Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CUMH no anomaly scan

Options
  • 19-07-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just looking to vent really and see other peoples experiences with CUMH.....I had 20 week appointment in CUMH and I literally had to beg for 20 second scan, they were not going to give one due to lack of resources available scanners. This isn't even an anatomy/ anomaly scan it was "quick look" that I had to beg for. The doctor had to then wait as she was sharing a scanner between 3 other doctors. Anatomy scans are now only given to high risk patients. This isn't my first pregnancy but feel things are getting worse there.

I know its not their fault its the lack of resources but i think its disgraceful. Sorry just wanted to have a vent....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Annoys me so much.It's so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Tbh I think in this day and age not giving an anomaly scan is scandalous. Women should be kept informed of every aspect of their pregnancy but too many often we aren't. I know someone who didn't get an anomaly scan which would have detected issues that were only discovered at birth and it was a real shock. Also recently had a family member have an issue detected at their anomaly scan and were able to mentally prepare themselves for the birth and what comes next. There's a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Tbh I think in this day and age not giving an anomaly scan is scandalous. Women should be kept informed of every aspect of their pregnancy but too many often we aren't. I know someone who didn't get an anomaly scan which would have detected issues that were only discovered at birth and it was a real shock. Also recently had a family member have an issue detected at their anomaly scan and were able to mentally prepare themselves for the birth and what comes next. There's a world of difference.

Absolutely, its just shocking really. I couldn't get over how I had to even beg for a 20 second look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Just looking to vent really and see other peoples experiences with CUMH.....I had 20 week appointment in CUMH and I literally had to beg for 20 second scan, they were not going to give one due to lack of resources available scanners. This isn't even an anatomy/ anomaly scan it was "quick look" that I had to beg for. The doctor had to then wait as she was sharing a scanner between 3 other doctors. Anatomy scans are now only given to high risk patients. This isn't my first pregnancy but feel things are getting worse there.

I know its not their fault its the lack of resources but i think its disgraceful. Sorry just wanted to have a vent....

That's the pubic system for you.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I supposed my point is that I this isn't my first pregnancy and from my experience between last time and this time (both public) things are definitely getting worse there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Public system in CUMH maybe, the Dublin hospitals all public patient get one as standard.
    It shouldn’t vary around the country, this stuff should be standardized. Makes me so mad too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Digs wrote: »
    Public system in CUMH maybe, the Dublin hospitals all public patient get one as standard.
    It shouldn’t vary around the country, this stuff should be standardized. Makes me so mad too.

How often do public patients get scanned during a pregnancy? Assuming norm pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭natc

It’s not offered in kk hospital routinely either.

Had a scan this week (15wks) and sonographer mentioned 20 week scan and was I considering having one. Had originally decided not to as paid privately last time and ended up getting scanned every few weeks anyway due to complications.

However after she mentioned it I couldn’t help but feel like I should get one. So paying €200 again to have one done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

How often do public patients get scanned during a pregnancy? Assuming norm pregnancy

I’m on my third baby in Holles Street. I’ve had a quick scan at every appointment to check heartbeat and fluid levels, I’m consultant led. That’s been my experience for all three so far.

From what I can see in kk you get scanned at 12wks (approx) at first clinic appt. your not seen at clinic again until 28 weeks when another scan is done.
    Seen at 34wks then which I assume involves a scan and then at 38wks again.

I’m guessing as to whether your scanned at the latter appts as I have ended up in hospital at 32wks in both previous pregnancies so missed the 34 wk appt and I’ve ended up in hospital by 38 weeks on both.

• Advertisement

Eh, no it's not. I'm on my 3rd child since 2014 and am attending Waterford. My first two were public and I got an anomaly scan at 21 weeks. This time I'm private and get a scan at every appointment but was still sent into the hospital at 21 weeks to get the anomaly scan on their machine, which is more advanced than my consultant's. So it's more likely a hospital resource thing rather than public vs private, but that really doesn't excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Just had my second scan today at 32w, it's an awful long wait from the 12w. Didn't get to see much of baby because 3 doctors were in taking notes and checking whatever they needed to check. Was meant to discuss medication to prevent retained placenta and a date for my c section and instead they quizzed me about why I didn't get into hospital until 9cm dilated on my first and why I wouldn't go natural again. This has pissed me off beyond belief because I was told at my 12w app under no circumstances could I go natural this time around due to the amount of scar tissue that they kindly left me with 2years ago.

I'm so stressed and worried now because even though I had my first child at 37+5 they want to schedule section IF I get one, for 39w. I feel like absolute ****e for being so angry but their communication skills and relaying of mixed information isn't up to feckin par

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm in Holles Street and everyone I know who attends there, public, private or semi p, gets scanned at every single appointment. I've had issues picked up on all three pregnancies at anatomy or routine scans. I think the women attending CUMH should sit in the hospital until each and every one of them is scanned. It goes against international best practice not to scan during pregnancy and it is unbelievable that the staff there would try to fob anyone off.

lazygal wrote: »
    I'm in Holles Street and everyone I know who attends there, public, private or semi p, gets scanned at every single appointment. I've had issues picked up on all three pregnancies at anatomy or routine scans. I think the women attending CUMH should sit in the hospital until each and every one of them is scanned. It goes against international best practice not to scan during pregnancy and it is unbelievable that the staff there would try to fob anyone off.

Absolutely. 2 days later and I'm still pi**ed off about it. It just wrong to have to beg for a 20 second look. It wasn't that bad before but they are definitely getting worse. Don't even get me started on them not giving routine anatomy scans.

Absolutely. 2 days later and I'm still pi**ed off about it. It just wrong to have to beg for a 20 second look. It wasn't that bad before but they are definitely getting worse. Don't even get me started on them not giving routine anatomy scans.

The staff there shouldn't be putting up with it either. My 20 week scan was over half an hour long and checked all anatomy and a few other issues due to my history. I get the short 'everything looks fine' scans at every other appointment.

Just had my second scan today at 32w, it's an awful long wait from the 12w. Didn't get to see much of baby because 3 doctors were in taking notes and checking whatever they needed to check. Was meant to discuss medication to prevent retained placenta and a date for my c section and instead they quizzed me about why I didn't get into hospital until 9cm dilated on my first and why I wouldn't go natural again. This has pissed me off beyond belief because I was told at my 12w app under no circumstances could I go natural this time around due to the amount of scar tissue that they kindly left me with 2years ago.

I'm so stressed and worried now because even though I had my first child at 37+5 they want to schedule section IF I get one, for 39w. I feel like absolute ****e for being so angry but their communication skills and relaying of mixed information isn't up to feckin par

I'm mad on your behalf, Purple Lemons. If you want/need a section you should be able to have it clearly in your chart and not have to explain things to different staff each time.

Speaking of which, after my anomaly scan I had to have a 'booking appointment'. Basically they produced my big, fat file and processed to ask me my address, next of kin, medical history, etc, which is all in said big file from my last 2 births. Disgraceful in this day and age that staff don't have iPads with your medical info. Think of all the time that could be saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

judeboy101 wrote:

I had 12w dating scan, anatomy scan at 21w, and another 20 second scan with consultant around 18w. I'm back with the midwife clinic now so I don't think I'll have any more scans, they just use the Doppler to check heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I can also confirm that I get a little scan every time I attend an appointment at holles Street. I also got a 12 week dating scan, a twenty week big scan and am having another big scan at around 32 weeks.

It is so frustrating that every mother does not get the same as me. There should be equal care for everyone across the country. I think I little bit of the problem is that we are only pregnant for 9/10 months and once that time has passed we generally don't think about the lack of scans so the complaining about the lack of services and campaign for better care is just abandoned to the next batch of mothers coming up. It shouldn't be something that we even have to ask for but our campaign just doesn't have any consistent strength behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Surprised to hear this about CUMH. I'd my baby in March and had a mini scan at every visit, an anomaly scan and 2 growth scans. I saw the same registrar from January and my birth preferences were all taken into account. The waiting times weren't bad either. The midwives were fantastic post natally as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had both of mine in the UK and had scans at 12 and 20 weeks as standard. I had multiple scans after 35 weeks with my second due to reduced movements and mild polyhydramnios. I also paid for private early scans both times. To not offer the anatomy scan or to offer it late is unforgivable really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely disgraceful the way pregnant woman are treated in this country. If men had babies it would be a whole different system. I can't believe you don't get 20 week scan in some parts of country. I understand if your going public that might not be able to be scanned all time but 20 week one is a must.

I remember how nervous we were going for it just in case anything was wrong.

I went private so scanned all time but wrong that people aren't. You should all contact local T.Ds in that area about this. May not do anything but yoy never know with an election around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

I’m on my second pregnancy attending KUH (Tralee). I had a scan at 12 weeks at which I asked about anomaly scan at 20 and was told they only bring you in for them if the consultant considered you to have enough risk factors. I was really annoyed that it wasn’t standard part of care and I had read that only last summer a massive fundraising drive had enabled the purchase of an extra scanning machine. When I mentioned it I was quickly told they didn’t have the resources (personnel) to offer the extra scans.
    Due to family history I did get one at 20 weeks anyway, I was amazed at the detail of it! I didn’t have one with my first baby and having seen one now I wouldn’t go without again.
    I had my 32week check up earlier this week and wasn’t offered a scan at all, though everything looks fine. I didn’t mind as I had a lengthy appointment with the midwife and was very happy with everything. (I also paid privately for a 3D scan a few weeks ago and an early pregnancy scan at 9 weeks)

12, 20 and 32 week scans should be standard for everyone throughout the hospitals. It’s really not good enough to have variation of care....post code lottery!

I feel so sorry for healthcare staff who would only love to provide better standards and are so under-resourced

12, 20 and 32 week scans should be standard for everyone throughout the hospitals. It’s really not good enough to have variation of care....post code lottery!

Is 32 week scan fairly standard in the main maternity hospitals? I'm attending the midwife clinic from now on so I guess I won't be getting that one ..what are they looking for at 32w?

Cash_Q wrote: »

Is 32 week scan fairly standard in the main maternity hospitals? I'm attending the midwife clinic from now on so I guess I won't be getting that one ..what are they looking for at 32w?
    Placental position, fluid levels, general monitoring etc. Scanning is proven to prevent foetal death.

I was on a midwife led scheme with my first and got a scan at 12 and 20 weeks. I wasn't due any more scans but every time I was palpated I was told baby was head down and good to go. I fell at 31 weeks and was scanned, which revealed that baby had never been head down, her bum had been mistaken for her head and she was frank breech. This ultimately meant I had a planned section, instead of a panicked emergency section that would have been the result of trying to see her come bum-first. Scans are important for so many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Cash_Q wrote: »

Just reading women’s differing experiences it seems 2 scans are the norm 12 & 20 or 12 & 32 weeks. As lazygal mentioned, 32 week would be for growth/size, fluid, position, placental position etc

I presume I won't be getting a 32 week scan anyway as they don't have ultrasound machines in the midwife clinic and I won't be back at the hospital until I'm nearly full term

It is a shame but I really feel for the girls not even getting the 20week scan, that's outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Public in the Coombe for my second, consultant led. Mini scan at every doc appointment in the hospital for both pregnancy. Full scans at 12 weeks and 20 weeks. Full scans after bleeding twice in the 20-30 week period on my first Slow growth detected as a result and had I think two more full scans for growth then in third trimester, the last at 37 weeks. However baby still born small 6lbs at just over full term. Already been told I will be sent for another full scan in third trimester to check growth since indications are that there was growth restriction at the end on my first (baby was supposedly 7lbs at 37 weeks)

The difference of care is incredible in different hospitals. After a miscarriage last year I’d be climbing the walls

It is crazy to think a 20 wk scan is not offered to every mother, but also a scan in around 32 wks to check presentation, growth, fluid etc.

Both midwives I’ve seen in kk asked was I considering a scan at 20 wks. I think they know how important they are and want to make mothers aware that they should consider getting them and are frustrated at the fact they cannot provide them to everyone.

My birthday is in August so my family have kindly offered to cover the costs of one as a gift as I’ll be 20wks in August. The peace of mind from it would be the best gift I could get!

I’ll go to the same place as last time. Jo was brilliant and put on the 3D scan so our daughter could actually see the baby’s face at the time on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I was in CUMH today for my 12 week booking in appointment and scan.

I was told at both the 20 week anomaly scan is back for everyone! Its performed between 21 and 23 weeks as standard for everyone. There's a letter in my folder about it which is worded quite weirdly.

It says "You'll be offered a scan that produces a 2d black and white image. The 3d and colour images that you sometimes see are on television and in magazines are not used."

Really no need for the infantising language but the patronising attitude I received from some midwives on my last pregnancy all came back to me me when I read that!

It also says" Please take time to consider what information you and your partner wish to know. Not everyone wants to know if their baby has an apparent abnormality"

Hmmm, that reads to me as if the issue with the scan being removed as standard was not necessarily to do with lack of resources and more to do with someone in a decision making role having a personal view or moral difficulty in providing this knowledge to patients. What parent would not want to know if there was an abnormality? What parent would not want the hospital to be best prepared to deal with the outcome rather than waiting for the surprise in the labour room?

Advertisement