Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Macbook Pro - Thermal throttling

Options
  • 19-07-2018 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

It's just out, but Dave2D already found that his i9-8950HK can't even run at its BASE CLOCK (2.9GHz)

In video rendering, it was SLOWER than the previous-gen! :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

These models seem to have been rushed out to pacify the increasingly hysterical pro users, so it might just be a software optimisation issue that will be fixed in a future OS update.

Whatever it is, it highlights why Apple can't wait to ditch Intel and why there's huge gaps between refreshes - because Intel can't make thermally efficient chips to meet Apple's uncompromising designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

because Intel can't make thermally efficient chips to meet Apple's uncompromising designs.

Or... Apple are unable to make designs that can handle the chips they are putting into them :P

I've orderd the 2.6 i7, so hopefully it won't burn the legs off me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

These models seem to have been rushed out to pacify the increasingly hysterical pro users, so it might just be a software optimisation issue that will be fixed in a future OS update.

Whatever it is, it highlights why Apple can't wait to ditch Intel and why there's huge gaps between refreshes - because Intel can't make thermally efficient chips to meet Apple's uncompromising designs.

Do you think that will happen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Or... Apple are unable to make designs that can handle the chips they are putting into them :P

I've orderd the 2.6 i7, so hopefully it won't burn the legs off me.

Apple can make them, they just don't want to. A big ass fan would compromise their ultra slim designs.

Bringing back the 2012 Macbook Pro at the high end, sticking the latest chips in it and selling it for 4k would be the simplest solution to this. And it would have the old keyboard, killing two birds with one stone. Apple don't have a problem selling antiquated models (Mini, Air, etc) and there's clearly a market for it.
    godtabh wrote: »
    Do you think that will happen?

It's happening. It was reported a while ago that Apple is dropping Intel and producing their own Mac chips starting 2020.

Bringing back the 2012 Macbook Pro at the high end, sticking the latest chips in it and selling it for 4k would be the simplest solution to this. And it would have the old keyboard, killing two birds with one stone. Apple don't have a problem selling antiquated models (Mini, Air, etc) and there's clearly a market for it.
    I would happily buy that.
    It's happening. It was reported a while ago that Apple is dropping Intel and producing their own Mac chips starting 2020.
    There's a big difference between making chips for a phone, and making desktop/laptop chips, I'm not saying it won't happen, but 2020 sounds too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm sorry, but that's wishful thinking.
    This chip has thermal throttling issues in other thin-and-light devices; this is a MECHANICAL design/engineering failure.
    The MBP simply cannot vent its heat fast enough, so it throttles early & hard.

No OS update can fix that.

Disaster averted it seems. Apple are pushing out a fix now, said it was a bug in the firmware.
    Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we've identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro.

A bug fix is included in today's macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems.

It has still to be tested, but this would seem to match up with a post by user on the MR forums yesterday which explained how with some Terminal tweaks he was able to increase performance by 20 percent, though he acknowledged that the chip would be capable of even better if not for the small heat sink, etc.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's wishful thinking.
    This chip has thermal throttling issues in other thin-and-light devices; this is a MECHANICAL design/engineering failure.
    The MBP simply cannot vent its heat fast enough, so it throttles early & hard.

No OS update can fix that.

I learned a long time ago not to underestimate what they can do with software.

I'm still happy I went with the 2.6 though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rulmeq wrote: »
    I learned a long time ago not to underestimate what they can do with software.

I'm still happy I went with the 2.6 though :D

Still throttles under sustained CPU+GPU load

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/re-testing-the-macbook-pro-apples-firmware-update-led-to-a-big-improvement/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 paulmcn81

mine struggles when doing any kind of video work at all, better with one of the round pro units as I have one of these and gives no hassle what so ever. Pricey but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

paulmcn81 wrote: »
    mine struggles when doing any kind of video work at all, better with one of the round pro units as I have one of these and gives no hassle what so ever. Pricey but well worth it.

The Mac from 2013?

Advertisement