Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Mobile Broadband

• 18-07-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm considering getting the Three mobile broadband for 30 euro per month as its unlimited. As I'll be using it for my holiday home for guests to use, I just wanted to hear people's experiences with it regarding reliability and speed? It's a pretty good offer compared to Vodafone who only give 150gb for 45 per month. I know VF have better reliability and possibly better speeds, but Three's coverage map seems to indicate I should have full 4G both indoors and outdoors.thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

20E is also unlimited.

Test it at the address. If it's an area popular for holiday homes the peak speeds could be 1-2Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Pick up a free pay as you go sim card, top up by €20 giving you unlimited data for the month.
    Check your reception and speed for the month, if you are happy after the month then go for it.
    It's better than nothing but at this moment in time, I have 4 bars of 4G reception and am only getting 3.6mb speed, a few people hogging that together in a guest house ???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

I use a €20PM PAYG and a huawei 4g modem as my main internet. The €30PM has a 12 month contract, so if the coverage or contention went to pot in your area you would be stuck with the contract.

Its working great for me, my eir broadband is 5mb and three is anywhere from 10-20mb most days and has been pretty reliable

I use around 100gb per month and never noticed any throttling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Is there a fair usage policy for that 20E pay as you go? I dont usually go over 100gb, but dont want to have any surprise for out of bundle charges.:eek:

Oh I just found this in the t&c

"Should your data usage exceed 60GB in a 28 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your All you can Eat Data Service."

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there a fair usage policy for that 20E pay as you go? I dont usually go over 100gb, but dont want to have any surprise for out of bundle charges.:eek:

Oh I just found this in the t&c

"Should your data usage exceed 60GB in a 28 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your All you can Eat Data Service."

Given that 3 network is congested at peak times, it's a self limiting service (not by design but because it's oversold). Haven't heard of anyone being slowed down or cut off for going over 60GB. They have a limit of 2TB shown in their portal.

The main issue with 3 is that after 28 days is up they charge one euro per MB. The most you'll lose is 20 euro. There are 500MB add ons for five euro so use credit that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I have Three, I use both, PAYG and the €30 a month, same service, it slows down at peak times, otherwise it is a reliable service, I have a timer that switches off the routers for a short period at 4 am, otherwise you have to do it manually every now and then. I use 200 - 250G per month on the PAYG They don't slow it down, again as EDE said it slows down, it depends where you are, but still useable. If I use less than 250 G I would go straight to Vodafone, their speed is great, I tried it for 10 Days, up to 205 mbps and more than 40 mbps peak times.

Just ran a test
    7490516466.png
    This PAYG connected with ethernet cable and using external antenna, my house is in outdoor only for 4G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Heres a quick test over wifi, no antenna connected. I'm in Cork.
    7500537862.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Those speeds look very promising!

I'm not in a high-user area as I'm in West Cork, so all going well once I have a 3G/4G connection there, we'll be good to go.

Those speeds look very promising!

I'm not in a high-user area as I'm in West Cork, so all going well once I have a 3G/4G connection there, we'll be good to go.

Wait, tomorrow I will run a test at peak times.

• Advertisement

Pleasant surprise today
    normally the speed on Friday evening is 1 to 3 mbps

7505520883.png

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Hi Everyone

Im just about to get either 3 broadband modem deal or Vodafone & wanted to checked in here before I decide... The house where I am renting had vodafone modem wifi broadband before and left their modem behind

3 have said their plug-inmodem is 29.50e a month - 30 day rolling contract (that can be stopped at a months notice if I have my own moden - can this be any modem?? even an old vodafone one??) I reckon the coverage on 3 will be fairly good because I am using PAYG mobile data on my phone & doing a speed test all over the house it seems to be pretty good so I can only imagine the broadband modem wifi will be as good if not better... If i do not have a modem I must enter into a 24month contract with 3.. this is what I took from my research
    As far as 3Three have explained to me this is UNLIMITED

Vodafone meanwhile is limited at 300G a month yet it is 40euro on a minimal years contract.... I struggle to understand how ppl go with Vodafone on this broadband modem deal but there must be a reason
    is 3's really unlimited AND will it be ok if I use a modem that was used for Vodafone within the last 16-22months??

Which should I go with?

Appreciate all advice

rossj wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Im just about to get either 3 broadband modem deal or Vodafone & wanted to checked in here before I decide... The house where I am renting had vodafone modem wifi broadband before and left their modem behind

3 have said their plug-inmodem is 29.50e a month - 30 day rolling contract (that can be stopped at a months notice if I have my own moden - can this be any modem?? even an old vodafone one??) I reckon the coverage on 3 will be fairly good because I am using PAYG mobile data on my phone & doing a speed test all over the house it seems to be pretty good so I can only imagine the broadband modem wifi will be as good if not better... If i do not have a modem I must enter into a 24month contract with 3.. this is what I took from my research
    As far as 3Three have explained to me this is UNLIMITED

Vodafone meanwhile is limited at 300G a month yet it is 40euro on a minimal years contract.... I struggle to understand how ppl go with Vodafone on this broadband modem deal but there must be a reason
    is 3's really unlimited AND will it be ok if I use a modem that was used for Vodafone within the last 16-22months??

Which should I go with?

Appreciate all advice
    It is unlikely Three sim card will work with Vodafone router, I had Three but now I have Vodafone, where I live Vodafone is more than 5 times faster than Three. Go to Three and ask them about the cool off period, if they have try it, or if affordable, buy an unlocked router "Huawei B525" from amazon, it is worth noticing 5G router is coming to Three in 2 months or so "if you are in 5G area".
    You have Three sim card, put it in the Vodafone router and see what will happen.

Thanks Ultimanemo...

Thats what I was advised to do today..and am still waiting on getttin access to that vodafone modem

Ive had a look at adverts & done deal and havnt found too many other routers/ modems.. Are you defo sure that ONLY the new/used Huawei B525 modem will do the job or would any of Huawei b593, Huawei b311, Huawei B315 or Huawei E5186 modems be just as compatible with any of the 3 20e PAYG sim or the 30e SIM Only Broadband deal or even the Vodafone X PAYG SIM??

.. Could the Vodafone X PAYE SIM be a valid option because I think I saw this was just a deal for students and besides all that Has anyone actually tried the Vodafone X PAYE SIM in a vodafone (probably locked) modem,.... I know several people have confirmed it is indeed possible on a 3 20e monthly top up SIM/ modem but I have never heard anythin about a similar action with Vodafone...

Im hopin to make a decision on this by Tomorrow so any definitive advice..still very much appreciated..

Hi,

I have found a TP Link MR200 AC 750 Modem router and have been affirmed that this will work with a 3 SIM...
    I am purchasing this tommorrow...

will this TP Link modem be high performing??
    My colleauge has just started using his TP Link Archer MR600 AC 1200 Mbps 46 + Cat 6 and claims it is very good but as my prospective TP LINK modem router is of a lower spec, it will hardly work as well?? The only advantage I have over him is that I am on the outskirts of quite a large town whereas he is very much in a rural area beside a lake...

Thanks for the last minute help

Advertisement