Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical cert a dodge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2011 wrote:
    @Sleeper12 the OP has not raised any significant issue with Safe Electric / RECI so they have had no reason to take action.

Agreed. Point taken. Maybe I'm skured by past threads. If fairness to Safe Electric once they do actually latch onto a case they are very thorough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

My highlighting of what really happened to reci opens a huge can of worms. House torn apart to be rewired. Various people/businesses in trouble and me on the end of their venom likely. And likely financial costs will come my way. I appreciate it illegal for contractor to sign off on someone elses install. My 'cert' is really just a periodic inspection report. There is also a small possibility that the installer and certifier both work for the company that is the registered contractor which would make things legal if I am correct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My highlighting of what really happened to reci opens a huge can of worms. House torn apart to be rewired.

I would think it unlikely that the house would be rewired. If it was my house safety would trump inconvenience.
    Various people/businesses in trouble and me on the end of their venom likely.

If they deceived you then you shouldn't be loosing any sleep.
    There is also a small possibility that the installer and certifier both work for the company that is the registered contractor which would make things legal if I am correct.

Why not check this out? It couldn't be that hard. Then only report of there is something to report.

The only way I get the safety you mention is through a rewire surely. Harder than you think to prove they both work for same company.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The only way I get the safety you mention is through a rewire surely.

.....or it passes a far more detailed inspection.
    Harder than you think to prove they both work for same company.

No proof required, just satisfy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

meercat wrote: »

This was installer having to go through the works with certifier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

This was installer having to go through the works with certifier

Oh sorry,I read it as an inspection by safe electric on the rec which they do annually
    Either way as others have already said it’s not permitted to certify someone else’s work

On a rewire there should be 1 certificate with 3 copies
    1 Original to customer (with all tests completed pre/post connection)
    2 pre connection to esbn(to facilitate connection to meter)
    3 post connection to safe electric (with all tests completed)
    4 contractors copy(to match test records)

I’ve never come across a rewire where esbn weren’t required to connect into the meter

Advertisement