Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this the start of the end for diesel?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nah I wouldn't advise it. And lets get this topic back on track. If you want to pontificate you can go to the EV forum

+1 There is enough smugness and ocd from one or two posters in a number threads here already without having to endure an entire forum of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Jesus I actually thought this thread /post was actually about diesel/ fossil fuelled vehicles but seems the evidence car mob has hijacked it. People like elm327 etc who seem to only promote evs..but fail to address their shortcomings..at least have the respect to actually read other posts before labelling people who do not share your opinion as fools..
    Otherwise just to keep everyone happy everyone should drive an ev.. sure while yere at it why not also pass a law governing what make.model and colour of ev we all should drive.. electric vehicles as already stated has a very limited capacity compared to fossil fuel vehicles. And as previous poster's have correctly pointed out the government will simply dangle the carrot for all evs. For a while. Then tighten the noose.. now enough disrespect from the ev club ..or we TDI drivers might retaliate further. .. no worries I'm sure as much as many of the contributors to this thread absolutely hate diesels they wouldn't complain if they needed any of the countries emergency services in a hurry and yes they'd be using the old very dirty diesels. Otherwise maybe yes be happy with waiting for an ev ambulance/fire truck or police car to recharge en_route.. don't see 1 single electric vehicle carrying out collections/deliveries to stores /supermarkets/agri sector etc. Just be all happy &thankful for diesels for now otherwise we'd all be in the sh*t ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Jesus I actually thought this thread /post was actually about diesel/ fossil fuelled vehicles but seems the evidence car mob has hijacked it. People like elm327 etc who seem to only promote evs..but fail to address their shortcomings..at least have the respect to actually read other posts before labelling people who do not share your opinion as fools..
    Otherwise just to keep everyone happy everyone should drive an ev.. sure while yere at it why not also pass a law governing what make.model and colour of ev we all should drive.. electric vehicles as already stated has a very limited capacity compared to fossil fuel vehicles. And as previous poster's have correctly pointed out the government will simply dangle the carrot for all evs. For a while. Then tighten the noose.. now enough disrespect from the ev club ..or we TDI drivers might retaliate further. .. no worries I'm sure as much as many of the contributors to this thread absolutely hate diesels they wouldn't complain if they needed any of the countries emergency services in a hurry and yes they'd be using the old very dirty diesels. Otherwise maybe yes be happy with waiting for an ev ambulance/fire truck or police car to recharge en_route.. don't see 1 single electric vehicle carrying out collections/deliveries to stores /supermarkets/agri sector etc. Just be all happy &thankful for diesels for now otherwise we'd all be in the sh*t ..
    I've owned a 7.3 litre V8 diesel. Just saying.
    Just because I think the EV is the way forward and diesels are not doesn't mean I'm blind to the diesel. I'm also an avid fan of diesel trains.

Ignoring the rest of the ranty hyberbole, just wanted to fact check a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Right sorry if I misunderstood

For clarity we will have 3 different tax systems ?

Pre 2008 based on CC

2008 - 2019 based on emissions

2019 + the new system to be introduced

I'll be likely to agree a tidy up is needed but something a bit better than this

that is exactly what I expect to happen and what makes sense... Nobody is duped then, on any of the systems, bar tiny hikes in the rates over the years, that didnt change much in the scheme of things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mod edit - smug reply removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

When do people here think the last diesel car will be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As soon as it’s outlawed in the last country where they can be sold. Not in our lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Turbohymac wrote: »

Nobody "hates" diesels. I have two diesel vehicles in my driveway, we're just witnessing the decline of diesel engines in personal cars (not in trucks, ships, trains and the agri-sector). It's as plain as the nose on your face. Car manufacturers are moving away from diesel and you think people are fools for pointing that out to you? :o

I don't "hate" corncrakes, I like them, but I'm witnessing the demise of them in Ireland. Pointing that out and discussing it doesn't make me hate them.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nobody "hates" diesels. I have two diesel vehicles in my driveway, we're just witnessing the decline of diesel engines in personal cars (not in trucks, ships, trains and the agri-sector). It's as plain as the nose on your face. Car manufacturers are moving away from diesel and you think people are fools for pointing that out to you? :o

I don't "hate" corncrakes, I like them, but I'm witnessing the demise of them in Ireland. Pointing that out and discussing it doesn't make me hate them.

Diesel is a fuel, that is it....discuss diesel and some people react like you are slandering a member of their family.....

I was never a huge fan of diesel, I always found petrol cars to be a lot better drive....unfortuneatly the market is awash with diesel and even the options for PHEV/Hybrid is still restricted in Ireland compared to other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As soon as it’s outlawed in the last country where they can be sold. Not in our lifetime.

I am sure they will be driving diesels in India for many years to come (Fiat's 1.3 multijet engine is super popular over there)

But for cars made for the EU market are we likely to see diesel engines phased out in passenger cars over the next 10-15 years?

• Advertisement

gamecube wrote: »
    I am sure they will be driving diesels in India for many years to come (Fiat's 1.3 multijet engine is super popular over there)

But for cars made for the EU market are we likely to see diesel engines phased out in passenger cars over the next 10-15 years?

2040 will be the nail in coffin for diesel

Some countries have said 2030 but can’t see it....

For the private car it will reduce dramatically over next 5-6 years. Only people who really need diesel will buy it

The issue is tractors etc....I know a car lasts a long time but I grew up on farm, father bought an old Ford and Massey when I was young, must be over 30 years now so potentially the tractor is 40 years old, they are still going strong and used maybe not daily but 2-3 days per week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well the 2030 date is for sale of new vehicles, and I'm not sure if that's just passenger cars or what. ICE vehicles aren't just going to disappear overnight.

With the rapid development of EVs, I can see things changing a lot in the next 10 years, and small diesels could certainly disappear off the market quickly.

Advertisement