Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 11 – Hockenheim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

10 second time penalty for Sainz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Will Hamilton get penalty for that I wonder. Maybe confusion about which Mercedes was being called in

Has to. Absolutely has to. Passed the bollard for the entry to pit lane, then deliberately drove off the track to go back onto the main circuit.

If that's not a 27.3 violation, I don't know what is. If you tried to do that in NASCAR or IndyCar you'd be slapped with a penalty so fast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    If positions were reversed they would be told the same for this race.

Mercedes need a 1-2. The whole Mercedes higher ups are there for this race.

I still hate team orders. Ferrari's team order was worse, telling a driver to let the car behind overtake is worse than telling the car behind to hold position in my eyes.

Ferrari more telling Kimi not to hold up Seb, who was clearly faster...that is proper team orders...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

TheChrisD wrote: »
    If you tried to do that in NASCAR or IndyCar you'd be slapped with a penalty so fast...

Which is completely irrelevant as this is Formula 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has to. Absolutely has to. Passed the bollard for the entry to pit lane, then deliberately drove off the track to go back onto the main circuit.

If that's not a 27.3 violation, I don't know what is. If you tried to do that in NASCAR or IndyCar you'd be slapped with a penalty so fast...
    Not even under investigation. If it was to be investigated, it'd would be by now.

• Advertisement

I don't anything in 27.3 that he violated tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Would have gone with a "Go **** yourself James" there myself. :P

Rosberg would have too.

What a comeback win, and what a 1-2 Merc result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What a drive from the Champ!!! Legend

I don't anything in 27.3 that he violated tbh.

Deliberately left the track to avoid having to drive through the pit lane, and thus gained the advantage of not having to drive at pit-lane speed. Cut and dry to me.
    27.3 wrote:
    Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason.

Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

• Advertisement

Did Lewis pit the same number times as Botas and Kimi?

Deliberately left the track to avoid having to drive through the pit lane, and thus gained the advantage of not having to drive at pit-lane speed. Cut and dry to me.

You have it bolded, justifiable reason. Someone makes a mistake it's justifiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

So there you go, Love won it for Hamilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Mercedes team radio Hamilton wins

walshb wrote: »
    Did Lewis pit the same number times as Botas and Kimi?

No, he 1-stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

One of the greatest drives of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Feck. Fair fups to Mercedes and Lewis, but I'd say that it's more having your rival crash out of the lead that conquers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Double points finish for Force India is nice. Shame Mercedes played team orders at the end, Bottas had fresher tyres there was a fight there

No, he 1-stopped.

Was that ultimately why he won, his one stopping and he s good tyre choice?

No, he 1-stopped.

1 and a little bit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Well, that was disappointing

You have it bolded, justifiable reason. Someone makes a mistake it's justifiable.

A justifiable reason would be a car crashed in the pit entry making it literally impossible to enter... Your engineer being indecisive is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hulkenberg, great drive.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Besides the obvious, great jobs from hulk, grosjean, force India, Ericsson and hartley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Love conquers all... Ok

Mercedes a little lucky
    Nice that the bit of rain mixed it up

TheDoctor wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage.

He didn't gain any time as it was under the safety car, he didn't overtake anybody by cutting the track. He also rejoined when it was safe to do so, ie not at racing speeds.

F1 celebrations are cringe!

Definitely not.
    walshb wrote: »
    Was that ultimately why he won, his one stopping and he s good tyre choice?
    That and luck with timing, safety car and his teammate being told not to attack.
    A justifiable reason would be a car crashed in the pit entry making it literally impossible to enter... Your engineer being indecisive is not.
    Let's see what they decide, but if out-braking yourself is justifiable then I'm sure a miscommunication is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

You're joking. Not even in the top 100. He won because of team orders and a rival that messed up. He'd have to give everyone a one lap headstart to have any win in any recent Merc to be considered a great.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lol so many tears.

At no stage did they say stay out to Hamilton, that was a complete fluke. There should be a rule about the pit lane entry and you committing to it. Once past the bollard, keep to the chosen side should be the rule.

I'm not a mod but please please PLEASE. Give over with all the Lewis gushing and bashing.

You're joking. Not even in the top 100. He won because of team orders and a rival that messed up. He'd have to give everyone a one lap headstart to have any win in any recent Merc to be considered a great.
    It was a very good drive, I don't like him but can't deny that. There was plenty of luck, somehow his tyres lasted ages (have to credit him partly for that) despite traffic and he got lucky with timing of rain and SC and there were the team orders. Too many caveats for it to be one of the great drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Lewis was praying yesterday at qualifying when his car failed and he was knelt beside it.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I'm not a mod but please please PLEASE. Give over with all the Lewis gushing and bashing.

Ok, I feel sorry for Bottas as he is the true winner today.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage.

He didn't gain any time as it was under the safety car
    He gained a load of time compared to driving through the pit lane, which is what should have happened after he committed to pit entry.

He didn't gain any time as it was under the safety car, he didn't overtake anybody by cutting the track. He also rejoined when it was safe to do so, ie not at racing speeds.

Where would he have ended up had he either continued through the pit or pulled in behind Bottas who was delayed at his stop,

That bit would explain if he got any lasting advantage or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

You gotta love Kimi. He knew exactly what they meant!

You're joking. Not even in the top 100.

Cringe, it's undeniable that he is one of the greats.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He didn't gain any time as it was under the safety car
    He gained a load of time compared to driving through the pit lane, which is what should have happened after he committed to pit entry.

Have you got the data there?

If you haven't, then you're guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Cracker of a race, although would have preferred more rain to really whip it up.

Hamilton was stellar today, just fast all around and kept the tires alive for that long stint. Vettel will be kicking himself hard for that one!

Mercedes boss to Hamilton:

mU2OxAboAp_6DkJRvDurE1CSwrw=.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

https://twitter.com/hlawiczka/status/1021045913517809664?s=20

Interestingly how many mid fielders stopped for inters

Now the rain really falls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Now it buckets down....typical

Typical, race is over and we have torrential rain

Faugheen wrote: »
    Have you got the data there?

If you haven't, then you're guessing.

No I'm not. He lost 2-3 seconds hopping across the grass. It takes 15 seconds+ to drive though the pits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Did find this post about the pit entry in interlagos
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZx1SKXCIAAhyqL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I love how simple and straight forward Force India kept the strategy, a nice clean 1 stop and let the rest go on inters and full wets (yes looking at you Toro Rosso you absolute clowns)

• Advertisement
Advertisement