Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martini

Options
  • 19-07-2018 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭

Hey

I’ve spent the last two days....very expensive days in Dublin for work reasons.

Has struck me more than ever how unbelievably expensive our capital has become.

And more to the point...is there a bar in the city Centre that actually knows how to make real cocktails?
    Martinis especially.

If we’re going to charge NY prices and adopt the NY attitude....then surely we could at least give the NY service?

There are too many fake cocktail bars in Dublin ripping folks off. And serving ‘pretend drinks’ for a small fortune

And it’s a little bit embarrassing. Especially when you have American visitors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Sidecar Bar in the Westbury, The Vintage Cocktail Club or The Blind Pig would all make a good martini in my opinion.

We actually have a lot of good cocktail bars in this city but there also quite a few that are overpriced. I’ve been to most of the leading NY (and London and elsewhere) cocktails bars, and in my opinion, the three I’ve listed match up really well in terms of quality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How can you feck up a Martini? Gin and wave some vermouth at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tanq 10, stirred, with a twist and only allowed to see the vermouth.
    The Trocadero or Shanahan's On The Green. There are others but these two have proved to be unfailing for me.

NOTE: Always assume your server does not know how to mix a martini and discuss it with them first.
    How can you feck up a Martini? Gin and wave some vermouth at it.
    I once got served a martini in Galway that was made with sherry rather than vermouth. Pretty colour, appalling taste.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Mr. Bond tends towards vodka martinis. He can shake the **** out of that as much as he likes as far as I'm concerned. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dudara wrote: »
    The Sidecar Bar in the Westbury, The Vintage Cocktail Club or The Blind Pig would all make a good martini in my opinion.

We actually have a lot of good cocktail bars in this city but there also quite a few that are overpriced. I’ve been to most of the leading NY (and London and elsewhere) cocktails bars, and in my opinion, the three I’ve listed match up really well in terms of quality
    VCC is a prime example of an awful cocktail bar IMHO.

I agree with the general statement though, there are plenty of very good cocktail bars in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The drinks in VCC are very well made, and it’s a well-designed menu. It’s not just a very nice bar layout wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not a cocktail bar, but I had a quality after dinner Manhattan from Trocadero restaurant.

At the time they were running a midweek special of €7.50 for any cocktail, not sure if that's still running though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You're easily embarrassed

Advertisement