Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xiaomi mi max 3

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was used to it after one day at work tbh. Need to put a case on it though, its too slippy.

Dont forget to check out the Pocofone either, its looking very promising.

Haha, just opened the Mi Remote app, it asked me what kind of device I wanted to set up, I said tv, it asked what type, I said Samsung. It turned the volume up and down then opened the menu on the tv, asked me if the volume had gone up and down and the menu opened, I said yes and it put a shortcut called Living Room tv on my desktop, now the phone controls the tv :D

TETyGe6.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ check the permissions that app requires - is it not the one Corkie reported basically wanted your mother's maiden name?

edit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107789149&postcount=42

Meh, I blocked all its permissions anyway, plus its a Xiaomi phone running MIUI so if they want your data they probably already have it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

how are you getting on Thargor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

and hows the camera ?

squawker wrote: »
    how are you getting on Thargor?
    Absolutely loving it, genuinely cant fault it apart from needing a case to reduce the slipperiness, apart from that there isnt a single thing about it that annoys me in any way.

Do you notice it doesn't get warm at all no matter what you do to it? That should be good for keeping the ridiculous battery healthy. Im getting 2 days of life out of it, Ill easily stretch that to 3 when I stop playing with it every minute of the day.

I just cant get on with MIUI without the Nova launcher laid over the top though, no app drawer and no tray of most frequently used down the bottom of every screen was driving me nuts.

I know I keep saying Im coming from a 4 year old phone so Im easily impressed but nothing about this seems less than a flagship to me, you could stick a Samsung logo on it and charge a grand for it, the metal body and the weight fives it such a premium feel, instant game loading, PUBG on max etc. Anyone you show it to is completely amazed by it and wants to play with it, the screen is actually jaw-dropping, I wanted a big phone for reading comics on and this didn't disappoint, sometimes the images, coulors and text are so crisp its distracting, same for HD Youtube, games etc.

Did I mention Im happy with it? :D
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    and hows the camera ?
    Im going to give it a full workout tomorrow on a hike, havent had a chance to play with it properly yet. A guy at work was comparing it with the portrait mode on his iPhone X yesterday though and there was nothing in it, might even lean towards the Mi Max 3 in a blind test.

One little niggle actually is the data reception in weak areas is bad, as in if it drops to 3G you're going to be struggling to load a webpage, H+ is slow aswell. On LTE it loads web pages faster than Chrome on my gaming pc on Virgins best BB package, lightning fast. This only happens in one place though which just happens to be where I work which is kind of annoying, literally anywhere else its 100% 4G all the time, theres built in signal statistics with the battery stats, Dublin down to Galway all perfect 4G all day then the minute I go to work it starts dropping, same thing happens to Samsungs and iPhones in that place though. I told it to stay on LTE only with *#*'4636#*#* and that fixed it. 3 has always been a bit of a nightmare in Bray on any phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Does it play hd netflix? Most of the xiaomi's don't it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Appreciate the posts Thargor!

A few pics from a walk up Bray Head today, default settings in the stock app, light was okay, haven't played around with anything yet, HDR and AI assistant were on and I changed aspect ratio to 16:9 from 4:3. I wanted to get some nice nature shots but I forgot the cliff walk had recently been incinerated!

Not sure if Google Images rehosted on Imgur is the best way to show off the quality but it'll give you an idea. The best place for viewing your photos by far is on the screen itself, everything looks stunning on it, and you can zoom in for a fairly impressive amount of detail:

FhPEppq.jpg

RFVYy63.jpg

eLN2k2s.jpg

Zdu8HQ0.jpg

4DGwkHN.jpg

cJJkf6W.jpg

JZrNzqj.jpg

epaGJmO.jpg

EWp8aou.jpg

qNuTnVK.jpg

UoQHzOy.jpg

jvZrjVD.jpg

kdrS0vg.jpg

oGdWVEa.jpg

NlK1Afp.jpg

At first it felt a bit unwieldy for photography, especially compared to the OneplusOne which let you draw a circle on the screen when the phone is off to unlock straight into the camera, great feature, I was really missing it here but by the end of my walk a combination of fingerprint/face unlock (face unlock and the fingerprint reader are absolutely instant on Mi Max 3, the best Ive ever seen) and the swipe for camera shortcut on the lockscreen meant its actually easier to get it into your hand and snap a pic than other phones Ive had.

Im pleased anyway, I will be installing the Google Camera Mod soon though, people on XDA are saying its a major camera upgrade.

Thargor wrote: »

Im pleased anyway, I will be installing the Google Camera Mod soon though, people on XDA are saying its a major camera upgrade.

can you do that with this phone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Does it play hd netflix? Most of the xiaomi's don't it appears.

No it doesn't, it's not L1 certified

Double balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I don't think the phone that ticks every box has been invented yet.

No. I'd settle for one that ticks most of them though! Still faking back to the a7....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭greenore

Geekbuying.com are claiming to have stock of mi max 3 with official global rom? What you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

greenore wrote: »
    Geekbuying.com are claiming to have stock of mi max 3 with official global rom? What you guys think?

Had a look but don't see euro warehouse shipping... The crowd below looks like they have
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html?search_query=Mi+Max+3&results=774

• Advertisement

Oh wow I flashed the latest xaoimi.eu rom last night and all my reception issues at work evaporated! Posting this over H+ in an office where a lot of people have to step outside to make a voice call.

Just ordered the Global version from honorbuy, now just need a case, any recommendations lads?

Just ordered the Global version from honorbuy, now just need a case, any recommendations lads?
    Got a link to what you actually bought? If its the fake global vendor rom I would seriously reconsider.

Thargor wrote:
    Got a link to what you actually bought? If its the fake global vendor rom I would seriously reconsider.

https: //www. honorbuy.com /1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html?search_query=Mi+max+3&results=774

- Mi Max 3 supports only English and Chinese now.
    It says it only supports English and Chinese in the description, so probably the Chinese ROM, you'll be able to flash the Global ROM when it does appear though, or cancel your order and buy from somewhere else, according to XDA the global ROM is starting to appear now.

Im on the Xiaomi.eu ROM and Im going to stick with it, it has battery/memory optimization and a lot of other stuff, you lose OTA updates though.

Anyone know what the version number is for the global rom? So I know what I have when it arrives?

I'll get you some links when I'm at home on desktop but I doubt you have the official Global ROM on that device, it was barely released in the last couple of days. You need to be very careful before you do anything to fix it (fake global vendor rom has terrible reception so you will need to flash). Anti rollback is in effect on xaoimi devices now so you need to watch it or you'll brick the device. Make an account over on XDA Developers and read the threads.

Above post is same link I purchased from, I am aware of anti roll back issues, be interesting when it arrives which will be Monday according to DHL

• Advertisement

Honorbuy are legit, bought loads of phones from them

It will be on the official EU rom

https://www.honorbuy.com/blog/2018/09/05/xiaomi-mi-max-3-global-version-unboxing-hands-on/

squawker wrote: »
    Honorbuy are legit, bought loads of phones from them

It will be on the official EU rom

https://www.honorbuy.com/blog/2018/09/05/xiaomi-mi-max-3-global-version-unboxing-hands-on/
    I hope so but the vendors seem to have lost their minds a bit with this fake ROM, even the Mi Global Store on Alliexpress was pushing it, its not just a bad ROM, its brutal, bad partitions that can only be fixed by flashing the original Chinese ROM first, terrible reception etc. The URL he posted says its the Global version so why would it arrive with the .eu ROM on it?

Global version so why would it arrive with the .eu ROM on it?

I meant Global Version :o

like you I am using the Xiaomi.eu Weekly, don't think I will change off it for the foreseeable future

Just to update phone has arrived, it's running official global rom 9.6.7.0

Now the long 360hr wait to unlock the bootloader ;)

Thats great news, the fake one sounds like a bit of a pain to fix. How are you finding it?

I just got this case in the post today and I love it, never use cases but I had to do something about the slippiness in the hand and the camera bump that I hated leaving down flat on a table in case it scratched:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Various-Smart-Phones-Hybrid-Shockproof-Plating-Case-Silicone-Cover/142907340731?hash=item2145f0f7bb:m:mkMzb1VrzQQIwo13EoE4yTQ

Fixes all those issues and actually makes the phone look better imo which is a rare thing for cheap plastic cases. Very happy with them, cant decide which look better Red or Black, Im leaning towards the black one, Im already more relaxed about handling the beast with it, throw it down on a table, stick it in a pocket etc.

• Advertisement

Thats great news, the fake one sounds like a bit of a pain to fix. How are you finding it?

