Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Tour '18 stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice > Alpe d'Huez 175k

Options
  • 19-07-2018 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 12 is the last stage in the Alps, starting in Bourg-Saint-Maurice and ending on top of the Alpe d'Huez.

1910a

Profile:
    df128

The first climb is the 2000 meters tall Col de la Madeleine, a 25 kilometer long climb at a modest average gradient. The average gradient doesn't tell the whole story, since the climb is irregular, starting steep, becoming shallow, before the last two thirds of the climb, which is mostly steep at percentages of 9-10%.

Col-de-la-Madeleine-Feissons-sur-Isere-Climb-Profile.jpg

Madeleine has featured in the Tour since 1969, and some names, which have reached the summit first, are mountain goats such as six-times winner of the polka-dot and Tour winner in 1976, Lucien van Impe - seven-times polka-dot winner (a record standing to this day) Richard Virenque and two times Giro winner Gilberto Simoni.

After a descent down to La Chambre, the riders climb the beautiful Lacets de Montvernier, which featured in 2015.

0d70e
    IMG_1641_-_Version_2.0.jpg

After that little challenge, the long Col de la Croix de Fer awaits.
    fer20117.png

2067 meter above sealevel, the Pass of the Iron Cross has an average gradient of 5,2%, some parts almost flat or going slightly downhill, but with some kilometers reaching an incline of 9-10%. The climb is steepest from the 6 to the 12 kilometer mark, and the last 6 kilometers are steep as well.

If the legs (or your heart) are aching it this point, I can't help you, because the summit finish is still to come.
    Alp-de-Huez.jpg?w968h681
    Not the longest nor the steepest climb, but the many hairpin bends are easily recognizable. It is steepest in the beginning, and a section 4-5 kilometers from the finish, reaching a gradient of 11,5%, before easing at the end. It is, ladies and gents, l'Alpe d'Huez.

Alpe-dHuez-Climb-profile.jpg

The climb first featured in 1952, where Fausto Coppi won the stage featuring it, and the saying that “whoever wears the yellow jersey in the Alpe wears it in Paris” was fit to Coppi that year. This year, unlike the last couple of times,

Another notable stage winners on Alpe d’Huez are Joop Zoetemelk, winning twice there (1976 and 1979), 5 times Tour winner Bernard Hinault in 1986, the first South American GT winner, Luis Herrera, and Italian Gianni Bugno in 1990 and 1991.

In 1995 and 1997 the famous Marco Pantani, Il Pirata, set a record time of 36’40 on the Alpe d’Huez, over 3 minutes faster than Nairo Quintana's 2013 ascent.

GT-e1450556215491.jpg

A tale of the decisive role the Alpe d’Huez plays, was in 2008. Carlos Sastre attacked from the bottom in a tactical attack, since Fränk would mark Cadel Evans and counter-attack, in case the Australian would get up to him. He couldn't, and so Sastre won the stage in overwhelming fashion, 2 minutes in front of Schleck brothers, Valverde and took the yellow jersey from his team mate Fränk Schleck and minimizing the threat from Cadel Evans, expected to be strong in the time trial. Sastre won the Tour with 58 seconds down to the Australian, after managing to ride a good time trial.

In 2011 Thomas Voeckler had the maillot jaune, but after a heroic performance on Galibier, he couldn’t follow the favourites anymore. Cadel Evans hung on to the Schlecks

Cadel_Evans%2C_Andy_Schleck%2C_Peter_Velits_et_Thomas_DeGendt_%285978018220%29.jpg

with Andy taking the yellow jersey 57 seconds in front of the Australian, who eventually did rip the yellow jersey away from Andy Schleck in the penultimate stage, a long time trial, which Tony Martin won in front of Cadel and Alberto Contador.

Fast forward to 2013, the victory was again contested between the break away. That day was the first, that the superior-looking Chris Froome showed weakness, getting dropped by Joaquim Rodriguez and Colombian maillot blanc Nairo Quintana.

alpedhuez2013%233.jpg

Only losing 1 minute, Froome, but that could have been more, as Richie Porte illegally handed Froome some energy gels, at the price of a 20-second penalty. The stage was contested by Tejay Van Garderen, Moreno Moser and Christophe Riblon, winner on Ax-3 Domaines in 2010. The Frenchman won, passing Van Garderen, who looked to be on his way to victory, with some kilometers to go.

In 2015 another Frenchman crossed the finish line on the Alpe first. It was one, who was hyped up, especially by his countrymen before the Tour, but a difficult start turned him to a stage hunter: Thibaut Pinot. After messing up an almost sure victory in Mende, which Steven Cummings took, he took his revenge on the Alpe, barely making it to a furiously chasing Nairo Quintana.

WATSON_00004288-012.jpg

Will we see another ride of redemption tomorrow, or will the GC favorites contest the stage? Chris Froome has won on Zoncolan and Ventoux, but his name is still not to be found on the slopes of the Alpe. Will he destroy everyone once again and put the pretenders in their place, or will he and team SKY pay for their efforts today?

General classification after stage 11:
    1. Geraint THOMAS (SKY)
    2. Chris FROOME (SKY) + 1' 25''
    3. Tom DUMOULIN (Sunweb) + 1' 44''
    4. Vincenzo NIBALI (B. Merida) + 2' 14''
    5. Primoz ROGLIC (Lotto-NL) + 2' 23''
    6. Steven KRUIJSWIJK (Lotto-NL) + 2' 40''
    7. Mikel LANDA (Movistar) + 2' 56''
    8. Romain BARDET (AG2R) + 2 58''
    9. Nairo QUINTANA (Movistar) + 3' 16''
    10. Dan MARTIN (UAE) st.

Polka-dot jersey competition after stage 11:

1. Julian ALAPHILIPPE (QST) 61
    2. Serge PAUWELS (DDD) 49
    3. Warren BARGUIL (Fortuneo) 40
    4. Rein TAARAMÄE (Direct Energie) 36
    5. Rudy MOLARD (Gr. FDJ) 22

Points jersey competition after stage 11:

1. Peter SAGAN (Bora) 339
    2. Fernando GAVIRIA (Quickstep) 218
    3. Dylan GROENEWEGEN (NL-Jumbo) 132
    4. Alexander KRISTOFF (UAE) 129
    5. Arnaud DEMARE (G. FDJ) 106
    6. André GREIPEL (Lotto-Soudal) 106

Weather forecast for...

...Col de la Croix de Fer:
    2rpsdhi.png

...Alpe d'Huez:
    2heknxc.png

The Bookies take!

Froome 2/1
    Thomas 8/1
    Quintana 8/1
    Martin 16/1
    Barguil 20/1
    Majka 22/1
    Bardet 25/1
    Tom 25/1
    Landa 27/1
    Nieve 20/1
    Roglic 33/1

irishcornerpic1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tempted to try a bet on Rogolic as a few rumours have him attaching for the stage win today.

Love to see one of the GC contenders attack SKY early on Huez.

The Sky train is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

IS it possible that Froome is stronger now than in 2013 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

ronoc wrote: »
    Love to see one of the GC contenders attack SKY early on Huez.

The Sky train is boring.

would be great but cant see it happening. anytime in the past guys tried attacking sky just slowly ground them back in. The only GC guy I think who could pull an attack off will be Nibali. Hes been lying low all race but up there. Id prefer to see him in yellow for the rest of the race then a skybot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

No price on nibali above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

retalivity wrote: »
    No price on nibali above?

33/1, I didn't go that far down the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MPFGLB wrote: »
    IS it possible that Froome is stronger now than in 2013 ??

He is stronger, but he also knows he can win the tour with one big attack like he did in Italy. Froome will decide when that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The lacets are hilarious. The lads will hoor up it em in about 10 minutes. We had an airbnb at the top of them for 5 weeks last year so the tour will be going right by the door of that house this year!

Uran a non starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

My random winner pick. Pierre latour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

My random winner pick. Pierre latour.

Sounds very Carlton Kirbyesque

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

neris wrote: »
    Sounds very Carlton Kirbyesque

I've been foiled! :P

luvFroome4vr

Helped by the slight downhill gradient no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

taking it easy before the hills so :eek:

Poels out the back already there. Thats a surprise.

Woet Poels apparently going off the back of the peloton!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They have to keep changing the pace to stop Sky getting all their guys to the front, just as I say that Sky have three and the yellow jersey at the front

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love Alpe d'Huez. You just never know if what is going to happen on it. Really looking forward to this stage.

Uran could be a danger man today. Out of gc contention I'd imagine a big stage like this would be of interest to him.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I love Alpe d'Huez. You just never know if what is going to happen on it. Really looking forward to this stage.

Uran could be a danger man today. Out of gc contention I'd imagine a big stage like this would be of interest to him.

He's a dns

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

He didn't start unfortunately, love to see Rolland go and try for something today.

Poels and rowe dropped already, valverde and kruijswijk in the break....hmmmm

(Hopes against hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

retalivity wrote: »
    Poels and rowe dropped already, valverde and kruijswijk in the break....hmmmm

(Hopes against hope)

Poels back on the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

would love to see some proper cooperation between teams to crack the sky train..

quintanas group yesterday, stop looking at each other lads, form a plan and go together..

I know it's not that straightforward but it would be great fun to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just been told in work that we can take the rest of the day off...

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Borderfox wrote: »
    They have to keep changing the pace to stop Sky getting all their guys to the front, just as I say that Sky have three and the yellow jersey at the front

All 8 at the front now :)

Looked like Valverde was asking Rolland wft dude? Rolland keeps rolling off the front :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

**** sake, Froome on Dan, Quintana gapped :mad:

Sick for Dumoulin, come on Nieve...

nee wrote: »
    **** sake, Froome on Dan, Quintana gapped :mad:

Sick for Dumoulin, come on Nieve...

Huh?

Got my days mixed up :o In work watching yesterday's highlights and got all excited :o

• Advertisement

Things would be very interesting with Valverde and Kruijswijk up the road IF Sky didn't have all 8 riders in the peloton.

Advertisement