Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacts on window to alert if they have been left open

Options
  • 20-07-2018 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi there. We are looking at getting a new alarm fitted and I was wondering if this is this a thing that can be done? The window openings downstairs are plenty big enough for an adult to step through with ease, and if one was left open slightly it would be possible to fully open it without setting off shock sensor.

I was thinking it might be useful to put a contact sensor on and when alarm was being set, it would alert that a window is opened (and it has not been bypassed). Would I be right in thinking that the contact would be a separate zone to the shock sensor?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Fairly standard stuff. It would normally be on the same zone as the sensor.
    If the wiring and the panel capacity permits they could be on a separate zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lopesc

KoolKid wrote: »
    Fairly standard stuff. It would normally be on the same zone as the sensor.
    If the wiring and the panel capacity permits they could be on a separate zone.

Oh thats good to know, thanks so much!
    Is it common to but contact sensors on every window in the house? Having them on separate zone would mean that I could bypass the contact in an upstairs window on nights when it's very warm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    The norm is contacts and sensors on all ground floor and accessible points of entry. Option then for contacts on all other openings.
    Zones could be individually programmed off for night time or part setting or be bypassed or inhibited for any setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I have contacts on every opening (door and window) and full set won't arm until everything is closed. If I want to leave a window open at night, I can just inhibit the zone(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lopesc

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh I have contacts on every opening and full set won't arm until everything is closed.

That's great, just what I am looking for.
    fletch wrote: »
    If I want to leave a window open at night, I can just inhibit the zone(s).

Just gotta remember to do that when I go to bed at night with the window closed and decide to open it in the middle of the night :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

lopesc wrote: »

Just gotta remember to do that when I go to bed at night with the window closed and decide to open it in the middle of the night :o
    you could set up a part arm that inhibits the bedroom windows so you can use that at night by default. I like to do a full set every night as much as possible . Its only been with the recent heat wave that I've been leaving my bedroom window open so I just inhibit the zone so it still leaves all internal PIRs on too (I don't have kids who roam at night and rarely go downstairs in the middle of the night)

Most good systems now allow you to programme multiple part sets
    Eg
    One could be perimeter with pirs off.
    Another could be pirs off and bedroom windows off.
    Good modern systems can have 3-4 preset part set options programmed.

Advertisement