Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xiaomi mi max 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Another update from Frankie:

Made it to day 4 of normal use without charging, says it's the best battery he's ever seen in a device. That IR blaster is a nice plus aswell, never even occurred to me to use a phone to control the tv before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

but it won't sit comfortable in my Chino's .

Seems a switch to cargo pants would be necessary.

No NFC would likely be a killer for anybody that has become accustomed to it thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I never thought I'd have a use for nfc but one you've topped up a leap card with it, it's invaluable. This would have been a no-brainer purchase otherwise, pity.

People always say that about NFC but I just dont get it, I had the Oneplus for ages before I even realised it was a feature then never used it once in 3-4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thargor wrote: »
    People always say that about NFC but I just dont get it, I had the Oneplus for ages before I even realised it was a feature then never used it once in 3-4 years.

Pretty simple: if you don't use leap card and you're not using Google pay, then it's a totally useless thing. As soon as you do, it's indispensable. I'd be stuck without it now.

Pretty simple: if you don't use leap card and you're not using Google pay, then it's a totally useless thing. As soon as you do, it's indispensable. I'd be stuck without it now.
    Going off topic but does it work in Aldi and the like? You can just tap the phone off the reader to pay? Does it work everywhere? I suppose that would be handy but Id feel naked going out the door without a wallet so I always have my cards anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Going off topic but does it work in Aldi and the like? You can just tap the phone off the reader to pay? Does it work everywhere?

I've never had it not work for me. I use it in Aldi. I like the feeling that I can head out with only my phone if I want to and I can still buy things.

I like how quick it is. There's no lag in presenting it to the unit.

Hmmm, this doesn't affect me because I pirate everything and have never had a Netflix account but anyone hoping to use the huge screen for watching Netflix etc might want to look into this:
    Yes. It's a DRM thing. Since max 3 and many other xiaomi doesn't have widewine L1 certification (they ship with L3), you can't stream in HD for Netflix, Amazon etc and are stuck with 480p. Content providers like Netflix will send your device encrypted data and this is decrypted within a special chip in the processor which nothing else can access. If a phone supports this, it's called widewine L1. Manufacturers are supposed to code some additional software and get it certified (this certification is free) but some being cheap skip this because of added development costs. You can enable this by taking the phone back to the manufacturers service center and they'll unlock it with a special computer (this is what oneplus did) but xiaomi has never done this

As to what phones have it varies even among the same phones in different countries. Like one of the Samsung galaxy has L1 on the Canadian version but L3 in the US version. Sadly This is something which no reviewer talks about

What's more stupid is pirates have easily gotten 1080p rips and this has done nothing to stop them. It's the consumers who keep getting fcuked in the end
    Thats a bit of a shocker tbh, like he says and just like pc game piracy the pirates dont give a sh1t and its the fools who legitimately pay for things that get shafted, why do companies do this? Might be worth adding that quote to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i'd love to see a side by side size comparison with a 6.2" s8+ or s9+

Here you go but camera comparisons may not be accurate , Best check it against the one you intend to purchase :
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=8963&idPhone2=8161&idPhone3=8966

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Surely this is too big for the pocket! Anyone use one of these? They look brilliant but I'd be hesitant due to the size of it.

Surely this is too big for the pocket! Anyone use one of these? They look brilliant but I'd be hesitant due to the size of it.
    Same footprint as the Mi Max 2 that everyone who bought one in that Bargain Alerts thread was raving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Thargor wrote:
    Same footprint as the Mi Max 2 that everyone who bought one in that Bargain Alerts thread was raving about.

I'm assuming you've used the Mi Max 2 then. How did you go with it? Is it practical for everyday use?

Really like the look of it. Battery is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

She said the same

She said the same

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote:

I'm assuming you've used the Mi Max 2 then. How did you go with it? Is it practical for everyday use?

Really like the look of it. Battery is insane.
    I have one since they came out(2) good phone, great screen,but could be brighter in daylight, other than that no day to day probs

Camera seems pretty damn good to me:

Camera seems pretty damn good to me:

Old camera average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

just seen frankies follow up nighttime camera review....that was the video i was waiting for....unfortunately its terrible...like terrible...in low light.
    making me rethink purchasing, which is a shame, everything else looks so good

https://youtu.be/1kVQ7azs1Vg

Yeah definitely some updates needed there, they'll be coming though, image stabilisation is currently greyed out in the options, he should have tried Opencamera aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

A follow up video from Chris and he is still happy with it so far. I will definitely get this when they release the blue version 128GB version

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Is there any difference between the mi max 2 screen and mi max 3? Is there any improvement?

restive wrote: »
    Is there any difference between the mi max 2 screen and mi max 3? Is there any improvement?
    Definitely a big improvement according to the early reviews, in size/spec and brightness/angles, it would have been suicide for them to keep the same screen, side by side comparison:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8582&idPhone2=8963

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

[Currently] HK Goldway's global rom for Max 3 is NOT official

Strange, I sent them a query and they said it was.

If ordering ask for a sealed box with Chinese rom.

corkie wrote: »

I got a message back from Chris who did the review above and the place he got it from said it was an official rom and not a shop rom and it will update ota. He bought it from Trading Shenzan.

Looks like they were just lying then. I see they already have TWRP recovery working over on XDA forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Is 330ish including delivery the price ppl would expect the official global Rom versions to come in at? I've a mi max 2 and 1 I could offload but spec wise it doesn't seem much better. I don't care about cameras.

You'll get it for around 300 if you want to wait for the slow boat from China (and risk customs), the extra 30 is for DHL. I think you'll be waiting a few weeks /months for anything cheaper but who knows with Chinese companies.

Ah fcuk it anyway:
    Dear friend
    Good day!
    Thank you for placing the order in our store!
    we have opened and flashed global rom for you
    We are contacting you regarding the stock of Max 3 128GB. Xiaomi manufacturer delayed the production.
    We expect that the stock will arrive in 2 weeks. Could you please be patient and wait about 2 more weeks? Don't worry! We are the Xiaomi's authorized agent. The stock will arriver earlier than other sellers. We will give priority to your order once it arrives.
    We will add a Mi Band 3 as compensation for the long wait.
    We apologize for the inconvenience caused!
    Looking forward to your response!
    Kind Regards
    Mi Global Store After-sale Manager
    Yara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Ah fcuk it anyway:

I wonder if the delay is due to xiaomi locking the bootloader, so they can't flash the global ROMs so quickly any more?

• Advertisement

Ah fcuk it anyway:
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    I wonder if the delay is due to xiaomi locking the bootloader, so they can't flash the global ROMs so quickly any more?

o98k97yvshd11.png

Posted here on reddit of some aliexpress seller unlocking and relocking the bootloader.

Don't know what device/seller.

we have opened and flashed global rom for you

How can they have done that, if they have yet to receive the product?

o98k97yvshd11.png

Posted here on reddit of some aliexpress seller unlocking and relocking the bootloader.

Don't know what device/seller.

How can they have done that, if they have yet to receive the product?

Yeah saw that according to the comments they short two points on the board to unlock the boot loader and flash the image. I want a sealed Chinese edition or the global when it's released to the Indian market.

Xaoimi will unlock the bootloader for you themselves they just make you jump through some hoops like wait 60 days etc.

Goid daty to you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Just bought one today from Honorbuy

anyone know of any decent cases? (something rugged like Otterbox)

squawker wrote: »
    Just bought one today from Honorbuy

anyone know of any decent cases? (something rugged like Otterbox)
    What version did you buy?

Also interested in a case but I think we'll be waiting a while, something with a built in stand that pops out would be ideal.

What version did you buy?

Also interested in a case but I think we'll be waiting a while, something with a discrete built in stand that pops out would be ideal.

this one

https://www.honorbuy.com/1472-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-smartphone-black.html

used coupon "87GAJ2FQ" for €5 off at checkout, so total price was €280.49 inc delivery

I just couldn't wait for the 6gig version or the global rom, need a phone asap

this one

https://www.honorbuy.com/1472-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-smartphone-black.html

used coupon "87GAJ2FQ" for €5 off at checkout, so total price was €280.49 inc delivery

I just couldn't wait for the 6gig version or the global rom, need a phone asap
    Ill go mad if they delay the 6GB version again. I dont think you have much to worry about, all the reviews are of the 4/64 version and they all love it.

all the reviews are of the 4/64 version and they all love it.

aye saw a few youtube reviews before purchase

phone should be here tomorrow so will post my initial experience for anyone thats interested

• Advertisement

how long does it take to get the poxy bootloader unlocked? do you still receive a txt message?

how long does it take to get the poxy bootloader unlocked? do you still receive a txt message?

No longer required to request permission.

But on new devices there is an 360 Hours(15 Days) wait in the process once you register your device. No way around that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader
    You will only be able to unlock if it's been more than 72 hours that you successfully added your account and device.

The waiting time on the Redmi 5 series and newer models is 360 hours. Currently there's no known way to bypass the waiting time.

You can only unlock on Official roms, so check your device that you don't have a Vendor/Reseller rom.

Reports of some sellers using them as global rom has yet to be released.

IMPORTANT NEWS About Mi Max 3 Global Rom | Global 9.6.4.0.OEDMIFD IS FAKE

But on new devices there is an 360 Hours(15 Days) wait in the process once you register your device. No way around that.

Jasus, that's what I feared got that 360hr countdown on the "Mi Unlock" app

I am okay regarding the Fake Rom, updated mine over OTA to 9.6.9.0

Jasus, that's what I feared got that 360hr countdown on the "Mi Unlock" app

I am okay regarding the Fake Rom, updated mine over OTA to 9.6.9.0
    So you got the fake rom but it updated anyway? Or yours was the official Chinese ROM?

Oh yeah and hows the phone btw? :D

So you got the fake rom but it updated anyway? Or yours was the official Chinese ROM?

it was on the official Chinese Rom out of the box and updated to the latest when I turned the phone on

Phone is great for the price, no major issues apart from a few little niggly problems like getting my contacts synced from google and Whatsapp sometimes coming up with two notifications for the same message

I will play around with again tonight but really looking forward to unlocking the bootloader and installing the Xiaomi.eu Weekly MIUI 10

• Advertisement

Well the 2 weeks is up and still no sign of it.

Came second place in Gizchinas best phones under €500 for this month though:

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/08/16/top-5-chinese-smartphones-for-under-500-august-2018/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Is it a case of wait until official release date in Hong Kong etc until they'd be able to be bought on honorbuy etc

ronano wrote: »
    Is it a case of wait until official release date in Hong Kong etc until they'd be able to be bought on honorbuy etc

Released in Hong Kong on 23rd of August and in Thailand on the 24th these will have the official global rom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement