Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The role model superthread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Sasha Grey :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Queen Elizabeth ll

Runs

I'm not a Royalist but I like her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

My mother, long gone now, battled a lot of physical illnesses which had emotional and psychiatric side effects. Regardless of these, housed women thrown out of their homes because of various and sometimes imagined infringements on societal and religious life choices.
    Fostered about a dozen kids who had previously lived in tough family situations, all the time living with her own and familial addictions, who succeeded in hiding her dementia until her brain was over half dead.

Others, Mary Robinson, Mary Kenny(pre-conversion days), Nell Mc Cafferty, the factious Emma Peel!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Joan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Had a career as a physicist and then went on to become the most powerful person in Germany. I'd have huge admiration for her and think she'll go down very well in history.

She will go down as the person who let 1 million people into her country which many Germans ain't too happy about.

No friend to us either when after the economy crashed in 08.

Don't know what you're smoking if you think she is a role model for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Joan Freeman, Adi Roche, Christina Nobel

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Malala Yousafzai, and only partially because it would likely annoy the usual suspects on here. She's genuinely inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Might as well have one for the fellas.

I'm going to go with David Attenborough, 92 and still making interesting wildlife programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

This thread is sexist. Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Batman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

verycool

The man is a hero for standing up to patriarchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My dad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I quite like Terry Crews. Some of what he's been through is absolutely appalling and he's handled it like a proper gentleman.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Same could be said about Buddhist philosophy

That's like the opposite of buddhist philosophy
    Here is things that cause suffering
    Don't do the things

Judge judy takes no sh!t

At the moment its jordan peterson for me. Loving his anti left wing and anti bullsh!t stance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Malala Yousafzai, and only partially because it would likely annoy the usual suspects on here. She's genuinely inspirational.

You mean Zoolala. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

lukesmom wrote: »
    At the moment its jordan peterson for me. Loving his anti left wing and anti bullsh!t stance

Petersons a good lad

Michael O'Leary for me..........the man is a genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

The Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Adolf Hitler, because all men are basically Hitler these days according to some people.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

nullzero wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler, because all men are basically Hitler these days according to some people.

Godwin's Law in eleven posts. Not bad AH, not bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Karen Brady, her CV is hugely impressive.........made it a 99% male dominated field

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

jcorr wrote: »
    You mean Zoolala. Lol.

Eh, good one? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭HappySerious

Mr. Rogers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ferdinand Marcos, Robert Maxwell, Archbishop McQuaid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Bruce Jenner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Gerry Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Clint Eastwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brian Cox (either of them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

young-chef-holding-bread-roll-100102053.jpg

Roll model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

lukesmom wrote: »

Anti-bullshit?

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/913531363915128832

Seriously, anti-bullshit? He's full of it. Sooner his fanboys realise that the emperor is bollock-naked, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

I'm pretty neutral about Peterson. One of the funniest things I heard said about him was that every time he began talking, he looked like he was about to cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a toss up between Conor McGregor and Paddy Losty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

John McAfee

nullzero wrote: »
    Compare his roads to the roads in Ireland. Just for his roads alone, he should lead Ireland.

Also, his body was never found. The russians claim they burnt his body, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pope Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Ranulph Fiennes

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

I'm not a sports fan by any means, but Gary Linnaker was a great ambassador for his sport, his country and seems to have remained clear of any kind of controversy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anti-bullshit?

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/913531363915128832

Seriously, anti-bullshit? He's full of it. Sooner his fanboys realise that the emperor is bollock-naked, the better.

I'd agree with this, but I'd still say he's a good role model because he insists on speaking his mind, come what may. The world needs more people who'll stand up to the mob for the right to say whatever the f*ck they want to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Paul Rudd.

• Advertisement

I'm not a sports fan by any means, but Gary Linnaker was a great ambassador for his sport, his country and seems to have remained clear of any kind of controversy...

Hard to warm to the guy though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Cristiano Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

After a World Cup full of diving and cheating I think Luka Modric stood out, not just as a footballer but also as a modest and admirable man. From what I've read also he seems to have had a difficult past coming from a refugee background.

Another man that I admire hugely because he comes across as vastly intelligent but extremely humble, full of ideas but not overly intense or stuck up. I could listen to him speak all day long, that's Brian Eno, endlessly interesting.

I've also always admired Stephen Fry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Brian Blessed, great voice, great beard. Also did some amazing stuff over the years.

Blessed was a keen boxer in his youth and claims to have sparred with the Dalai Lama. He has attempted to climb Mount Everest three times without supplemental oxygen, reaching heights of 28,200 feet (8,600 m) in 1993 and 25,200 feet (7,700 m) in 1996, but without reaching the summit. He holds a 3rd dan in Judo. He has reached the tops of Mount Aconcagua in Argentina and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.[citation needed] He is the oldest man to go to the North Magnetic Pole on foot, and has undertaken an expedition into the jungles of Venezuela, during which he survived a plane crash. Blessed has completed 800 hours of space training at Star City in Russia.

Seriously, anti-bull****? He's full of it. Sooner his fanboys realise that the emperor is bollock-naked, the better.

I'm not quite sure why that tweet was so outrageous. Not a huge fan of Peterson myself. He is a little repetitive for me. I can't see the hate for him though. Seems a little silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

thich nhat hanh

He's such role model of kindness and good treatment of other people.

I had a meditation teacher before.
    Ack-show-been was how to pronounce his name.

His wife left him due to him being diagnosed with advance cancer that same day.
    That same week.. He ran a retreat and taught others about compassion and self care. Inspired me for over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'm not quite sure why that tweet was so outrageous.

It read like something out of The Handmaid's Tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who are yours? For me, it's a toss up between Kirk Lazurus and Rachel Dolzeal

alg-robertdowneyjr-jpg.jpg

RachelDolezal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Cristiano Ronaldo. I don't care about football, but he makes a lot of money and pulls a lot of viewers therefore that is enough to hold him up as a role model. All that money, what a role model, if only we could all be like him.

(I don't think this, this is a parody of a post I saw someone say on the female role model thread about judge judy).

• Advertisement

Ali G.

Advertisement