Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Macro

Options
  • 19-07-2018 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a bit of help using Excel Macros.

I want to design an excel sheet to be used as a standard.
    I was wondering if I could use or make a macro so that when someone fills in data, they can then press a button within the excel sheet to:
    1.) Save the excel in a new location
    (most likely back two folders, then following the path with information from values within the excel sheet, i.e.
    " ..\..\value_1\value_2\ " ), ideally as a PDF
    2.) Automatically print a copy of the document when saved

It's a big ask, thank you for any help.

Additional Information:
    If the above is possible, would it also be possible create to a new folder if the folder location doesn't exist at the time of saving, but also prevent overwriting if the same location is chosen, e.g file.pdf file[1].pdf etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Two suggestions..

• Google is your friend - you will find lots of examples of this kind of functionality
    • Experiment with the macro record function (bottom left, beside the "Ready" message)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

homer911 wrote: »
    Two suggestions..

• Google is your friend - you will find lots of examples of this kind of functionality
    • Experiment with the macro record function (bottom left, beside the "Ready" message)
    Agree!

You can find really handy macro templates that can them be built on, with other code being implemented from other templates online.

I've no clue of VBA and I was able to build a handy tool for work quite similar to yours by googling various templates.

Quite fun as well, when it all comes together.

I was surprised at the power VBA has over Windows, but the user will always have to accept the use of Macros each time, unless you get everyone to lower their security setting on Excel.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Thanks, thought I'd have to end up that way in the end.
    Ubuntu/Libreoffice user at home so don't find it easy to test Excel macros etc

Advertisement