Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Valu wrong price at till compared to shelves

Options
  • 19-07-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

For the past while now ive noticed that items on the weekly shop are not always at the price they are displayed at on the shelves in my local Super Valu. It seems to be getting worse recently and have noticed at almost every shop soem items is wrong on the receipt.I am wondering if people experience this in other SV stores. From what I can see people will not bother going back for a euro but it all adds up if everyone is being overcharged. Anybody any thoughts on this????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Glebee wrote: »
    For the past while now ive noticed that items on the weekly shop are not always at the price they are displayed at on the shelves in my local Super Valu. It seems to be getting worse recently and have noticed at almost every shop soem items is wrong on the receipt.I am wondering if people experience this in other SV stores. From what I can see people will not bother going back for a euro but it all adds up if everyone is being overcharged. Anybody any thoughts on this????

Examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The SuperValu in Castleisland would often leave the "6 for the price of 5 bottles of wine" sale sign up, even though its a month out of date, as most people, having picked the wine, would just buy the wine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Supervalu stores are primarily franchises; nearly entirely so outside Dublin. So non-offer pricing comes down to the owner, not the chain; and shelf pricing stickers fully down to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I have noticed this a lot in my local. I just scan the items and see the attention of staff to the shelf price versus the till. I always get charged the shelf price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Examples?

Just a few that spring to mind recently but it seems to be happening more and more. Its not the end of the world but it does my head in.

Kelkin Musuli - Shelf price 2.99, till price 3.47

4 bottle of Eringer Beer for 10.00 on shelf, till price 12.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've noticed this a lot in both my local Euro Spar and also a Centra near me.

It's happened more than once.

Usually on the specials, especially the wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Noticed this a couple of times lately but put it down to my eyes deceiving me.
    Should have went back to double check .
    I will the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It does happen and it's worth keeping an eye on the checkout when the items are being scanned. It happened to me with a relatively high value item a few years ago - a large box of Aeriel Automatic in Dunnes Cornelscourt which was on special offer so I was very alert as it was scanned and it came up at the original (pre-discount) price. When I pointed out the discrepancy, a supervisor was called, they admitted the mistake and they gave it to me for free, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

anewme wrote: »
    I've noticed this a lot in both my local Euro Spar and also a Centra near me.

It's happened more than once.

Usually on the specials, especially the wines.

My local SV (Cork) is absolute murder for overcharging. As anewme say, the worst offenders are the "special offers" that have not been reduced at the till. I gave out stink about one such "offer" last year that wasn't reduced. The manager apologised profusely and said the "mistake" would be rectified immediately. I went in 3 days later and guess what?? Still over-charging!!

They don't get away with it with me but I feel sorry for all the people who don't check their receipts and are being ripped-off on a weekly basis. It's no accident either. I said it to my MIL and she is now noticing it on a regular basis.

You MUST check your SV receipt before you leave the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

This has been rampant for years in our local one.

I have often thought if everyone kept track of it you could have a serious scandal on your hands.

And every time I go there I hear others trying to resolve the same issues.

I really dont know how this isnt doing more damage to their reputation to be honest because it absolutely infuriates some people I know. Especially because of the whole issue of not wanting to drive back for the sake of a €1 but to be honest you would out of principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

byronbay2 wrote: »
    My local SV (Cork) is absolute murder for overcharging. As anewme say, the worst offenders are the "special offers" that have not been reduced at the till. I gave out stink about one such "offer" last year that wasn't reduced. The manager apologised profusely and said the "mistake" would be rectified immediately. I went in 3 days later and guess what?? Still over-charging!!

It's quite a few years ago now but I recall reading in a local newspaper that my local SV proprietor was fined in the district court for this offence and it was his third conviction.

You need to report that guy to the relevant authority, in the UK they're called Trading Standards, maybe somebody here knows who's responsible in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OolaOwl

The best one i saw recently in our SV Tipperary is candles with a yellow reduced price sticker saying 'now only €2.99 save 50%' and the original price under it was also €2.99 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

It used to happen regularly in my local Centra, but then it changed hands and it is very rare now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Happens more often than I’d like in my local supervalue and I don’t even shop there often. Pain in the neck to get rectified too as you are standing there like a spare wheel while they check

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Happens a lot in SV in Lucan and that's not even a franchise. It's owned directly by Musgraves.
    Always happens with the special offers, e.g. 3 beers for €9. Always comes out at €9.59 or something like that, i.e. the full price.
    There's been a few times when it's happened and I've pointed out and they say they'll rectify it.
    In two days later... same thing again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Glebee wrote:

I don't have any experiences of this but what incenses me is the failure of stores to display ANY prices at all. I regularly see in different stores produce but no price labels. Sometimes fallen away I would imagine. The real reaction that I pick up from staff when this is pointed out is slightly off hand (as in - its only a price label and those spuds are only €1. What's the big deal?)

