Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance valuation and local building code

Options
  • 19-07-2018 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

When I renew my house insurance every year I have to put a valuation on rebuild costs.
    I've blindly followed rough online guidelines based on house size and type (bungalow etc).
    However the other day I was reading about how costs can vary hugely depending on the standard required by the local council. For example Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council requires all new builds to be passive standard which no doubt is quite expensive to achieve.

So, If my house burned down tomorrow I have no doubt that my current rebuild cost evaluation would not cover passive spec rebuild.

If next year i add €150K to the rebuild evaluation based on this, would it be questioned or more importantly honored should the worst happen?
    Can i change the current rebuild cost evaluation midyear for that matter?

Curious as to home owners opinion on this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement