Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses you are surprised exist

Options
  • 19-07-2018 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Do you ever see a business/service and think....how is that making money? Let's see if there's other people like that here. Maybe people can fill others in on how it would make money.

First up for me.

- Niche magazines like those ones targeted to runners. Saw one that cost 8 or 9 euro. Surely there aren't that many runners who would pay 9 quid for a magazine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I think a lot of these magazines rely on subscriptions where the unit price is obviously a lot lower.

One place that surprises me is shops that seem to be 90% cards. I know how much card printing costs and the margins are good but you still need to sell a load to be bringing in enough to cover rent and rates! I say this having doubled the amount of cards we have in our Edinburgh shop :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Was in one place in a rural town that seemed to mostly stock holy statues, mass cards and the like. However these type of smaller quirky retailers would often own their own premises and it's a life to live, even if income is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

there's a market for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Buttercake wrote: »
    there's a market for everything

Probably true, but not everything can pay it's way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bicycle shop round the corner here. They are so rude and unfriendly whenever you go in there. Another bike shop 200m up the road couldn’t be nicer. I’ve spent €1000’s in there.....

There’s also a vaping/e-cigarette shop that i’ve never seen anyone inside but it’s been there for a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Timely thread! I was in the George's St Arcade (in Dublin) yesterday passing by the tiny stalls and shops selling all sorts of trinkets, wondering how many people actually buy anything out of all of those who pass by. They must be just about making a living, but maybe doing better than you'd think?

Advertisement