Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Tour '18 stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice > Alpe d'Huez 175k

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

tuxy wrote: »
    Cycling like robots has nothing to do with doping though. It's their massive budget to get the best GC contenders and domestiques that are so good they would be GC riders for any other team. Also highly calculated moves based on power meters.

Bernal could prob win it if he was on other team..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Kerry Cowboys Ted

He lost a good few minutes :(
    10th 5' 11'' down

Thank you. He needs a good few mountain days to recover that large gap now.
    No win likely for him at 5 11 down.
    I had hoped for a to 5 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fat bloke wrote: »
    How are Sky so consistently out-budgeting everybody? Dan's Arab patrons can't be short of cash to buy a fleet of botox-foreheaded super domestiques surely?

Ah but the arab lads dont understand the nuances of 'marginal gains' - they'd need to buy brailsford as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nibali is out as well, fractured vertebrae.

A real pity.

[url]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If he had a team he would be top 5. Even when he was with quick step he would occasionally get help from a domestique, this year he is pretty much a solo rider.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    How are Sky so consistently out-budgeting everybody? Dan's Arab patrons can't be short of cash to buy a fleet of botox-foreheaded super domestiques surely?

Sponsors will put the money in when they know their name will be everywhere for 3 weeks straight.

Fly emirates have advertising in so many sports I guess they decided to only put a small amount into cycling. Same with what ever king/prince has invested, probably just threw loads of money at many sports and cycling was way down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Meh. So fed up with Mr Inhaler and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Sponsors will put the money in when they know their name will be everywhere for 3 weeks straight.

Fly emirates have advertising in so many sports I guess they decided to only put a small amount into cycling. Same with what ever king/prince has invested, probably just threw loads of money at many sports and cycling was way down the list.

Sky can't be too happy though with all the booing taking place as their riders cross the line. Maybe the time will come when all the negative publicity will cause them to re-evaluate their involvement in cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sky can't be too happy though with all the booing taking place as their riders cross the line. Maybe the time will come when all the negative publicity will cause them to re-evaluate their involvement in cycling?

Perhaps but I don't think that will make Sky reconsider sponsorship. It would take a larger scandal for that.
    A big part of it is how the media spins it. Sky are trying to sell a service mainly to British people many on whom will probably consider what happened today to be jealousy on behalf of the French.

My partner asked me what I thought earlier. If Froome had won these I'd not have been all that bothered really we'd choke on it but we have for the last how many tours? Thomas though makes me think of bloody skoda and le col ads :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure what race anyone else was watching, but what I saw was a bunch of GT contenders having a bit of a slow bicycle race up the last bit of the Alpe (as evidenced by Nibali and Martin clawing back so much time) and then the best sprinter getting it on the flat section.

Proper bike racing. Not really sure how it could have been more entertaining.

Froome isn't going to win on this sort of stage without playing to his strengths, i.e. sustained super-maximal efforts when everyone is on the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm really not seeing the out of the blue aspect of Thomas tbh. He's been building towards this for a few years, since he decided to focus on stage races rather than the classics. He's won several stage races, including Paris Nice and the Dauphine.

Reading some comments you'd swear his last cycling performance was the Olympics, like the rest of his road career didn't happen. He's far more believable than his (still) team leader.

Again, tactically the race went great for him. Froome attacking meant he could sit on, well he could anyway as yellow Jersey, then bardet opened the sprint way too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

dahat wrote: »
    Nibali is out as well, fractured vertebrae.

A real pity.

[url]

Another nail in the coffin of shame for neymar.

Broken back? Who cares. Ger up that mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

He will never win the tour. He's not good enough nor lucky enough and will never have a team dedicated to him to help him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    He will never win the tour. He's not good enough nor lucky enough and will never have a team dedicated to him to help him there.
    "Not good enough" is a broad brush. Dan's weaknesses are time trialling and inability to avoid bad days.

But he makes the Tour worth watching and comes across as an all round top geezer so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lumen wrote:
    "Not good enough" is a broad brush. Dan's weaknesses are time trialling and inability to avoid bad days.
    The bad days are normally crash related, which does also come down to the team strength to a large degree.

I also don't think he has a GC mindset. He's not happy racing conservatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The bad days are normally crash related, which does also come down to the team strength to a large degree.

I also don't think he has a GC mindset. He's not happy racing conservatively.

The Tour is won by top TTers who can climb

not by climbers who can maybe on a good day not lose too much time in a TT

Indurain, LeMond, Roche, Wiggins, Froome, Evans Armstrong (well have to include him here) were all top TTers who could climb
    Contador even coudl pull it out of he bag on TTs

Dan Martin is a very poor TTer....

Dumoulin and Bernal , Roglic and even Thoma are class TTers and are possible future winners

Dan Martin can win stages , classics and stage races without much TTing

If I were him I'd try for another stage in this Tour and I would also make sure I am top for the Worlds ..a race he can win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I like Dan just the way he is. He's been one of the most proactive riders so far this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thomas though makes me think of bloody skoda and le col ads :mad:

Remember the year Wiggins won it? Where Froome dragged him up every mountain stage and then stepped aside.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Folks,
    There's a rule about doping speculation. In it's in the charter. In it's in a sticky reminding people about it. And we warned about it yesterday. You can't say you haven't been warned. I've carded a few people for it this morning and deleted several posts quoting them.

Please, please, don't say or suggest someone is doping unless it has been proven they have.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »

But he makes the Tour worth watching and comes across as an all round top geezer so it's all good.

Like I said, not good enough. You have to be tops (almost) across all disciplines and he is not.

Great guy amd entertaining no doubt but not a tour or any GT winner. No a bad thing as he has had his big wins and will continue to elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lumen wrote: »

Dan's two weakness are there for good. He's never going to be a good TT'er.

To avoid bad days he'll have to dope. Can't see it. Not growing up in that house.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-upholding-his-familys-values-29365832.html

Its worth reading for part 2 and Vaughters alone

It not because his Irish, he's a little more English than Irish anyhow :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Kerry Cowboys Ted

ford2600 wrote: »
    Dan's two weakness are there for good. He's never going to be a good TT'er.

To avoid bad days he'll have to dope. Can't see it. Not growing up in that house.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-upholding-his-familys-values-29365832.html

Its worth reading for part 2 and Vaughters alone

It not because his Irish, he's a little more English than Irish anyhow :pac:

Hes a very proud Irishman to be clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hes a very proud Irishman to be clear

One can identify with more than one nation.

I have two nephews with a Columbian mother born and raised in Sicily with USA passports. Nephew and niece in Baltimore with an American father. Another niece born in USA but living in Ireland.

They are all Irish..

Advertisement