Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox as Default Browser

Options
  • 19-07-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hello All,
    I have an iPhone 6 with OS 11.4.1 installed.
    When I follow a link from email etc. I am given the option of Safari or Chrome browsers. Does anyone know how to add Firefox to the list or to replace Chrome with Firefox browser?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You'll need to install Firefox from the AppStore.

It's located here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/firefox-web-browser/id989804926?mt=8

If you follow the link above from your phone it should take you directly to a page where you can sign in with your AppleID and just hit "Install".

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

MrVestek wrote: »
    You'll need to install Firefox from the AppStore.

It's located here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/firefox-web-browser/id989804926?mt=8

If you follow the link above from your phone it should take you directly to a page where you can sign in with your AppleID and just hit "Install".

Hope that helps!

I deleted Firefox and re-installed from the AppStore but it does not show it as an option. Even deleting Chrome does not solve it, as it then simply opens Safari.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Safari is the default browser. You can't change it.

Some apps are giving you a choice to open in Chrome because they are Google apps and Google would obviously like you to use their browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

That explains it!
    Thanks for the information.
    Cerco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ahh sorry, I didn't realise that you already had Firefox installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Safari is the default browser. You can't change it.

I also would like to change the default (to Chrome though not ff).

Isn't it odd that Google would get fined Billions for insisting on Chrome being installed - even though the user can switch to any browser -

But there is no problem Apple not only insisting Safari is there always but wont let you remove it as the default...

ah well...

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ozmo wrote: »

Isn't it odd that Google would get fined Billions for insisting on Chrome being installed - even though the user can switch to any browser -

But there is no problem Apple not only insisting Safari is there always but wont let you remove it as the default...

ah well...

Afaik the Google thing was an anti-trust suit. Google have a market monopoly, Apple don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

ozmo wrote: »

ah well...
    Yeah, would like to see Apple hit with a fine for pushing Safari on people. Many may like it as their browser, but I hate it. It's more like when MS were defaulting to IE, until they were forced to give an option.

Advertisement