Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 11 – Hockenheim

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Anyone else get the sense that Kimi isn't in a particularly co-operative mood this season?

It's almost as if he knows his contract won't be renewed for next year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone else get the sense that Kimi isn't in a particularly co-operative mood this season?

I just think he's the most monotone man in the world... he would have fitted into father ted brilliantly with the boring priest... I did agree with his approach yesterday on the radio... team should have been explicit and said pull over.. dancing around the issue was a joke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

dancing around the issue was a joke..

bwaohtheyneedtobecleaerontheradio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

josip wrote: »
    Sometimes the best drives don't translate to on screen dramatics.
    Andrew Benson thinks it was the way he was able to preserve his tyres while still moving through the field in the first half of the race.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44918753

An Andrew Benson article about Hamilton? No, thanks.

An Andrew Benson article about Hamilton? No, thanks.

British media notwithstanding, I think the point about going so long on the softs is valid, all the while making up several places. He went beyond what Pirelli advised was the limit, and it paid off in the end. It was a really good drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Inviere wrote: »
    British media notwithstanding, I think the point about going so long on the softs is valid, all the while making up several places. He went beyond what Pirelli advised was the limit, and it paid off in the end. It was a really good drive

I think the radio silence (weather that was on his side or the broadcasters side) also helped things go a little unnoticed in relation to his progress and preserving the tires.

His first stint was incredible, and then his ultra-soft run before the chaos was equally great, he made up so much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Inviere wrote: »

Not British media, Benson. He's in a whole league of his own.

It was an excellent drive, wouldn't consider it one of his best though, let alone one of the best ever.

It was an excellent drive, wouldn't consider it one of his best though, let alone one of the best ever.

Not sure I'd go as far as to say one of the best ever now, but one of Hamilton's best? Possibly yes, as it took the entire modern skillset required in F1 racing; passing, tire management, managing gaps, wet/damp driving on dry tires...it was a hell of a drive to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Predictions:
    Hamilton strikes back - Oh yeah - 1
    Kimi outperforming Vettel - He did :D - 1
    Both Haas in the points - Nearly did it
    Leclerc too - Made some nice pirouettes - so close - 0

2/4 again

I think from here, short of reliability issues, Vettel begins to run away with the championship. - Driver errors count too?

Vettel and Hulkenberg to pull off a stunning German 1-2 in Qualifying to atone for the football team, only for Vettel to take them both out in the first corner. - Both qualified well but had no chance to collide

Bottas will get his first win of the season this weekend. - Was a close call

Vettel to win with Kimi in second. Go Ferrari go Vettel. - The technical german word is "Vervettelt"

Harika wrote: »
    I think from here, short of reliability issues, Vettel begins to run away with the championship.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Kimi is being Kimi. What people don't get, and haven't gotten since he came back to Ferrari, is that he is NOT a designed #2. He's not Barrichello or Irvine, his contract doesn't really say "you will get out of the way", so it's only natural that he is a bit miffed when he's asked to do so. Same happened last year in Budapest - he should have won that race, but with Vettel's steering issue it would have meant Seb'd drop down the field if Kimi went ahead.

For some reason, he hasn't totally found his footing with the post-2014 cars; While the pace is definitely there, he seems to always go backwards during the race and get "lost" compared to Vettel. This obviously puts him into a weak position.

At some point you need to feel sorry for the engineer, like at the end all his energy is going away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Kind of unbelievable that McLaren went to inters so early. Fair enough if Alonso made the call but it seems they didn't even ask him what conditions were like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Only got to see the Channel 4 highlights today. Have to say I thought the race was very boring until the last 10 laps then it got exciting.
    I think Lewis should have got a 5 second penalty but its done now anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Tech review from Hockenheim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Saw a thing on Facebook (must be true) that lap 49 in Germany was the first time that all available tyre compounds were on track at the one time.

Didn't check but sounds true

Advertisement