Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping car for an ebike for daily commute? (38km one way)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't this missing the point a bit. You'd require some effort obviously, but an awful lot less to just keep at 25kmph. You'd probably be doing it in the same time, if not quicker and arriving a lot less tired.

Agreed, the benefit would be to alternate, pedal slowly and take the full assist for a chunk of the way and pedal heavily with no assist for a chunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Agreed, the benefit would be to alternate, pedal slowly and take the full assist for a chunk of the way and pedal heavily with no assist for a chunk.

If the terrain is hilly an ebike is of huge benefit , also ebikes make cycling into a head winds irrelavent , and make cycling in bad weather a lot more bearable as you can wear more gear .

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't this missing the point a bit. You'd require some effort obviously, but an awful lot less to just keep at 25kmph. You'd probably be doing it in the same time, if not quicker and arriving a lot less tired.

Yes you are correct. It would still make the commute a lot easier and is an option to consider.

Somehow I thought I'd be able to pedal at normal effort and the motor would simply add power on top. That was a bit stupid and not very realistic I guess. That's how I arrived at the 55km/h number.

Its unfortunate they don't work that way. I'm going to look at the Pedelec options also.

This idea all started after I seen this beauty on a GCN Eurobike video. Expensive but a lovely machine. Worth every penny if I could get 55km/h out of it : )
    http://desiknio.com/pinionurban/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Why not? that's exactly what I do. It cuts out the most dangerous part of my commute and allows me to get in and out of town on the bike which is far faster than bus, train or car. Win win win.

Having said that I've also been considering an e-bike to commute the full journey 5 days a week.

That's great that works out for you and I can see how it could be a good option. However I'd prefer to cycle a few days and drive the others like I do currently. It seems like the car would never be where you wanted it.

The main goal here is to be free of the car entirely. Let me know if you decide to get an e-bike and how it goes. I'm still not convinced its the best option for me but was hoping some people on here would convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

There is room to tune the engines with the ebikes. Lots of information about the bosch motors and getting a little more bang for your money. Bigger battery might also be an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

WMP wrote: »
    A colleague has one of these but I havent had the chance to talk to him yet. Capable of 45kmh. Need a license here (Germany) for it which I didn't want. His has a number plate. But the slower version doesnt seem like it would be of any use.

Did you say you are in Germany? In that case, I would have thought a partial commute by train (you can bring the bike on the train?) would be ideal...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

In other countries you are starting to see speed pedelecs with number plate and road legal lights etc - might happen here sooner rather than later

Any idea how much extra (approx.) would that all cost in Ireland, including insurance?

I guess it depends what the extra 20km/h is worth to you. Also, would you still be entitled to use the cycle lanes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would guess (citation required) no, you would not be allowed use the cycle lanes. you're not on a vehicle classified as a bike. more akin to a moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

i would guess (citation required) no, you would not be allowed use the cycle lanes. you're not on a vehicle classified as a bike. more akin to a moped.

Mind you ... mopeds use them all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

C3PO wrote: »
    Mind you ... mopeds use them all the time!!

Motor vehicles are allowed to use non mandatory cycle lanes/ tracks/ whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lumen wrote: »
    Motor vehicles are allowed to use non mandatory cycle lanes/ tracks/ whatever.

Really? Please explain?

C3PO wrote: »
    Really? Please explain?
    As I understand it, the only on road cycle tracks that are for the exclusive use of cyclists are the ones demarcated by solid lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You'd be hard to hit 55kph's on a 50cc moped never mind an electric bike

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

As I understand it, the only on road cycle tracks that are for the exclusive use of cyclists are the ones demarcated by solid lines.

You're certainly allowed to park on them, for the purposes of unloading. Half an hour or something?

Oh, it turns out I'm wrong. The prohibition ("to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track") applies equally to RRM022 (solid) and RMM023 (dashed) as does the exception for "a vehicle being driven for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place".

Refs

Section 14
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

Road markings
    http://trafficsigns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/07-traffic-signs-manual-2010-chapter-7-road-markings.pdf

Generally, where people need to cross a mandatory cycle track for access, the continuous white line becomes discontinuous at that point. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Lumen wrote:
    Oh, it turns out I'm wrong. The prohibition ("to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track") applies equally to RRM022 (solid) and RMM023 (dashed) as does the exception for "a vehicle being driven for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place".

Does that leave an interesting situation whereby if dashed lines have been slapped down on a narrow road with a white line down the centre and the road narrows so the gap between the 2 lines is now less than a car width that a car cannot proceed?

There are standard-width traffic lanes all around Dublin (probably elsewhere) that include a cycle track. It's actually impossible to drive in them and not simultaneously drive "partly along or across" the cycle track. When asked about these, the planners say they're to remind drivers to expect cyclists. But they make the lane impossible to use in strict accordance with the SIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Refs

Section 14
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

Road markings
    http://trafficsigns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/07-traffic-signs-manual-2010-chapter-7-road-markings.pdf

2012 fixed that and basically made "advisory" cycle tracks a total waste of paint.
    (5)(a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 [B]-Solid-[/B] has been provided, save for the purposes of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

I guess the updated SIs make combination traffic lanes/cycle tracks legal then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes.

The only thing they do is prohibit parking for more then 30 minutes or for purposes other than loading/unloading. The fact that most are colocated with clearways during the same hours makes them totally futile.

They exist to let local authorities like South Dublin CoCo say we built X km of cycling infra last year when they talk about lanes that nobody can use.

IMO these lanes encourage passing as close as possible without entering the lane.

I'd refine that a tiny bit: a lot of the dashed-line lanes are usable enough; they're just not definitiveely any more usable than the road was before it was painted. I think, on the one hand, they encourage close passes, as you say. On the other hand, motorists do seem to keep off them at rush hour, to a surprising extent, meaning that there usually is a clear path up the side of stationary traffic where cycle tracks have been painted, and I don't think that's as true where they haven't been painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

On my second pedelec and there is some common misunderstandings about how they work. The motor assist kick out at 25kph but it also gets there very quickly. While people can cycle over that speed easily on a flat road over time they won't do so in commuter traffic uphill on a windy day and that is the true benefit. It evens out all your journeys over the year easily.
    For the price the OP seems to be suggesting I would go the two battery route. You can get dual systems but I would just buy another batter and charger and change at each end of the trip.
    Here are some things to consider. The bikes are heavier but the motor eliminates that issue. It benefits from being more stable as a result for many designs.

Which motor type and position. You can front or back wheel motors along with mid motors on the crank shaft. Wheel motors run the damage risks of any wheel plus can lead to unbalance weight and grip. Mid motor is better weighted and more similar to regular cycling but greater strain on chains and gears.

Speed adjustment. There are a number of add ons and tweaks for private land use. Bosh systems seem to have an array of mods but pricey at about €200 but easily switched on and off. There is a very cheap mod of relocating the magnet to the crank and turning the sensor around but fiddly for a quick change. Rumoured software fix on that but not confirmed. Some bikes sold do not have the legal required limiter installed or have an accelerator. Certain cycle shops will not service them but most won't say anything. If you are in an accident on a modded or unlimited version you could be done for lack of insurance, licence etc...

Replacement parts can be an issue on some unique designs. If the batter dies and you can't get a replacement your bike is dead. You could try to rebuild the battery yourself but they can literally explode if you get it wrong. Stick with a leading brand of motor and battery.

Batteries life is dependant on use but should last 4-5 years and guaranteed for 2 years normally. They slowly degrade so you have plenty of warning

Advertisement