Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soil/Clay Removal

Options
  • 19-07-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

We dug up the top layer of our garden because it was highly impacted clay. We now have a few tonnes of it that I can't seem to get rid of. We don't have space for a skip because of where we've piled the clay up. Does anyone know of a service to remove soil/clay? All the waste removal companies I've called up so far have refused to quote us.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is it good quality? Clay soil is usually full of nutrients and makes for great raised beds, once it's not walked on. I'm in the process of trying to improve my clay soil by mixing in organic material. The weeds shoot up so quickly on areas I haven't worked in a while. Will sow grass seed when I have it all prepared.

How far down did you dig? If you just put a couple of inches of top soil on top of it, you may have drainage issues as the water will find it tough to penetrate the compacted clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Wheety wrote: »
    Is it good quality? Clay soil is usually full of nutrients and makes for great raised beds, once it's not walked on. I'm in the process of trying to improve my clay soil by mixing in organic material. The weeds shoot up so quickly on areas I haven't worked in a while. Will sow grass seed when I have it all prepared.

How far down did you dig? If you just put a couple of inches of top soil on top of it, you may have drainage issues as the water will find it tough to penetrate the compacted clay.

We had serious drainage issues in winter/autumn last year so have removed the first few inches, are leaving the bits we left to dry out to kill the weeds and then we plan to mix it with new top soil and add wildflower seeds. I think it is good quality, but we have so much of it piled up outside that we need it removed by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Attol wrote: »
    We dug up the top layer of our garden because it was highly impacted clay. We now have a few tonnes of it that I can't seem to get rid of. We don't have space for a skip because of where we've piled the clay up. Does anyone know of a service to remove soil/clay? All the waste removal companies I've called up so far have refused to quote us.

Thanks!

get a grab-truck to move the clay. google for a local guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Thanks! I searched for that instead and now have someone coming out tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

what are they charging for a truck load away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement