Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Valu wrong price at till compared to shelves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Aldi carries a fraction of the number of products that a proper supermarket does

What are you in about. If you mean Tesco's scam lines of the same dog food labelled as specially selected people nosh in between the fags n alcohol your in there to buy, im afraid you have been scammed, like they scammed millions from investors for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

SuperValu Enniscorthy ripped me off by 25% on 6 packs of Frank's ice lollys last week. €2 instead of the shelf price €1.50

And a Ben and Jerry's ice cream for €7.50 instead of €6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

This is not unique to Supervalu.All the supermarkets do it.Sometimes it could down to staff laziness/incompetence.I will include Aldi and Lidl in this in case they are forgotten.Since "rounding" was introduced the number of incorrect price labels has increased across the sector.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My local one is the same, there'd be often a difference of a fiver or so in the cost of the shopping, and that's for one person! I always go back and point it out, and they always give me my money back. I was told it's because the special offers get placed on the shelves but the changes aren't always reflected immediately in the prices displayed by their tills, apparently the system gets updated centrally (go figure!). Still, it's a pain having to check the receipt every time before you leave the shop! Also, I do go back if I've been undercharged, fair is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

househero wrote: »
    What are you in about. If you mean Tesco's scam lines of the same dog food labelled as specially selected people nosh in between the fags n alcohol your in there to buy, im afraid you have been scammed, like they scammed millions from investors for a decade.

I literally have no idea what this means.

Go to Tesco. See how many brands of washing up liquid, tea bags, toilet paper, whatever, they have. Then go to Aldi. There is one variety of each.

So the chances of an error are much higher at Tesco because there are far more products to manage.

I know I'm wasting my time here. Nothing will convince people on this thread that there's anything other than a massive scam going on. That's just how some people think, but that doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

It's more likely you either don't notice or don't get outraged when UNDER CHARGED. We just say nothing, pocket the cash and forget about it asap.

I doubt if anyone notices if they are undercharged. However a lot of people will avail of a product that is on special offer when ordinarily they wouldn't. The point is being charged a higher price than the shelf price. SV in my experience seem to the worst for this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Wrong prices are rampant at my local SV but this has been going on for years.
    To the point that I avoid using them as much as possible but I kind of have to use them.I always calculate the expected shopping cost before going to checkout.

They were also rebranding their mince with labels that more expensive and different Use By dates than that underneath.
    And the biggest peeve for me, is selling individual cans of multipack beers at full whack.

I previously contacted SV through twitter about this. A waste of electrons it was!

I can't remember been once undercharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Always an issue in my local SV. Even when an error is highlighted at checkout, the same error occurs a few days later when buying same item again. I don't think they care

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

JackieChan wrote:
    And the biggest peeve for me, is selling individual cans of multipack beers at full whack.

Funnily enough there is nothing wrong with doing this. Although the cans say not for individual sale and probably don't even have a barcode, it's perfectly legal for a store to sell then individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭4Ad

Happens alot in my local SV in Clare..I always check the receipt..
    Only go there when stuck these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Always happens in my local SV as well. Look at previous threads - this is going on for years, nationwide. And I've rarely seen any other supermarket other than Supervalu mentioned.

Centra in mullagh cavan are notorious for this. I'm not exaggerating when I say 9 times out of 10 the special offer dies not correspond with the till. I tend to only buy the special offers on their own and be ready to correct the person the the till, I'm fed up doing this, if there was a decent shop in the area I wouldn't be going in at all. I genuinely believe this constant discrepancy is intentional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Always, always check your receipt from SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

SV price swindle continues. I have a pain in my hoop with SV and have been trying to stay away from them but sometime its too handy just to drop in.

Latest errors

5kg SV potatoes - Price on shelf 2 euro. Price at till 2.99

Nivia body spray - 3 for 5 euro on shelf. Price at till 9.20. charged individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

One thing I notice

They will have special offers all over the place on items of a specific weight or volume

There may be none or few of these specific items on the shelf and there will be a stack of the same items of a slightly different weight or volume in the same place at full price

This is obviously deliberate sales tactics and not illegal of course but will catch you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why wouldn't similar products go together? Do you expect them to but different weights of coffee in different parts of the shop so you don't get confused?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They often have the same product (same weight, etc) in different parts of the shop, e.g. both on shelves and on stands, but they have different prices. And the other way around, too, so the special offer sign is placed on the shelves under the wrong product (different weight, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

JohnC. wrote: »
    Why wouldn't similar products go together? Do you expect them to but different weights of coffee in different parts of the shop so you don't get confused?

For an example

They had 150g fruit pastilles on the shelf

A €1 sticker under them

However the €1 sticker applies to 120g pastilles of which there were none

So you will get caught if you don't check closely

This is a regular thing

The problem imo with SV is that they can't compete on standard pricing with the likes of aldi so they're resorting to special offer gimmickry

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

Glebee wrote: »
    SV price swindle continues. I have a pain in my hoop with SV and have been trying to stay away from them but sometime its too handy just to drop in.

Latest errors

5kg SV potatoes - Price on shelf 2 euro. Price at till 2.99

Nivia body spray - 3 for 5 euro on shelf. Price at till 9.20. charged individually.

I think you'll need more than Nivea body spray to fix that pain in your hoop, I'm just sayin' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    One thing I notice

They will have special offers all over the place on items of a specific weight or volume

There may be none or few of these specific items on the shelf and there will be a stack of the same items of a slightly different weight or volume in the same place at full price

This is obviously deliberate sales tactics and not illegal of course but will catch you out.

To be fair to SV all the big ones do it. Many a time Tesco have done this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

For an example

They had 150g fruit pastilles on the shelf

A €1 sticker under them

However the €1 sticker applies to 120g pastilles of which there were none

So you will get caught if you don't check closely

This is a regular thing

The problem imo with SV is that they can't compete on standard pricing with the likes of aldi so they're resorting to special offer gimmickry

Vote with your feet. You are obviously there often enough to notice these outrageous practices. Stop shopping there?

Homer wrote: »
    Vote with your feet. You are obviously there often enough to notice these outrageous practices. Stop shopping there?

It depends on where in the country you are - in some places you may have to drive the guts of 35km to find a different supermarket chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks for the heads up that SV are still masters at this little con. It's often extremely clever and subtle- perhaps the Colgate Whitening toothpaste is half price but right beside them on the shelf will be the Advanced Whitening tubes which are still full price and so on.
    I check exactly that its the same description and size as allegedly on offer and keep an eye on the till and receipt to check. Been caught out too often in the past by them.

And yes, funny how I've never been undercharged either. Very strange that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

One thing I notice

I think this is a standard 'scam' / 'tactic' that many retailers engage in. Unless you check very carefully what's written on the offer and compare against what you pick up, it's really easy to be tricked. I will echo that Aldi/ Lidl don't seem to engage in this, as they separate their special offers from the general items.

The business of labeling shelf items though and charging more at the till is very shady I think. Stand open to correction but there was a time when every individual item had to carry a price label that was indisputable. I think it was legally required? When barcode scanning came in, a dispensation was given I seem to recall to allow traders to just label the shelf. There was a rumpus at the time and I recall (maybe incorrectly) that consumers were assured that it would be illegal to charge more than the shelf marked price.

It's easy for management to update prices on their stock control systems. But it then requires active physical effort to change the shelf price and this is where they are failing the consumer.

Does anyone know what the relevant legislation is now around this issue? It happens so often, that there should be a concerted effort to catch the culprits, make it hurt financially and stamp this out, whether it's deliberate or accidental.

A few posters were saying that the staff are so busy they don't get around to updating the prices on offers when ended - how come they always find the time to raise the prices back up? I mean surely if that was actually the case then the special offers would get “accidentally” lowered for longer too...I’ve yet to see that!

Advertisement