Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Grass This Week?

Options
  • 19-07-2018 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We bought a house recently and the garden was completely overgrown. We had a gardener level the whole thing at the end of June and lay out fresh top soil. The plan is/was to roll out fresh grass but we held off due to the heatwave and hose ban etc.

My gardener has been on this week suggesting that we lay it this weekend as the weather is not as hot as it was and he feels it would be fine for the grass. I'm worried that with the water restrictions still in place and a lack of rain due, the grass would struggle to bed in properly?

Any thoughts on this one? I'm a total garden novice. Obviously if there was a way to make it work I'd go for it as the top soil doesn't look great and I want grass down to let the baby play on etc.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t have any personal experience, but we’re waiting on someone to put down a lawn for us too, and I’ve been advised to wait until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

breeno wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We bought a house recently and the garden was completely overgrown. We had a gardener level the whole thing at the end of June and lay out fresh top soil. The plan is/was to roll out fresh grass but we held off due to the heatwave and hose ban etc.

My gardener has been on this week suggesting that we lay it this weekend as the weather is not as hot as it was and he feels it would be fine for the grass. I'm worried that with the water restrictions still in place and a lack of rain due, the grass would struggle to bed in properly?

Any thoughts on this one? I'm a total garden novice. Obviously if there was a way to make it work I'd go for it as the top soil doesn't look great and I want grass down to let the baby play on etc.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Will he care for it until it’s established??

What is the story on water, are you in a hosepipe ban area ??

While there is “some” moisture in the forecast it’s not ideal time to be sowing grass or rolling out lawn rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

breeno wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Appreciate any thoughts.
    find a new gardener may be a start, if you have not had rain yet (in some west counties it has rained). It's always recommended that you water and don't walk on new layer turf, otherwise you may end up having to patch in areas which dont bed in properly and will die off.
    Go out with a spade and dig a out a few holes and check where the soil is changing from dry to moist. If its not moist the whole way down due to recent rainfall IMO you are wasting your money unless you are watering it in.

Go to a builder providers or garden centre and buy a tarp or better still some weed barrier put this out as a base and put a blanket or quilt down for the baby until the weather disimproves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Agree you need a gardener and not the earth moving person who is claiming to be a gardener. I would wait till the soil gets a very good soaking which will filter down rather than run off. even with a hose pipe you would need to water constantly to keep new grass now. Wait till the rain comes and then get the lawn laid.
    Be careful of baby in the garden as there are lots of ants about these days. Weed barrier or an old quilt are excellent ideas. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Thanks for the replies guys. I've told him to hold off for another month or so and hopefully conditions will be a bit more suitable at that stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement