Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period required to end tenancy

Options
  • 19-07-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some clarification. I have a house which I intend to sell. The tenant is currently 3 years into his second part 4 tenancy period (i.e. the tenancy is subject to the old 4 year part 4 tenancy regulation, as opposed to the new 6 year part 4).

Basically, the tenant is living in the house for 7 years. On searching on the RTB site etc, it states for tenancy of 7 years, but less than 8, 196 days notice is required. Just looking for clarity to see if this is applicable to the old part 4 regulations, or is it only for the new ones? I know there were some regulatory changes recently, and I can't seem to find any clarity of what applies to old part 4 tenancies (if there's any difference at all). Obviously, I've issue with providing whatever notice is legally required, but I'd just like all the facts before I proceed with issuing notice. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The notice period depends on occupation. You have two bases of terminating the tenancy. Provided you are not in a fixed term lease, you can terminate on grounds you intend to sell or alternatively you can wait until the final six months of the part for and terminate without giving a reason at all.
    You will have to give 196 days notice in any event.

Advertisement