Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freight Forwarder

Options
  • 19-07-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I have a little background in Transport and im seriously considering setting up a freight forwarding company. Can anyone tell me about the legal side ? Do i need to apply for a haulage licence if im not doing the transport? If not what licence do i need, what kind of insurance would i need ( i immagine ths wont be cheap ). And also ballpark what money do i need to start up.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Hi All,

I have a little background in Transport and im seriously considering setting up a freight forwarding company. Can anyone tell me about the legal side ? Do i need to apply for a haulage licence if im not doing the transport? If not what licence do i need, what kind of insurance would i need ( i immagine ths wont be cheap ). And also ballpark what money do i need to start up.

Thank you

Do you have any experience in freight forwarding? You mention transport but that covers a lot of businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shadowman1991

Do you have any experience in freight forwarding? You mention transport but that covers a lot of businesses!

The only experience i have in freight forwarding is dealing with them as customers. the experience i have is haulage. finding loads sending them down the road. temp reports, making sure drivers do what they are told and dont get lost. i have a good record of recruiting artic drivers and training them up. What do you ahve in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

The only experience i have in freight forwarding is dealing with them as customers. the experience i have is haulage. finding loads sending them down the road. temp reports, making sure drivers do what they are told and dont get lost. i have a good record of recruiting artic drivers and training them up. What do you ahve in mind ?

Having a back ground in transport planning would be handy but I think you be struggling to do freight forwarding solo with it.. There’s a lot to freight forwarding that hauliers might not be aware of, particularly for air and sea freight..

Maybe you could reach out to one of the forwarders you deal with and see if they would take you on for a few weeks to learn the ropes, and get an idea of what’s involved..

I’ve worked in freight for nearly 5 years but still wouldn’t be confident enough to go out on my own yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Good morning,

I have 40 years experience in the freight / logistics industry. I have a good overview and handle on what is what in terms of Air, Ocean, Road, Customs and Logistics. I have found that you can not do it all on your own. Therefore, when I generate business, I have two partner companies that handle the operational end of things. They are experts in their respective fields, have the operational infrastructure in place. That allows me to focus exclusively on developing more business, in the knowledge that the operational end is well covered. I am fortunate that the people I work with are good friends and therefore can trust them with my business.

The structure I built did not happen overnight. I has taken some time to work out the ins and outs. Freight forwarding is not an easy business. I have had the opportunity throughout my career to travel, meet overseas agents that assist me in handling my business overseas (for instance I have a fantastic agent in China that can handle anything I care to throw at him).

Ultimately you need to find your niche, i.e. where can you add most value to your customers. If that is in haulage / distribution, start there. You are on familiar ground and can use your experience and expertise to help solve problems for your clients, improve their processes and help save them money (not by lowering your rates!).

Feel free to drop me a PM. I am based in Cork, but travel to Dublin and further afield on a regular basis. Happy to meet for a cuppa and to chew the fat.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement