Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping Wild Atlantic Way

Options
  • 19-07-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I was thinking of cycling & camping the Wild Atlantic Way next year and thought I'd start preparing now, but wanted some/all advice.

I'll have over a month during the summer off, hopefully the weather will be as picturesque as we've had over the last few weeks. I'm Cork based, and was thinking of starting in Donegal so that I'd be relatively fresh for new unknown
    scenery at the start; and the last stint home I do not have to worry too much about missing out, despite travelling on the far side of the road from the sea.

I'll be getting a new bike with the Bike2Work scheme, thinking of a Trek Hybrid, something like the "CrossRip 1" but open to any suggestions. Want to keep the bike for commuting afterwards. Just wondering what the route is like for camping and washing of clothes, and what would you recommend I bring along after tyre repair kit and camping gear essential, or anything that you think important. Also, how clear is the route outlined, should I get a GPS, or would occasionally checking on the phone be sufficient.

Was also thinking of a hub dynamo charger to keep the phone charger but have never used one and wondered if they were any good or affected the ride too much.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also, how clear is the route outlined, should I get a GPS, or would occasionally checking on the phone be sufficient.
    the WAW is well signposted, but it's 2,500km in total. nearly 100km a day were you to do the whole thing in a month. i wouldn't sweat sticking specifically to it if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Thanks, I'd be happy if I get the majority of it done, but I won't get too worried if I skip the odd peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Sir/Madame. You are will be breaking new ground. Do the WAW as you see fit. Document it all. Post the sheeeet out of it and keeep us all posted. Irish hospitality regardless of the weather will keep you going. The journey is real. Peace and Love!!!

Advertisement