Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tough weed, Roundoff and weedol failed

Options
  • 20-07-2018 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

456203.PNG

This weed is all over the place,
    Can seem to kill it and its kinda bumming me out... (Joking oviously)
    Any ideas on what to use for it?

It seems pretty invassive, when I used weedol and roundup,
    All the other weeds died, but this decided to fill in the gaps and its worse than when the dead weeds were in place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    This weed is all over the place,
    Can seem to kill it and its kinda bumming me out... (Joking oviously)
    Any ideas on what to use for it?

It seems pretty invassive, when I used weedol and roundup,
    All the other weeds died, but this decided to fill in the gaps and its worse than when the dead weeds were in place.

It looks like silverweed which as you can see by the linked video clip is still to be found in my own garden. I do not use chemicals in my garden so can't comment on how it might react to these but I have found simply digging it out provides some control. Each plant is usually linked by runners to a whole string of other plants and if you are trying to remove it you'll need to follow these runners and remove all of them as it is very quick to send out new ones from existing plants. The Wikipedia page suggests the leaves used to be used as a way to absorb sweat in shoes and in some places the roots were eaten but it does point out the wild weedy version usually has roots too small and difficult to clean to be practical for eating.

I have it on my list of weeds to be removed as soon as I see them as it does spread very quickly and usually just use a trowel to loosen each plant in the soil before pulling them out and leaving to dry out and die on the surface and rot back in to the ground eventually. The clump in your photo might be better attacked with a garden fork initially but be careful of your hedge roots at the same time. Persistent digging out will control the plant but in the long term if there is an area of bare soil some weed will likely want to colonise it so some sort of ground cover plant or perennial might be worth considering for that area.

Advertisement