I just got this case in the post today and I love it, never use cases but I had to do something about the slippiness in the hand and the camera bump that I hated leaving down flat on a table in case it scratched:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Various-Smart-Phones-Hybrid-Shockproof-Plating-Case-Silicone-Cover/142907340731?hash=item2145f0f7bb:m:mkMzb1VrzQQIwo13EoE4yTQ

Fixes all those issues and actually makes the phone look better imo which is a rare thing for cheap plastic cases. Very happy with them, cant decide which look better Red or Black, Im leaning towards the black one, Im already more relaxed about handling the beast with it, throw it down on a table, stick it in a pocket etc.

Great bit of kit alright, spent all day yesterday setting it up and getting all my apps installed, coming from a Mi Max 1 can notice battery life superb, got a similar cover as i read up about slipperiness lol

As you say now the long wait for bootloader to be unlocked lol

had my eye off the ball with all things mi max 3 over the past month...so i have some questions ...apologies if all these already covered...

1. is there now an official proper global version ?...is it on honorbuy and how much is it ?

2. the low light camera performance has me pausing on it...some youtube reviews shows it to be ok...but frankietechs video showed it to be awful...but maybe global version is different...i'd like to hear from those of you with the phone.

3. i have a samsung s8+....but i am a sucker for big phones, bigger the better... i got my son the redmi note 5 and 2 trivial things i am jealous of, double tap to wake and fm radio (which i would use) i presume the mi max 3 is same. ....but i would miss the reassurance of samsungs water resistance as i do walk in rain a lot (i'm a postman)
    so...my question i suppose is, would going from s8+ to mi max 3 seem like a good upgrade screen size wise ?...i do really like the redmi note 5 screen btw.

thanks in advance for any replies.

had my eye off the ball with all things mi max 3 over the past month...so i have some questions ...apologies if all these already covered...

1. is there now an official proper global version ?...is it on honorbuy and how much is it ?

2. the low light camera performance has me pausing on it...some youtube reviews shows it to be ok...but frankietechs video showed it to be awful...but maybe global version is different...i'd like to hear from those of you with the phone.

3. i have a samsung s8+....but i am a sucker for big phones, bigger the better... i got my son the redmi note 5 and 2 trivial things i am jealous of, double tap to wake and fm radio (which i would use) i presume the mi max 3 is same. ....but i would miss the reassurance of samsungs water resistance as i do walk in rain a lot (i'm a postman)
    so...my question i suppose is, would going from s8+ to mi max 3 seem like a good upgrade screen size wise ?...i do really like the redmi note 5 screen btw.

thanks in advance for any replies.
    -Official Global version is shipping now, someone in this thread already got it a while back, haven't heard anything bad said about it, Im sticking with the .EU Rom though, cant fault it. Confirm with the vendor its not the fake Global ROM before you buy.

-Low light performance is fine, I honestly cant replicate what Frankietech was reporting, Id say it was a software issue with the early releases or Chinese ROM and other people say Opencamera or Google camera is a massive improvement but I dont notice anything and just use the stock camera app, its a good camera indoors and in low light, its a great camera outdoors in good light.

-FM Radio is there, its fine, refuses to work without headphones, hopping between preset stations is instant, reception seems strong, no complaints. Another feature it has is the IR blaster on the top, install a remote app and control your tvs/entertainment centers etc, pretty handy.

-Double Tap to wake is there, no other off screen functions that I can see, still miss drawing a circle on the off screen to unlock straight into camera that my Oneplus did, that was so handy. You wont be using double tap to wake anyway, the fingerprint and face unlock performance is amazing, you'll never go back to double tap and swiping, it could not be any more instant, the nanosecond it detects your finger or face its unlocked and showing the desktop. Its so fast I was suspicious of it so I got others to try it but it seems secure, including against my brother who could pass for my twin.

-I really dont know how much of an upgrade over the S8+ it is though, S8+ is still a beast and a great looking screen. I mean the screen on the Mi Max 3 is amazing and so is the camera to me coming from a Oneplus One but Samsung screens and cameras are about as good as it gets, my brother is still on a Samsung Note 5 from 2015 and the pics he takes are indistinguishable from 2018 phones and better than most to my eye, Samsung are the king for a reason. Not having to charge for 2 days could be handy to a postman though. I dont know if waterproofing is that big a deal, Ive never had a waterproof phone and I cycle in the Wicklow mountains getting completely soaked a lot, never had an issue with any phone.

Heres Frankietech praising the night time performance on the Max 3 vs the Honor 8X Max (7.12" screen!) now, maybe the Chinese ROM he's using got an upgrade, like I said I cant find an issue with it in low light, but then again someone who's used to Samsung or iPhone cameras might see a difference straight away:

whats difference between global and eu rom ?

• Advertisement

I honestly dont know, I just saw that people on XDA were happy with it, its a Xiaomi MIUI rom though so expect some bloatware, you are still allowed uninstall it all straight out of the box though, Ive seen plenty of Youtube reviews do that, and MIUI is actually a great OS, Im always finding handy little features and settings that it will be hard to lose if I go back to stock Android, getting rid of the back and home buttons in favour of edge swiping should be a standard option on all Androids, its great. The .eu rom is nearly identical and has been popular on various MI phones for a long time now, its optimized for RAM and battery usage (apparently) and a lot of other tweaks, full list here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max-3/development/rom-xiaomi-eu-miui-10-mi-max-3-t3825680

Downside is that it is an unofficial ROM so no automatic OTA updates, if you want to update it you have to do it manually (updates released weekly), so unlocking the bootloader, dragging the update .zip over, boot into recovery mode, wipe cache, flash the update, wipe cache, reboot. I dont bother unless I hear something big like the improved modem performance it got the other day (great reception on this phone btw, it was pretty weak when it first came if you were in a marginal area but rock solid now).

Its good to be able to flash ROMs on phones like this, when the real custom ROMs get started Im hoping for 3-4 days of battery life, I dont see how they'll improve the speed of anything else though, its lightening fast as it is. Xiaomi have started adding anti-rollback protection now though so you have to be very careful not to brick the phone if you wander away from the official ROM.

ok. i am finally ready to order this next week.....but confused with all the previous fake global versions....could some friendly person link me to a genuine proper global one please....i see one on honorbuy, but not sure how genuine it is...i like ordering from honorbuy via the eu warehouses, very fast delivery..

https://www.honorbuy.com/1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

also, is there a 6gb/128gb global version ?

anyone use tempered glass on theirs here ?

so...got this phone now...global version.... 4gb ram / 64gb .
    got it from honorbuy. took 2 days to arrive...from italy !! :)

my total cost inc dhl express, a cheap clear cover and cheap tempered glass...was just shy of 300 euros.

typical of me, i don't think i'll keep it now....i underestimated just how big it would be....my current phone is 6.2" and i didnt expect the difference to be so much...it really is huge for a phone...too big for me.
    also, camera is ok, but low light middling, and panaroma not good in any light.

so...i might hang on and keep it as a spare to play with.....but if anyone here is thinking about getting this, and wants to make me an offer, it wont have been used much (only had it two days and wont be using it as primary device).

i'm in sligo...and can send photos...hook up on facebook or whatever if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

so...got this phone now...global version.... 4gb ram / 64gb .
    got it from honorbuy. took 2 days to arrive...from italy !! :)

my total cost inc dhl express, a cheap clear cover and cheap tempered glass...was just shy of 300 euros.

typical of me, i don't think i'll keep it now....i underestimated just how big it would be....my current phone is 6.2" and i didnt expect the difference to be so much...it really is huge for a phone...too big for me.
    also, camera is ok, but low light middling, and panaroma not good in any light.

so...i might hang on and keep it as a spare to play with.....but if anyone here is thinking about getting this, and wants to make me an offer, it wont have been used much (only had it two days and wont be using it as primary device).

i'm in sligo...and can send photos...hook up on facebook or whatever if needed.

If you still have it next Thursday I'd be interested.

If you still have it next Thursday I'd be interested.

ok. i wont be using much between now and then, if at all...although it is a good phone..just that bit too big to be practical for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ok. i wont be using much between now and then, if at all...although it is a good phone..just that bit too big to be practical for me.

I have the mi max 2 at the moment so used to the size. I don't even notice it anymore, I just know I could never go back to a non-phablet phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Has anyone been able to remove the white background from the icons?

Yeah theres options somewhere to change their shape, install icon packs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Are you looking for a case for a Xiaomi Mi Max 3? I have a second, sealed in the box.

Details here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Armo...932406282.html
    €3.30

If you're interested let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Can anyone tell me the difference between this and the global version please
    The global version is out of stock for a while seemingly :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement