Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festival garden?

Options
  • 19-07-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of the Festival Garden that's appeared in Eyre Square?

Maybe I missed some announcement, but I wasn't really expecting the open-air beer tent and food stalls. Are there going to be actual performances there, or is it just a place for people who aren't really into the arts to hang out during the festival?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Maybe I missed some announcement, but I wasn't really expecting the open-air beer tent and food stalls. Are there going to be actual performances there, or is it just a place for people who aren't really into the arts to hang out during the festival?

Afaik there are bands scheduled, as well as talks and podcast type things. Possibly starting tomorrow night. I think it will be a bit hurried but that's the plan. I know a few bands/musicians scheduled to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Why would an arts festival put on an area for people who aren't really into the arts to hang out? would be kinda outside their remit so i presume there is some arts stuff happening in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Are there going to be actual performances there, or is it just a place for people who aren't really into the arts to hang out during the festival?

OR for Arts Festival goers to chill out between events... :rolleyes:

Great addition to the festival IMO, feels very Edinburgh Fringe'y.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Agreed, no reason to be judgy.

Read in the advertiser there's lots going on this weekend including a Luminarium maze and another People's build structure in the square.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/101927/arts-festival-promises-plenty-of-family-fun-this-weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

This is a great idea - along with the good weather it will great to enjoy the festival atmosphere in the square. This makes the arts festival more accessible for all the family. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do you think it'll stay for the races?

flazio wrote: »
    Do you think it'll stay for the races?

Hopefully not, would be carnage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This is a little Info on the garden

https://www.giaf.ie/events/festival-garden

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

I just want to know if it is off the grass!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

motley wrote: »

Yes, the Precious is safe: the beer garden is in the concreted area around the fountain. They've even got fake grass matting in there.

However there's a show which has the grass in the bottom section covered in plastic for a couple of days. It remains to be seen what effecy that will have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was up there last night. It was nice and chilled out. The rubber sculptures are great craic.

There was a band there last night and folk relaxing under the awning on the sheepskins.

I'd say it will be busy at the weekend.

motley wrote: »

Sure the Arts Festival crowd are rarely off the grass...

79dzl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

Eviledna wrote: »
    This is a great idea - along with the good weather it will great to enjoy the festival atmosphere in the square. This makes the arts festival more accessible for all the family. :-)

Yes - nice place, but as regards family, yesterday the entertainment was a rapper with fairly explicit (parental advisory) lyrics - not family friendly at all IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

inisboffin wrote: »
    Afaik there are bands scheduled, as well as talks and podcast type things. Possibly starting tomorrow night. I think it will be a bit hurried but that's the plan. I know a few bands/musicians scheduled to play.

......any listing anywhere of who-is-playing/performing-when at the festival garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

inisboffin wrote: »

......any listing anywhere of who-is-playing/performing-when at the festival garden?

Yesterday GIAF Facebook page had a list of who was playing in the afternoon. It was fairly short notice though. The Academic were playing but by the time I saw the list they were probably onto their last song :(

The only problem with it being so popular is its not being maintained, see attached from yesterday afternoon

The place was bordering on disgusting by the time we left, rubbish all over the place.

Tweeted the council but no sign of a response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The only problem with it being so popular is its not being maintained, see attached from yesterday afternoon

The place was bordering on disgusting by the time we left, rubbish all over the place.

Tweeted the council but no sign of a response
    That photo is not the festival garden area though. There are “clean up” bags in the background of your photo but nobody using them by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was there on Saturday night and Eyre Square was a disgrace with litter, completely full rubbish bins and takeaway rubbish on the grass, the seating area outside Supermacs was disgusting with litter and takeaway sauces on the ground, I know its not Supermacs problem but surely at a time like the Arts Festival when huge crowds are around the Square there should be Council staff around to empty the bins and keep the place clean. I have never seen it this bad before.

There are “clean up” bags in the background of your photo but nobody using them by the looks of things.

That would be the empty clean up bag holder you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah - I've no idea. it's a pity I haven't seen anything bar a few musicians I know posting on their own pages. I will post if I see, but it would be good even to have a little PDF schedule. The live music was a bit last minute I think. I was there for one of the first bands I think, last week - they were still finishing up the stage between songs LOL! I will check it out again this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Odd set up with the toilets there. Would have thought they'd make it more straightforward to get from the garden to them, more direct instead of having to go out and then go round.

Did love the upcycled bicycle tyre sculptures but missed the name of the artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

However there's a show which has the grass in the bottom section covered in plastic for a couple of days. It remains to be seen what effecy that will have.

I was wrong. It was there for the duration. The Precious is ruined(*). I didn't see it myself but am told it's pure yellow underneath where the Miracoco Luminarium tents were.

Will try and get a pic in the morning.

(*) Well about one-sixth of it. But it's "ruined" based on reactions from the Christmas market were only a fraction was out-of-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OMG not the grass :O

That damn arts festival. Damn it to helllllll

I was wrong. It was there for the duration. The Precious is ruined(*). I didn't see it myself but am told it's pure yellow underneath where the Miracoco Luminarium tents were.

Will try and get a pic in the morning.

(*) Well about one-sixth of it. But it's "ruined" based on reactions from the Christmas market were only a fraction was out-of-order.

3 reasons why this is not a big deal

1. A lot of the grass in the city turned yellow from lack of water anyway

2. We're in the growing season so this will sort itself in a few weeks as opposed to a few months with the Xmas market

3. It's grass, it's made to be used /walked on /trampled / eaten / crapped on / flooded etc etc etc. It always recovers

I didn't see it myself but am told it's pure yellow underneath where the Miracoco Luminarium tents were.

I'm sure the Arts Festival crew have some spare green spray paint to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Stevolende wrote: »
    Did love the upcycled bicycle tyre sculptures but missed the name of the artist.

https://www.mickdavissculptor.com/

The sculptures were brilliant!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Got some of the plants from the wall of flowers today. They’re looking lovely in my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

https://www.mickdavissculptor.com/

The sculptures were brilliant!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

it's all Pul Fahys doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

it's all Pul Fahys doing
    Why? Is he 'pul'ing a fast one?

Advertisement