Drives me up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This has been a problem in my local Super Valu since the year dot.

I have just gotten to the stage of never using any tills except the self service check outs, so that I can see what I am being overcharged on (there will almost always be something).

Staff are sick of it, to the extent that they will usually just credit you back an item worth more than the difference and the shop loses money as a result.

But what drives me mad is that you ask them to make sure the error is noted (for example a certain beer advertised as 4 for 10euro) and fixed, but you know they just couldn't be arsed and the next chump who doesn't pay attention at the till will get overcharged.

Tbh I can't wait til a Lidl or Aldi opens nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭bobbyss

JayRoc wrote: »
    This has been a problem in my local Super Valu since the year dot.

I have just gotten to the stage of never using any tills except the self service check outs, so that I can see what I am being overcharged on (there will almost always be something).

Staff are sick of it, to the extent that they will usually just credit you back an item worth more than the difference and the shop loses money as a result.

But what drives me mad is that you ask them to make sure the error is noted (for example a certain beer advertised as 4 for 10euro) and fixed, but you know they just couldn't be arsed and the next chump who doesn't pay attention at the till will get overcharged.

Tbh I can't wait til a Lidl or Aldi opens nearby.

Yes. I have tols staff about price tags lost, not there or badly misplaced but that is exactly the reaction-couldn't gives a t oss. But can you blame them really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Happened to me a few times in various stores. My own local Supervalu (Thurles) it doesn't seem to happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

100 people over one Saturday say buy nappies that are marked at 9.99 but scan at 11.99

That's 200 euro extra for the shop

Probably 80 don't notice and 20 do

Of those 20 half won't bother asking as it's too much hastle

So 10 get a refund and 1 to 2 give out to the manager

So shop up 180

Funny how they don't seem to have as many products scanning at a lower price.

Wierd that eh

• Advertisement

lol, dont think ive even been undercharged in SV

I messaged my local one on Facebook with a link to this thread.

Their response:

"Hi Adrian, Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are currently undergoing a renovation and scanning systems are being looked at to reduce this happening as much as possible. We understand the annoyance this causes and we will do our best to stop it��"

Our one is undergoing renovation alright, lets hope their scanning systems get successfully looked at!!

I've actually never noticed that, i'll have to keep an eye out in future

My SV refurbished recently enough. Still happens the whole time but really only on special offers. From now on im going to check my receipt before I leave the shop and report back to this thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If Supervalu ran all the stores themselves like Dunnes and Tesco this wouldn't happen as often. Employees would be scanning labels and products throughout the store all day. Employees would be sanctioned or laid off if it happened repeatedly.

With a franchised layout I assume its just "meh, I'll do it later"

If Supervalu ran all the stores themselves like Dunnes and Tesco this wouldn't happen as often. Employees would be scanning labels and products throughout the store all day. Employees would be sanctioned or laid off if it happened repeatedly.

It's happened to me in Tesco's and Dunne's. SV doesn't hold the monopoly on what I consider to be this shady behaviour.

Its worth noting, I have never heard of anyone reporting this happening in Aldi or Lidl.

zig wrote:
    Its worth noting, I have never heard of anyone reporting this happening in Aldi or Lidl.

Aldi and Lidl don't feel the need to rip off their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Overcharging happens regularly in my local SuperValu. I ALWAYS check my receipt. Bought a tart recently, flashed 4.25 charged 4.50. I never ever get UNDER CHARGED. There is never a problem when I mention it to staff but so many customers don't even take their receipt. Never a mistake in ALDI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

hillbloom wrote: »
    Overcharging happens regularly in my local SuperValu. I ALWAYS check my receipt. Bought a tart recently, flashed 4.25 charged 4.50. I never ever get UNDER CHARGED. There is never a problem when I mention it to staff but so many customers don't even take their receipt. Never a mistake in ALDI.

It's more likely you either don't notice or don't get outraged when UNDER CHARGED. We just say nothing, pocket the cash and forget about it asap.

Aldi carries a fraction of the number of products that a proper supermarket does and their range changes very infrequently. It's only logical that there would be fewer mistakes.

Advertisement