Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving away young tree

Options
  • 19-07-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have had this little tree randomly growing in the back garden for 2 or 3 years now - a seed must have blown over from a neighbour's tree. Don't know the name of it but I've included photos of it here and the mature tree that I assume it came from.

If anyone can tell me the name of it that would be great and if anyone would like to take the tree please send me a private message.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a willow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Schools are always glad to receive trees for the kids to plant in the grounds. I grow chestnut, beech and oak for a couple of the local schools here.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Anakena wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have had this little tree randomly growing in the back garden for 2 or 3 years now - a seed must have blown over from a neighbour's tree. Don't know the name of it but I've included photos of it here and the mature tree that I assume it came from.

If anyone can tell me the name of it that would be great and if anyone would like to take the tree please send me a private message.

It's a willow alright. Dig it up now otherwise you'll have them popping up all over the place. They'll spread by roots and also seeds. They make a pretty good hedge though but grow really quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Also have a reputation for their roots causing damage to underground structures like foundation and pipework. Interested to hear opinions on this, though.
    Is it overblown and dependent on the type of willow?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anakena

finla wrote: »
    It's a willow alright. Dig it up now otherwise you'll have them popping up all over the place. They'll spread by roots and also seeds. They make a pretty good hedge though but grow really quick.
    aw wrote: »
    Also have a reputation for their roots causing damage to underground structures like foundation and pipework. Interested to hear opinions on this, though.
    Is it overblown and dependent on the type of willow?

Yes, I've noticed the roots from the neighbour's tree has spread underneath the wall (separating the gardens) and into our garden, which is a bit worrying as it runs right alongside our house. Will definitely be digging up the small one and see what can be done about the other one. They chopped off more than half the branches off it yesterday, so maybe they might be willing to remove it all together :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement