggled and sacrificed (would have been only early 30s herself when she got sick) to educate us both and give us both a chance at college, despite a debilitating illness and low income (invalidity pension from her time abroad).

great post...thanks Kaiser

The Opera singer Maria Callas. She lived a tragic life in many ways but she was beautiful and blessed with an incredible talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Sam Fox. Every woman should aspire to become more like her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

The lucky bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Rosemary's an amazing lady. Mr Crumble is into cars. She did a speech/presentation at a car show he was at a couple of years ago.
    He said she was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Katie Taylor

Dominating a sport and proving to women they can pick up, and be successful at, a sport that could be considered too brutal for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I always admired Ang Sang Su Kyi of Burma but now that's tainted. Former president Robinson was very statesmanlike but cold. Former president McAleese came across as very human and warm but she has soured things for me by sniping at the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Princess Diana. She was good to AIDS patients, shaking hands with one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

branie2 wrote: »
    Princess Diana. She was good to AIDS patients, shaking hands with one of them.

I had forgotten that. Yes in light of the times that was an incredibly brave thing for her to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Both Mary's are a pain in the hole to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

she can abuse me anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Jenna Jameson. A decent actress with a few holes in her game but always gives 100%.

Both Mary's are a pain in the hole to listen to.

Agreed. Never got the hype. Two media luvvies who have nothing interesting to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Miley Cyrus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

This woman.

Lizzie Purbrick, 63, admitted using a key to enter the south London home of David Prior as a “cathartic” response to seeing her partner of several years “in the arms of another woman”.

Camberwell magistrates court heard Purbrick used a garden sprayer and several litres of pig’s blood to cover the walls with phrases such as “whore”, “lady slut”, “big dick lord” and “Mags wet between the legs” on 9 May.

There was no explanation in court over what the reference to “Mags” meant.

She also drew a penis on the floor and left a cheque for £1,000 before discarding the remainder of the blood on the floor and leaving.

I don't normally go for older women, but I may be in love.

• Advertisement
Advertisement