Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players Who were supposed to be the "Next big Thing" but weren't

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

royston drenthe - signed by Real Madrid after youth world cup... never happened for him there and became bit of a journey man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Javier Saviola for me, then he got pushed out by Eto'o and never got back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

callaway92 wrote: »
    This is a complete myth...not sure why people say this so much.

Young player of the tournament was given to him solely based on his miracle deflected goal against Poland

Utter bollox, he got young player of the tournament because of his ability to win and keep the ball in the middle of the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Yeah Renato Sanches was really impressive at Euro 2016; so much potential there. He's only 20 years of age so I don't think he should be in this thread; ditto Odegaard.
    Not sure I get the analogy. It seems to be just putting the names of footballers together.

I think if Gascoigne was not a big thing, then no English midfielder ever was a big thing. Or at least this side of 1966.
    What analogy? That's how all those players were described when young.
    Two people mentioned Balotelli as never becoming a big thing. If Gazza was a big thing, then so is Balotelli, in my opinion.

Emmanuel Frimpong was supposed to be so good that Wenger encouraged England to cap him before he played for Ghana. He's now playing for Ermis Aradippou.

Abou Diaby, the next Vieira, didn't amount to much but Paul Pogba still praises him for his skills to this day.

Giampaolo Pazzini, the next Pippo Inzaghi, became more like the next Simone Inzaghi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Michael Owen won the Balon D'or ffs :pac:

That whole post missed the topic by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Abou Diaby, the next Vieira, didn't amount to much but Paul Pogba still praises him for his skills to this day.

Injuries really killed his career. Was a phenomenal talent and did have some big performances during his Arsenal career. Sad to see how his career went in the end.

Throwing out an Irish lad here, Stephen Bradley. Captained Arsenal reserves and was hailed as the next big thing. Now Shamrock Rovers manager. Read an interesting interview, in which he said that he was effectively paid too much at Arsenal and as a result some of the hunger left him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Dani Pacheco is another that springs to mind.

Anyone remember this guy? There's a new book coming out about this subject.
    https://www.football365.com/news/giuliano-maiorana-man-uniteds-next-next-big-thing

Nicola Ventola and Stefano Okaka Chuka were both highly touted, and two of the youngest debutants ever in Serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Gael Kakuta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Jon Stead always springs to mind when this subject comes up, 68 appearances in two seasons with 22 goals for Huddersfield, 2002 to 2004

He was called the best player outside the Premier league back then, played for all the England teams right up to the under 21's, and seemed destined for greatness.

He ended up at Blackburn.

I've always kept an eye on the terriers and really thought he was destined for greatness back then, I could see him being a force for England

But he just slowly fizzled out, he's 35 now and at Notts County

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bojan is always the first name i think of when this question is posed. there was major hype for him when messi was becoming messi and the whispers were bojan was even better.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/18/bojan-krkic-interview-anxiety-attacks-football

Good interview with him there with Sid Lowe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

astradave wrote: »
    Strictly from a United perspective Rodrigo Possebon and Giuseppe Rossi.. Both suffered horrible injuries in their teens, I’m not sure about Possebon but Rossi forged a decent enough career without ever hitting the heights expected of him

That's a myth about Possebon , it was a horrible tackle but he wasn't badly hurt. He played again less than a month later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Gabriel Obertan, was supposed to be the next zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As an Arsenal fan one that hurts is Abou Diaby. Suffered a horror injury in a wreckless tackle back in '06 and then spent all of his remaining time at the club constantly battling to stay fit, without much success. He had so much natural ability, if he'd had more luck I think he could have been truly world class.

When Arsenal played away to Liverpool in the early stages of the 12/13 season Diaby was utterly, utterly dominant in midfield: the best player on the field that day by miles, totally ran the show: at times he reminded me of an adult playing football with little kids. He looked to have it all - skill, strength, vision, stamina. A couple of weeks later he got injured, again, and only played a tiny amount of games for the rest of the season. Awful waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Michael Owen won the Balon D'or ffs :pac:
    The pinnacle of his career at the age of 20/21.

• Advertisement

Alan Dzagoev was tipped to be a big star but injuries dragged him down.

Nani and Stephen El Sharaawy were compared to Cronaldo in their early days.

Mattia Destro and Massimo Maccerone were both expected to be big stars for Italy. Maccerone was brilliant for under-21 Italy team. Middlebrough fans will remember him for scoring late goals in their UEFA Cup run and he had a decent career with Siena and Empoli in his later years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Utter bollox, he got young player of the tournament because of his ability to win and keep the ball in the middle of the pitch

Classy comment.

He didn't impress me in the tournie at all. Got the award based on a miracle goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ali Dia :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Some of these players had reasonable careers, but never fulfilled their true true potential

Francis Jeffers
    Royston Drenthe
    Danny Welbeck
    Klaas Jan Huntelaar
    Matt Jansen
    Federico Macheda
    Danny Cadamateri
    Julian Joachim
    Rafael Van der Vaart
    Denilson
    Nii Lamptey
    Ravel Morrison
    Erik Nevland
    Mikel Forssel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Talisman wrote: »

He also scored 40 international goals and is the fifth highest scorer in England history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

There's been many down the years. Of the current crop, Martial would have to be up there. Seeing how Raheem (and Kev, and Leroy, even Fabian!) flourished last season, it'd be fascinating to see what Pep could bring out of the lad. I rate Martial very highly but for some reason, he seems to have stagnated under Mourinho.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Some of these players had reasonable careers, but never fulfilled their true true potential

Francis Jeffers
    Royston Drenthe
    Danny Welbeck
    Klaas Jan Huntelaar
    Matt Jansen
    Federico Macheda
    Danny Cadamateri
    Julian Joachim
    Rafael Van der Vaart
    Denilson
    Nii Lamptey
    Ravel Morrison
    Erik Nevland
    Mikel Forssel

yes, that is the whole point of the thread,players who were supposed to be the next big thing but weren't:confused:

ravel morrison was once described by Sir Alex Ferguson as 'the best kid he'd ever seen' aged 14, he is now 25 and playing in mexico, not sure that is a reasonable career.

blueser wrote: »
    There's been many down the years. Of the current crop, Martial would have to be up there. Seeing how Raheem (and Kev, and Leroy, even Fabian!) flourished last season, it'd be fascinating to see what Pep could bring out of the lad. I rate Martial very highly but for some reason, he seems to have stagnated under Mourinho.

martial is still only 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

pgj2015 wrote: »
    martial is still only 22
    I know. Not sure what age has to do with the context of the thread. I remember him bursting onto the scene (that Liverpool game at OT and Martin Tyler nearly spontaneously combusting!). He obviously had real potential to go on and and be "the next big thing", but something's gone wrong somewhere. As you intimated though, he does have time to get things back on track. Whether that's at utd or not, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

yes, that is the whole point of the thread:confused:

I was trying to draw a distinction between people who started well, but faded into obscurity quickly (like Jeffers)..... versus people who should/could have been world class, but settled into average clubs (like Denilson and Huntelaar).

There are various levels of 'didn't realise their potential'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Jon flanagan. 1 or 2 decent games and he was hyped up as a world beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think that's really what the perception was. He was known to be limited - he was subbed off after half an hour in his first game against Utd because he was on the verge of getting sent off.

He clearly wasn't a very talented footballer.

He came in out of necessity and performed beyond all expectations, but I don't think many ever really had him pegged as a long term option.
    Sure it was left-back where he was playing and he's a right back by trade. He clearly wasn't going to stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some stupid suggestions on this thread, clearly designed to get a cheap rise.

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think that's really what the perception was. He was known to be limited - he was subbed off after half an hour in his first game against Utd because he was on the verge of getting sent off.

He clearly wasn't a very talented footballer.

He came in out of necessity and performed beyond all expectations, but I don't think many ever really had him pegged as a long term option.
    Sure it was left-back where he was playing and he's a right back by trade. He clearly wasn't going to stay there.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/12/from-cafu-praise-to-burnley-bench-the-sad-demise-of-jon-flanagan/

Hugo Viana; outstanding for underage Portugal teams, compared to Rui Costa, moved to Newcastle and disappointed.

James Vaughan; youngest ever Premier League goalscorer, his career was blighted by injury.

Josh McEachran; played for Chelsea as a 17 year-old, now playing for Brentford.

Adriano; one of the most naturally gifted athetes ever, much like Paul McGrath, he had a lot of personal problems with drink and drugs. If he'd got his head straight he would have been a legend like Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo and co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Scouse Cafu nickname was always said with tongue firmly in cheek.

He was considered a bit of a joke before 13/14. His buccaneering performances got him a great deal of affection, but I don't think anyone who watched him regularly thought he was any more talented a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Reid Odd Washbowl

Different kind of beater now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Micah Richards was touted as the next great defender when at Man City - now he seams to just waste on the fringes at Aston Villa , unable to shift him , on massive wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Franny Jeffers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Talisman wrote: »

Nah sure he won the premierleague at the age of 32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dessie baker was going to be a superstar at one point I think back in mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

There was a west ham youth footballer I think his surname was Byrne(I think).I remember west ham had Joe Cole and lampard coming through at the time
    Harry redknap was giving an interview and was asked about this possible superstar Joe Cole but Harry said he was more excited about Byrne as he said he was a bigger prospect.

Never made the break through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Robinho comes to my mind.
    Ryan Babel too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Neill mellor, I think he played up front for Liverpool from what I can remember was serposed to be the next Michel Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    There was a west ham youth footballer I think his surname was Byrne(I think).I remember west ham had Joe Cole and lampard coming through at the time
    Harry redknap was giving an interview and was asked about this possible superstar Joe Cole but Harry said he was more excited about Byrne as he said he was a bigger prospect.

Never made the break through

Shaun Byrne. He ended up playing LOI with Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

as everton fan i hear about this lad a lot..Billy kenny.. was supposed to have been the next big thing..... but ended up retired at 21 with a drug addiction

https://ahalftimereport.com/2015/05/19/from-englands-hottest-prospect-to-retired-at-21-the-story-of-billy-kenny/

Advertisement