Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with health problems in work

Options
  • 19-07-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

I have a number of medical issues which until now have been fairly well under control until now. Have had a fairly unexpected setback which will mean going on medication and possibly numerous hospital appointments until things settle . I work on a 6 month fixed term contract with no sick pay and I don’t think I have enough annual leave left to cover what lies ahead.
    I know I need to have a discussion with my manager and the agency I’m under but looking for some advice here too. I’ve been through this before and it will settle eventually but then I was in college and able to work appointments around lectures. On another note it’s on my mind the impact frequent absence will have on the potential extension of my contract in October.
    I know I’ve brought up a number of issues here and I probably need to talk to my manager a bit about my condition so she is somewhat aware of what’s going on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All you can do is lay your cards on the table, where possible plan unpaid days for appts etc and keep them appraised of progress.

I’d imagine it may well affect contract extension but perhaps your stellar performance and value to the company will exceed the downside of your health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

_Brian wrote: »
    All you can do is lay your cards on the table, where possible plan unpaid days for appts etc and keep them appraised of progress.

I’d imagine it may well affect contract extension but perhaps your stellar performance and value to the company will exceed the downside of your health issues.
    I haven’t disclosed my condition to the company, partly because it’s never affected me that much until now and when I disclosed in the past I didn’t have the best experience.

On another note, if it does mean my contract isn’t extended or things get to a point where I have to leave, how could I deal with this when looking fir work again once I get all this sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is it possible to work overtime on some days to cover up the hours you need the days off for? So doing double shifts on the 1 day essentially.

Advertisement